Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing work on my car for quite some time, and i feel its now time i spend a few bucks and get a torque wrentch...i dont wanna get anything super crazy that talks to me and tells me when the bolt/lug is torqued enough...basically something that just gets the job done...

got any suggestions on what kind/size/type to buy???

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
K-mart has a Stanley torque wrench for $39.99 (At least the last time I worked they did), granted the quality isn't that of Craftsman, but it will get the job done at about half the price.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just go to Home Depot and get a HUSKY.

Guaranteed forever!

1/2 In. Drive Torque Wrench 50-250 Ft.-Lb.

Model 39104

Price: $69.96/ea

If you drop it, 9 out of 10 times it will need recalibrated

John :cool:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have the Husky one that txwagon menioned. I have used it numerous times for torquing lug nuts and such. It's an extremely well made tool and even comes with its own molded case. Whatever you buy, make sure it's a "clicker style" unit. And a little FYI on torque wrenches: After using the wrench, return the torque setting to "0" to avoid calibration issues.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
i think the best torque wrench is the "automatic" ones where u can set the torque and then when u reach that range, u'll hear the click...

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Husky one that txwagon menioned. I have used it numerous times for torquing lug nuts and such. It's an extremely well made tool and even comes with its own molded case. Whatever you buy, make sure it's a "clicker style" unit. And a little FYI on torque wrenches: After using the wrench, return the torque setting to "0" to avoid calibration issues.
[/b]
thanks alot for the info yeah i was looking into some craftman stuff from sears seems well made and not to expensive..click on got it...appreciate the help guys hopefully this will be a gift dad can pick up for me :nana:

·
Registered
44 Posts
A little FYI for you guys, stanley is way way better the craftsman or husky, stanley owns MAC tools, and all the mac stuff is just restamped stanley tools. Trust me, i know. I work at a shop and the mac guy told me so, hes not like every other tool guy, basically he not a @$$hole. So if i were you id go stanley!

·
Registered
578 Posts
A little FYI for you guys, stanley is way way better the craftsman or husky, stanley owns MAC tools, and all the mac stuff is just restamped stanley tools. Trust me, i know. I work at a shop and the mac guy told me so, hes not like every other tool guy, basically he not a @$$hole. So if i were you id go stanley!
[/b]
Your argument makes no sense. You fail to tell anyone why Stanley tools are better than Craftsman or Husky. Just because they are MAC tools renamed Stanley? If so, what makes MAC tools better?

All I know is I have broken a lot more Stanley tools than I ever have with Craftsman or Husky. Stanley tools "feel" very cheap to me and they don't seem to last. If I need to return anything made by Craftsman or Husky, there are 3 Sears and 4 Home Depots within 20 miles of my house. The few times I've had to get replacments, it has been very convenient. Don't know if I could say the same for Stanley tools, probably because I don't own any anymore.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unless you're a professional engine builder or a mechanic, there's no point in wasting a lot of money on a torque wrench? A cheap one will get you within a few ft lbs of true torque. My question is, how have you been putting on your wheels without a torque wrench? That's gotta be one of the most crucial things to torque.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless you're a professional engine builder or a mechanic, there's no point in wasting a lot of money on a torque wrench? A cheap one will get you within a few ft lbs of true torque. My question is, how have you been putting on your wheels without a torque wrench? That's gotta be one of the most crucial things to torque.
[/b]

yeah this is why i need one...i've really only taken them off twice myself to paint the callipers..and i know i'm going to need to take them off again to repaint them soon....monstly by feel i guess not too much torque where i'm struggling but not alot less to where the wheel is going to come off....other than that tires rotated by Mazda every 6k miles and an oil change ever 3k.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah this is why i need one...i've really only taken them off twice myself to paint the callipers..and i know i'm going to need to take them off again to repaint them soon....monstly by feel i guess not too much torque where i'm struggling but not alot less to where the wheel is going to come off....other than that tires rotated by Mazda every 6k miles and an oil change ever 3k.
[/b]
Well, that's a pretty good rule of thumb. Alloy rims don't need tons of torque, but being able to torque them accurately and precisely will make you feel more confident the next time to change your tires. Also, a torque wrench really should be used for just about any bolt, so it's good to have.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
well i went out to Advanced Auto Parts, and picked one up for 20 bucks..its a little 3/8 driver...not to bad, but it'll get the job done...thanx alot guys!
[/b]
Oh no!

I bought a cheap torque wrench from the same store and they have to replace it twice because it broke. Finally I requested a refund because it's rediculous for it to break that easily.

Hopefully you didn't buy the same kind. Is it the clicking kind, with the dial on the handle to adjust the torque?

·
Registered
122 Posts
What is the range on that wrench? We have a 3/8 drive one at work that will only go up to 85 ft lbs, which isn't enough for wheels. A good rule of thumb is to stay between 20% and 80% of max torque on the wrench. So if you're torquing your wheels to 100 ft lbs, a torque wrench that goes up to about 125 ft lbs is ideal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
Jax6S
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing