Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
The center armrest, depending on seat position can be near useless and the driver's door armrest is barely padded, narrow and slightly too far away (in my opinion). I feel like Mazda lets their own wants get in the way of what the majority of buyers want.

· Registered
58 Posts
I love so many things about my M6, but I hate the collision avoidance (automatic braking) system. It hasn't prevented any accidents and has almost caused several by slamming on the brakes when unnecessary. To be honest, I had a bad habit of passing too closely by cars making a right hand turn. When I first got the car, it slammed on the brakes (like 45 mph to 5 mph) several times in the first 2 weeks of ownership doing this. Every time the car turning had already cleared my forward path when the brake were slammed on. I considered it a good safety retraining for me to break that habit. I still turned it off every time I drove the car for weeks but stopped because it's not a simple procedure to do that, you have to turn several features off and navigate through the menus. I would be happy if there was a single dash button to defeat it like there is for traction control.
The last time it overreacted was just a couple weeks ago in city traffic. I was stopped behind many cars at a red light. The light turned green and everyone started to go. I'm not sure why but someone up ahead suddenly stopped. Well there was the accordian effect with each car having to brake harder and harder the further back you were. I was only going about10-15 mph and there was about a 2 car length gap between me and the car ahead when they braked hard. In a split second I thought "Oh sh*t", then just a fraction of a second later I could tell I was good, that I could stop in time. But Oh No, the car decided I couldn't and locked up the brakes. I almost got rear ended by the car behind me.

· Registered
39 Posts
I love so many things about my M6, but I hate the collision avoidance (automatic braking) system. It hasn't prevented any accidents and has almost caused several by slamming on the brakes when unnecessary. To be honest, I had a bad habit of passing too closely by cars making a right hand turn. When I first got the car, it slammed on the brakes (like 45 mph to 5 mph) several times in the first 2 weeks of ownership doing this. Every time the car turning had already cleared my forward path when the brake were slammed on. I considered it a good safety retraining for me to break that habit. I still turned it off every time I drove the car for weeks but stopped because it's not a simple procedure to do that, you have to turn several features off and navigate through the menus. I would be happy if there was a single dash button to defeat it like there is for traction control.
The last time it overreacted was just a couple weeks ago in city traffic. I was stopped behind many cars at a red light. The light turned green and everyone started to go. I'm not sure why but someone up ahead suddenly stopped. Well there was the accordian effect with each car having to brake harder and harder the further back you were. I was only going about10-15 mph and there was about a 2 car length gap between me and the car ahead when they braked hard. In a split second I thought "Oh sh*t", then just a fraction of a second later I could tell I was good, that I could stop in time. But Oh No, the car decided I couldn't and locked up the brakes. I almost got rear ended by the car behind me.
Definitely can be a bit finicky when following too closely behind someone as they're turning, but I just lightly apply the brake to avoid it from triggering. Even if you know you have ample space, sometimes accelerating will cause it to activate. Also, DID YOU KNOW? The scbs WILL activate at speeds of excess of 80 mph? Super fun.

· Registered
58 Posts
Just an update on my comment. I had been turning off multiple things/systems to make sure I was disabling the annoying automatic braking system. So many steps, and so much time to do this, it just plain took too long to do everytime before driving. But from soneone's comment, I think just disabling SCBS alone will do the trick. I'm sure I can memorize the series of clicks and turns of the navigation knob to do this efficiently, will be doing this from now on.

· Registered
58 Posts
Number of steps to disable SCBS, not too many: HB - CRx2 - P - RT - CR - P - P

HB = home button
CRx2 = clockwise rotate the nav knob 2 clicks
P = push the nav knob down
RT = right tilt the nav knob
CR = clockwise rotate the nav knob 1 click

I can pretty much see the steps in my peripheral vision without actually looking at the center display. I know, I'm a big nerd, lol.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts