Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 Mazda6 wagon. Recently had a Yakima roof racks installed, and have a Thule kayak carrier. Got the Kayak all rigged up in the carrier, and the final step is to secure the bow/stern of the boat w/ties attached to the tow hooks. WELL...we looked all around and can't seem to find any tow hooks. We found one hooky, circle thing under the rear right bumper...but the manual says not to use that for tying down. I can't find any mention of where to find them in the manual. Do they even exist?? if not I guess we take the chance of unsecure bow/stern. Anyone done this kind of hauling w/ their wagon??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please!!!!

Has anyone carried a kayak on their 6 wagon?? Like I said, I have the cradle, but would love to be able to secure bow and stern straps...just can't find a secure "tow hook" type place on the front or rear. Wil I just have to chance it without the bow and stern?? can anyone help??

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
What BM said is true as far as I know, but I'd be willing to bet you could tie something on there without problems. That tow hook is very strong. Just make sure the ropes aren't touching anything hot, like the muffler, and I'd think you'd be good to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I would take a shot at reviving this thread. Are there any kayakers that drive a 6 wagon out there?? Mine is a 2005, and I can find NO spot for tying down long boats. Example: I have a removable Thule roof rack and Yakima Kayak cradles. When carrying short boats, the cradles are secure enough to not need tie downs. I have wondered though, when I need to carry a very long boat, i would need to tie down the front and back to something on the car...I just don't know where. Any ideas?

·
Registered
293 Posts
read the above posts, the answer has not changed, tie it to the tow hook in the back right and in the front, tie it to the hood latch or something

·
Registered
680 Posts
well I have a 4door sedan no wagon; but I put my kayak on my roof No rack or anything. I use one of those floating funions from a swimming pool as cusion underneath it. I just rachet it down thru the doors in the front and back. Rachet it down then close your doors. Only EYE HOOK you will find is the right rear and it sucks. Hope this helps you out. I have a 9.6ft Otter Sport kayak.

·
Registered
747 Posts
QUOTE (Business @ Jun 27 2008, 11:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1378775
It's strongly advised to not do any sort of towing on a 6. I read the manual front and back one day while taking a massive dump. That's the only reason why I know this.[/b]
Yes, the US Manual says not to use the first-gen 6 as the towing vehicle, i.e. do not attach a trailer to the back of your 6, despite the fact that it is basically the same as the European vehicle which can tow small things.

When it comes to having the 6 towed, i.e. it is the towee, being towed by another vehicle - lets say you end up in a ditch with your front facing out, how do you have the tow-truck pull it out of that situation if there are no tow hooks up front?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts