Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in my car yesterday afternoon to drive home from work and before the safety warning had a chance to display, it popped up with a notice that the screen was too hot, and may not function properly. I have an hour commute, so I thought it would cool as the A/C ran. Ten minutes later, the same message popped up again. Thirty minutes into the drive (car has been running the entire time), the system rebooted. According to the console, outside temp was running 100-103 degrees.

Just got off the phone with the dealer, and all they know to do right now is check the software version. Unless the updates changes the temperature parameters, that won't fix it. Surely Mazda did full solar load testing on this design before deciding to stick it on top of the dash... It's the same location in the Miata, and it stands to suffer more direct sunlight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm, mine did this once when I left the cover on the sunroof open and forgot to put up my windshield sunscreen while at work. However, the warning only showed up once and I don't notice any loss in functionally.

This 100˚ weather does have me longing for remote start. You might want to invest in a good windshield sunscreen, it does help tremendously!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the market for one now...but it shouldn't need the shading. I'm in East Tennessee, and we don't really get stupid hot...we have high humidity and that makes it feel worse. But for people in Sante Fe or Phoenix, or even you in OKC; you guys see air temps of what, 120+? Take a thermometer out and put it in your car on one of those days and see what it says.

FWIW, it's a black on black car, and I'm getting the windows tinted soon...

·
Registered
521 Posts
My car sits out in the elements 24 hrs a day/365 days an year. I try to use a sun screen as much as possible, but that doesn't stop the car from heating upto 105 degrees by evening commute. A coworker has a Tesla, and is pretty mental about keeping the temperature inside his car low so he does not have to overwork the battery. He got a huper optik on the windshield, and claims it keeps the car 20 to 25 degrees cooler. It does have a mild blue hue though, and i would be worried if a cop spots it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the market for one now...but it shouldn't need the shading. I'm in East Tennessee, and we don't really get stupid hot...we have high humidity and that makes it feel worse. But for people in Sante Fe or Phoenix, or even you in OKC; you guys see air temps of what, 120+? Take a thermometer out and put it in your car on one of those days and see what it says.

FWIW, it's a black on black car, and I'm getting the windows tinted soon...
Here in OKC it easily stays above 100 during this time of year and the sun can be pretty brutal. One reason I went with the parchment interior, it actually does stay considerably cooler than black. Tint is a must here and the sunshade I purchased is one of the best I've owned.. Picked it up on amazon, here's the link. It fits around the sensor array in my 2016 GT with Tech perfectly. Though it sounds like you may not need one so heavy duty.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
The inside temp of a car on a moderately warm (it's somewhat also about being sunny than it is just warm) day - after just an hour - can easily reach 140F[1]. Easily. It wouldn't surprise me one bit for a car sitting in the sun all day in 100+ degree temps to reach into the 170s.

The electronics inside the display is only rated for a maximum temperature (typically around the 120-ish mark for consumer grade IIRC). When it exceeds that, it must shut down to protect itself. Otherwise components can melt and fry themselves. There are three issues: the components themselves are generating their own heat, which is added to how hot they already are from the ambient temp and the heat they've been absorbing all day, and they're having a very difficult time bleeding off all this heat like they normally could. The heatsinks and other measures aren't effective.

In the past, I've had my iPhone shut down after being indoors in the A/C all day when I tried to use it for more than a few minutes inside my hot car - even with the car A/C blasting. The plastic tray under the headunit (so not in direct sunlight) where I usually put my iPhone simply would not cool down.

Even putting the phone in the cup holder (where more cold air could reach) sometimes didn't do much good. It's simply the nature of consumer electronics - they're not built to withstand industrial heat tolerances.

I don't remember the exact numbers, so don't hold me to this, but IIRC the industrial type tolerant touch screen displays I used to work with for firetruck type applications were only rated to around 150-160F.

[1] How hot can the interior of a car get ? and how quickly? : HeatKills

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to work for a tier 1 supplier for a major automotive company. I worked in the test department where we did product launches, and even took a trip to Detroit to do on-vehicle testing in a climate chamber. The amount of testing that goes into a product is unreal (just look at this link Browse Standards on Exterior lighting : Topic Results - SAE International ) . They do design testing to make sure the plan will work in all aspects and aim to cover 90% of the market in how each component is used. I know Mazda is going to have done the same type of testing not just on the car, but on individual components as well. We did headlights and taillights at that company, and there were tests for solar load, which is to simulate the impact of the sun and extreme ambient temps. Most of this testing is to ensure not just the functionality of the part/system, but also the aesthetics as well (does the coating crack, bubble, flake, change color, does this thing still work? kind of stuff). We did a random vibration profile in 3 axis (vertical, front to back and side to side) for 8 hours in each direction while cycling a temp profile from -40 C to 80 C.

The good news is I went to see the dealer yesterday afternoon, and they are going to replace the entire unit. They had not heard of this problem and "called it in" to Mazda Corp. who advised to replace not just the touch screen, but the computer under as well. There were a couple other issues I discussed with them, but we will see how that pans out with the new computer.

·
Super Moderator
16,781 Posts
Glad the dealership treated you as they should have and you got a new unit.

The window tint will help tremendously and keep the car 15 - 20 degrees cooler on hot days - be mindful of the direction in which you park as well. Parking with the rear of the car facing the sun will not only save your dash/head unit, but your seats/steering wheel as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No word back from the dealer yet on when the new system gets here.

Temps have been unbearable lately and yesterday we had a bit of a break with the high not reaching 90. That said, we had a bit of a shower right before I left and that cooled things off a bit.

I've said all that to say that on the way home, about 30-35 minutes of driving, the infotainment system shut down. The Mazda logo came up, then dimmed. It stayed that way until I pressed the home button on the console. It brightened back up and finished loading. No other issues. This may not be strictly temperature related. Either way, Mazda is replacing the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My replacement screen is taking forever to arrive as well. Ironically I live in CA and have been having the overheating issue quite a lot the last few weeks, but the screen is being replaced because dust was forming on the inside of the actual unit. I have no idea how that's getting inside the screen but the dealer said they'd replace it for that reason so I didn't have to mention the overheating. I wonder if I should I anyway since it was mentioned earlier that Mazda said to replace the computer as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts