Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Florida and have had some form of boat as long as I have lived here. I had planned on getting a jet ski since that's all I think a car would be any good at towing. After getting the 6, I checked the owner's manual just to see what the towing limit is, and it tells me don't tow anything with it...ever!!

For you doubters out there I have added a link to page 4-10 of the owner's handbook. It seems pretty clear to me. http://angelfire.com/de2/diesel2/towing_4-10.jpg

I have never even read that before, now I'm wondering why not. I can't even get a hitch for the car, because I am afraid I will void the warranty if the dealer notices it. Has anyone else ran into this issue yet? With 220HP and 11" disc brakes I would think a 200lb jet ski really isn't pushing the envelope here.

The discovery is quite an unwelcome one, since summer is just around the corner. I traded a 4Runner for this car, and sold a pretty nice boat. Every time I turn the key and the dash says "Hello", I still think it was worth it.:)

For you doubters out there I have added a link to page 4-10 of the owner's handbook. It seems pretty clear to me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Towing with the Mazda 6

I can't explain why it says not to tow anyting. In Europe, there is a factory hitch available. Steve 6er has one. I've also got a couple photos of a guy in the states who had one custom-made.

Makes no sense to me. My '99 Stratus 4-cylinder had some towing capacity. You can bet if you tow with it and have any problems that 'could' be related to that, Mazda will give you grief. Stinks. I'm going to have one installed to use with a bike rack.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

You have missunderstood the whole thing.

You have the automatic trannie, right? It's YOU who may not be towed. Because if your car has to go to the shop and can't drive there, it has to be put on a trailer.

Ofcourse YOU can put a hitch on it and tow. Ask your dealer and I'm sure he comfirmes this.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Towing with the Mazda 6'

Steve - sent you a PM. Can you take some pics of your hitch installation? I'm probably going to have one custom built, but it'd be nice to see the factory one. THX.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I saw a Swedish movie once where a white Caprice (those old things you know.. boxy) towed one hellova boat! :) It was like 8-10 meters! I don't know the right termmm Capin Chruiser?

I hardy think the 6 will have any problem towing a bigger boat then a jet ski. A lot of people in Sweden who has fishing as their hobby has these Buster Magnum-boats (steer pulpet boat - Swedish name for that kind of boat) and they go fine with a normal car I think... But they are alu hulls with a windscreen when thinking of it :D Not on the heavy side exactly.

Steve? What's the maximum allowed tow weight for the 6? I guess you memories these things as you have the towbar...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Sorry, BB, I don't.... and even if I did, it's different on the hatch and wagon.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Here in Australia we can get a towbar as a factory/dealer fitted option... towing capacity of the 2.3L is 1500kg braked, 550kg unbraked...

As for being towed, they said to me 'dont ever get towed without fixing on this tow hitch into you front bumper, otherwise your bumper will be ripped off.' So maybe in other countries they don't have that option, but here in Aussie it seems to be ok to be towed as long as you have that hitch installed first.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Me think: not with an automatic!!!!

If you tow an automatic, you'll ruin its trannie. I think this have to do with the fact that an automatic has an oil pump and doesn't get lubricated without pressurizing the pump.

Thew tow hitch that is put into the front bumper is only meant to pull the car out of the ditch you've put it in - not to tow it anywhere.

No towing doesn't mean you can't pull it out of the ditch. You can.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

But if you call a towing firm, wount they come with a car with either a bed to put hte car on or a "lifting arm" that you put the car on, and then they lift the front up. No problem really that you can't tow.

And I hardly think any 6 has the need for towing unless there have bin an accident of some sort...

·
Registered
683 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

But if you call a towing firm, wount they come with a car with either a bed to put hte car on or a "lifting arm" that you put the car on, and then they lift the front up. No problem really that you can't tow.

And I hardly think any 6 has the need for towing unless there have bin an accident of some sort...[/b]
Yeah I think they mean you cant tow it behind an RV or something...with all 4 wheels on the ground? If the Front wheels are up in the air, I dont see what danger the trans could be in. Unless it has something to do with the TCS?

Maybe someone could get clarification on this?

·
Registered
683 Posts

Yeah i think thats what i said LOL ...
:D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Or maybe they figured it out :D If the car brakes down - don't tow it anywhere! EVER!! That way every time the car brakes down you have to buy a new one :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
60 Posts

I have an Australian 2.3L M6 Auto hatch and on the weekend towed 1000kg worth of bricks in a box trailer a distance of 300kms. No worries. It's fitted with a factory, dealer-fitted towbar rated to 1000kg if the trailer has it's own brakes, 600kg if has not.

So there must be something very different about the US spec M6 compared to Oz.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ok everyone lets take a vote here and see, am I the only one in America who got the handbook that says absolutely no towing? Review page 4-10 in your American owners manual and then click the link below, and tell me if the 4 cyl and/or and models without the sport package say no towing also.

http://angelfire.com/de2/diesel2/towing_4-10.jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Towing with the Mazda 6'

Well, in the European and Australian they say towing is ok. They say don't tow for the first 1000kms, and when towing to make sure the radiator is clear, and you get the car serviced more often, and you use manual/activematic to drive, not automatic. It's got about 6 pages in my manual about what to do when towing etc :)

As for being towed, it says the car isn't allowed to be towed except if the front wheels are put on those skateboard thingies :)

But the manual *does* make it pretty clear that towing is bad for your M6 and will probably reduce its life, require more servicing, and to watch closely for overheating, check the oil regularly, etc... even says you might have to re-aim your headlights.

Max towing capacity of 550kg if the trailer/campervan has no brakes on it, 1500kg if the trailer/campervan has its own brakes.

-- Rainchild

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in Canada and it seems impossible to et a hitch for my mazda 6...except from u haul (maybe they will sell anything and don't care?) I have 1 16 ft Legend..boat and trailer = 2000 pounds..think I can tow it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts