Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My tow hook cap on the front bumper is suddenly missing on my 2017 Mazda 6 GT! (see attached screen shot for exact location--it's the round circle thing on the bumper.) Either it fell off, or someone took it off. :frown2:

My 2 questions:
1) Has anyone replaced these before? Would a 2016 cap work on a 2017?
2) What is the best way to replace this part with the factory color (dealer, paint & body shop)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
--Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
One thing I know is that the cap (or at least the location and I think the shape) is different on the GT versus the Touring and Sport which are the same. The Touring with Tech package may not fit this comment... it may be same as the GT? I think '16 and '17 and '17.5 are the same.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Oh, and BTW, that is not intended to be used as a tow hook. It is in place for securing the car, shipboard, on shipment from Hiroshima. The workshop manual expressly says this and indicates it's not to be used.

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
I've got a spare one laying around for when I want to do photo shoots and pull the front plate off.

Get a spare at your local dealer in the factory paint color - they're like $10.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update: the dealer needed the last 8 numbers of my VIN to match the paint color. They ordered one for me (it will get here in 1 week) and the total cost was $24. No big deal at all, thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This information above on this thread is a little old - but also very inaccurate & misleading. I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring - recently had the tow hook cap taken from my car. I called the dealer. & ordered the part based off the above info listed here. They asked for the last 8 numbers of my vin just as you mentioned - and ordered the part. Came in a day later. When I swung in to pick it up - the part came UNPAINTED. Imagine my MASSIVE IRRITATION at this revelation. The service dept did NOT mention to me over the phone when placing the order - that the part would not be painted to match. When I picked it up & they told me this - they also told me that MAZDA never orders this part painted to match - you have to take it to an auto-body collision/paint place to have it painted to match. So on top of the $12 part - I had to pay another $68 to have this stupid waste-of-time part painted to match. Just wanted to put this out there for others who find themselves having to figure out how to get this part replaced. Good luck!

·
Rally Racer
2,542 Posts
or

0.58¢ at an out salvage yard + entrance fee. So $1.58 if you're lucky w/color match. Fuel price exclude.
Good luck finding a 2018 in a salvage yard that has not been in an accident (usually frontal) and is the color you need... [unicorn]

The dealer lists this part for $5.27 and it is color specific.
Bumper & Components - Front for 2017 Mazda 6 | Mazda NY Parts
Tow Bracket Cover (Meteor Grey) GHP9-50-A11A-27

1 - 11 of 11 Posts