Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had the car for a while and some things I have come to hate about the car. But I still wouldn’t trade it for another platform.

Let me know if your gripes are the same, or if you have additional ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

· Registered
2,081 Posts
Gripes include the breathtakingly thin sheet metal (which seems so, so fragile), the Sport trim's mousehair upholstery (hard to clean, gets pulls, gets pilled), the vanilla-plain, unremarkable character and unengaging performance (and coarseness) of the 2.5 engine, and the road noise.

Oh, as some would know, here, I'm not an EPAS fan... I can tell it's EPAS... and as EPAS systems goes, it's pretty good - but for me HPAS is superior re highway high-speed ease.

· Registered
38 Posts
2 things from me.

1 - Dealer network: The dealers that are "local" to me just suck, which might as well be a compliment. Part prices are aggressively marked up, "technicians" can't perform basic repairs without breaking / damaging something, upselling unnecessary services, labor rates for basic are insane. ($40 labor fee for engine air filter replacement, $70 for cabin air filter).

2. Marketing: Mazda would love me to believe this is not only a full on sports sedan, but also a luxury car. It is neither. It is slightly sporty and very well appointed in relation to other midsize sedans in its price bracket and that is absolutely fine.

· Registered
372 Posts
Gripes include the breathtakingly thin sheet metal (which seems so, so fragile), the Sport trim's mousehair upholstery (hard to clean, gets pulls, gets pilled), the vanilla-plain, unremarkable character and unengaging performance (and coarseness) of the 2.5 engine, and the road noise.

Oh, as some would know, here, I'm not an EPAS fan... I can tell it's EPAS... and as EPAS systems goes, it's pretty good - but for me HPAS is superior re highway high-speed ease.
To be fair majority of NA 4 cylinders are rough sounding, even the newer Toyota 2.5L.
4 cylinder turbos are smoother, driven the Ford 2.0T and Audi 2.0T and almost feel like a NA V6 with much smoother idle too.

· Registered
2,081 Posts
The general rule of thumb, back in the day, was that 2 litres, by way of 4 cyl engine size, was the limit for relative smoothness, acceptable smoothness. That was when balance shafts were not common, and when engines were oversquare... or at least when somewhat performance-oriented engines were oversquare. The 2.5 in my Mazda6 has, I believe, over 4" in the way of stroke. 'Real long; long strokes exacerbate roughness characteristics. Yes, we have balance shafts, but to the contrary - we have aluminum blocks... light weight, less mass. I keep going back to my '99 Camry 2.2 L4 5speed manual. Iron block, balance shafts, smooth as velvet. Only about 135 hp I believe, but honestly, the car drives so, so well (to the extent that I can't part with it). To many folks it's garbage by comparison. There's hardly a car made that I cannot make friends with... each has its own area of excellence in one or more areas or aspects. And believe me, I really am picky. And it's unfair to look at a late '90's Toyota, the Camry, in its (relatively) golden days and compare it to a modern-day car (for quality, anyways).

· Registered
372 Posts
The general rule of thumb, back in the day, was that 2 litres, by way of 4 cyl engine size, was the limit for relative smoothness, acceptable smoothness. That was when balance shafts were not common, and when engines were oversquare... or at least when somewhat performance-oriented engines were oversquare. The 2.5 in my Mazda6 has, I believe, over 4" in the way of stroke. 'Real long; long strokes exacerbate roughness characteristics. Yes, we have balance shafts, but to the contrary - we have aluminum blocks... light weight, less mass. I keep going back to my '99 Camry 2.2 L4 5speed manual. Iron block, balance shafts, smooth as velvet. Only about 135 hp I believe, but honestly, the car drives so, so well (to the extent that I can't part with it). To many folks it's garbage by comparison. There's hardly a car made that I cannot make friends with... each has its own area of excellence in one or more areas or aspects. And believe me, I really am picky. And it's unfair to look at a late '90's Toyota, the Camry, in its (relatively) golden days and compare it to a modern-day car (for quality, anyways).
Reviews for the Ford 2.3L Ecoboost are positive for smoothness as well.

Close, just under 4".

Bore, mm
89.0 (3.50 in)
Stroke, mm
100.0 (3.94 in)

· Registered
2,081 Posts
Reviews for the Ford 2.3L Ecoboost are positive for smoothness as well.

Close, just under 4".

Bore, mm
89.0 (3.50 in)
Stroke, mm
100.0 (3.94 in)
Fair enough. I imagine conn rod weight, wrist pin weight, piston weight, block stiffening, and likely more design parameters still go-in to the "relative smoothness" equation. All I can say is that the Skyactiv-G 2.5 is no paragon of smoothness.

· Registered
2013 Mazda 6i Grand Touring - 2.5L I4 Auto
484 Posts
The things I hate about my Mazda6:

1: The automatic wipers: They have a mind of their own and every time it rains I have to manually activate or deactivate them manually. VERY frustrating.
2. The windscreen defrost: This causes the recirculation to switch off and then you can smell odors from outside the car.
3. Bose stereo: Poor quality speakers have failed and there is a reasonable number of people who have suffered amplifier failure.
4. Power seats: They move too slowly and they do not adjust far enough backwards.
5. Auto window: Only the driver's window has auto up/down. My wife's 2011 Camry has it on every window.
6. Brake pads: The brake pads have a number of little metal pieces that enable the brake level warning. Easy to lose and mix up.

· Registered
276 Posts
Not sure if it is a running change in the model years, or a trim level thing, or what, but my 2016 Touring has the auto up/down windows for all four doors.
I agree - this engine sounds and feels like a tractor motor. A fun zoomy tractor, but still a tractor! At 2.5 liters, it should be a V6, ideally like the old Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5 super sweet motor!

· Registered
2,081 Posts
Hey Brother, that Busso V6, that really IS the deal. Generally, I'm not fond of V6's (I like in-line 6's)... but for whatever reason that Busso in the Alfa is/was heaven. I test-drove two Alfa 164's, one SOHC 12 valve, the other DOHC 24 valve, and though the latter had more power, the former just was sweeter... I don't know why. Lovely sound and feel. Only Alfa's reliability rep gave me pause...

· Registered
3,791 Posts
I hate..... nothing about my 2015 MTX, and it has over 230,000 miles on it.

I would like more smoothness at idle, but I can't have it and not have the butter-soft lower engine mount. Hate? No, its what you have with a 2.5L long-stroke 4-cylinder and once moving I don't notice anything bad from it. The 2.0L in a "3" is smoother because... duh. (Smaller bangs per hole, etc.) However, its also less powerful.

I would like less road noise in the cabin, but I cut mine by 3db with some judiciously placed sound insulation about a month after I bought it, and at the same time I replaced the factory audio. Is it "funeral home quiet"? No. Does it bother me? Not at all.

I have no complaints with the EPS; it's fine.

I would really like better ratios in the MTX, specifically, 1-2 is materially too wide. Its the one significant black mark on drivability from my point of view. I have to assume Mazda got snookered there based on other constraints (e.g. what gearsets would fit in the space available) but that one ratio shift is quite annoying. You get used to it, but its unique and a black mark on what is otherwise a very social MTX.

I would like a "more-premium" interior but I didn't pay for one and, frankly, most of that sort of thing is ridiculously overpriced these days and has been for 20 years. I have a Sport, added Wet Okole seatcovers on the front about a month or so after I bought it, they're still in there and still look pretty good for being what my back and butt rest on for 230,000 miles.

If you think you were going to get a Porsche for this sort of money you're crazy. What you were going to get is a reasonably-sporty sedan that can return close to 40mpg on the highway and has remarkably low operating cost and high reliability.

I got what I bought, and I'm very happy with it.

· Registered
2,081 Posts
I hate..... nothing about my 2015 MTX, and it has over 230,000 miles on it.

I would like more smoothness at idle, but I can't have it and not have the butter-soft lower engine mount. Hate? No, its what you have with a 2.5L long-stroke 4-cylinder and once moving I don't notice anything bad from it. The 2.0L in a "3" is smoother because... duh. (Smaller bangs per hole, etc.) However, its also less powerful.

I would like less road noise in the cabin, but I cut mine by 3db with some judiciously placed sound insulation about a month after I bought it, and at the same time I replaced the factory audio. Is it "funeral home quiet"? No. Does it bother me? Not at all.

I have no complaints with the EPS; it's fine.

I would really like better ratios in the MTX, specifically, 1-2 is materially too wide. Its the one significant black mark on drivability from my point of view. I have to assume Mazda got snookered there based on other constraints (e.g. what gearsets would fit in the space available) but that one ratio shift is quite annoying. You get used to it, but its unique and a black mark on what is otherwise a very social MTX.

I would like a "more-premium" interior but I didn't pay for one and, frankly, most of that sort of thing is ridiculously overpriced these days and has been for 20 years. I have a Sport, added Wet Okole seatcovers on the front about a month or so after I bought it, they're still in there and still look pretty good for being what my back and butt rest on for 230,000 miles.

If you think you were going to get a Porsche for this sort of money you're crazy. What you were going to get is a reasonably-sporty sedan that can return close to 40mpg on the highway and has remarkably low operating cost and high reliability.

I got what I bought, and I'm very happy with it.
Very well summed-up. I agree with all points. And I, too, don't hate anything about it. Many things can be addressed, if they bug you enough... like seats (and I'm thinking Wet Okole, too), noise mitigation, sound (a bit of a sport exh), etc. As to the body gauge fragility, you can be extra careful (and hope for the best) and address any dents as they may occur. Carpet quality: cover 'em up with full-coverage, model-specific, aftermarket mats. Orange Virus tune and/or possibly a throttle controller...

I got an INCREDIBLE deal in purchasing this car. Bottom trim line cars have 90% of the goodness at, oh, 70% of the purchase price; loss-leaders.

Yeah, it's not a Porsche, but it is a small % of a Porsche's price - and reliability, longevity are excellent, if not general durability.

· Registered
38 Posts
I may not be at 230k yet, but I'm past 115k and while this car still FEELS somewhat flimsy to me, the interior is damn near showroom new still, with the only real exception being the awesome, premium, piano gloss black trim around the gear selector.

· Registered
6 Wagon - 2.5L - GJ - mk III
104 Posts
Hate something about this car? well no really, just many small thing that it should have compare to the market (in europe)
  • wiper, maybe like all other brand, does perform perfect, you can drive a VW or peugoet, it's all the same, freaky boring
  • no athermic windshield, what a shame.
  • no automatic sunroof close, but easy with aftermarket accessories.
  • no automatic window close with the key, no mirror folder, but exist in other countries...
  • no automatic door close once you drive
  • no ski trap in the middle of the rear seat.
  • too much button on the sterring wheel
  • really poor head unit
  • impossible to use the left driver armrest, it really sucks for long travel, really too far from the driver, is it made for fat people only!?
  • not enough clearence with the roof, far tall guy.
  • passenger seat can't be lowered.
  • brakes are hard, it's not a big problem but to brake hard, you have to push hard. (japan's car problem)
  • center console is not rigid enough, you can feel it moving when passenger put arm on it.
  • no electrochromatic side mirror
  • center console cup holder, just a joke if you want to put something else... why does it still exist has it is forbidden to drink while driving!
  • gas door independant from car lock, i always forget to open it before getting out of the car.
  • impossible to adjust fog lights
many things left for a top trim level, compare to other cars at same price. concurrence is german cars, and some french cars. here, no japan car to compare.

the only thing that really piss me off is the front drivetrain as the car don't turn in corner... on wet road, it goes straight, but the tires are from the factory, far from the end and 8 yo. i will see when i will change them if things are going better or not. i wish to get a better feeling to feel safer.

· Registered
2,081 Posts
Hate something about this car? well no really, just many small thing that it should have compare to the market (in europe)
  • wiper, maybe like all other brand, does perform perfect, you can drive a VW or peugoet, it's all the same, freaky boring
  • no automatic window close with the key, no mirror folder, but exist in other countries...
  • really poor head unit
  • impossible to use the left driver armrest, it really sucks for long travel, really too far from the driver, is it made for fat people only!?
  • brakes are hard, it's not a big problem but to brake hard, you have to push hard. (japan's car problem)
  • center console is not rigid enough, you can feel it moving when passenger put arm on it.
  • center console cup holder, just a joke if you want to put something else... why does it still exist has it is forbidden to drink while driving!
  • gas door independant from car lock, i always forget to open it before getting out of the car.
many things left for a top trim level, compare to other cars at same price. concurrence is german cars, and some french cars. here, no japan car to compare.

the only thing that really piss me off is the front drivetrain as the car don't turn in corner... on wet road, it goes straight, but the tires are from the factory, far from the end and 8 yo. i will see when i will change them if things are going better or not. i wish to get a better feeling to feel safer.
At 8 years old, tires are indeed getting "tired" regardless of the wear, as you point out. I believe the 19" tires you have are, if the same brand as those on the North American 19" wheel Mazda6's, are not well regarded.

· Registered
2,081 Posts
  • really poor head unit

I know there are a few (if not many) things, features (or lack thereof) that you find (compared to other marques of cars) - but as for me - and I have a bottom trim-line Mazda6 (the "GX", in Canada) - what are the 3 overriding and most important aspects of the car? i) reliability; ii) longevity; and iii) "piacere guidare" - driving pleasure, drive quality. My Mazda6 makes great marks for i) and ii). It makes reasonable marks for iii) - though I could say it makes excellent marks for iii) if one considers price. For durability, a fourth item... we shall see. It just seems fragile to me, compared to my older vehicles, Toyota's (2), Honda (1), and a really old VW. Oh, and a Moto Guzzi...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts