Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man Im happy first couple of runs wernt all that good but got much better ..and pics soon ..

first run i pulled a 14.6 ...but missed 3rd
second run i pulled a 14.1 (not bad)mph of 97.6
third run :drive: I pulled a 13.798 w/ a 60ft of 1.786 and a 97.18 mph :D
and the fourth run I pulled a 13.9 w/a 60ft of 1.83 and a mph of 96.76

But to say the least I am very very pleased :love: And I was also proud to see another member there as well ..(Jshelms) glad to see we represented the 6 well . pics will be up soon .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Man Im happy first couple of runs wernt all that good but got much better ..and pics soon ..

But to say the least I am very very pleased :love: And I was also proud to see another member there as well ..(Jshelms) glad to see we represented the 6 well . pics will be up soon .
[/b]
Welcome to the 13.70 club!

I think your run makes #3? Anyone?
Me, ATL, and you....

What track?
Did you weigh the car with you?Without?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Congrats on the pass man! That's one hell of a 60' there! What RPM were you launching and shifting at, respectively? I'm anxious to get mine back to the track to see what I can squeak out of her with the CP-E CAI, and BOV installed. I've only been to the track with mine once and the best I could eek out of her was a 14.0, but I believe I may have been shifting a tad too high.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on the pass man! That's one hell of a 60' there! What RPM were you launching and shifting at, respectively? I'm anxious to get mine back to the track to see what I can squeak out of her with the CP-E CAI, and BOV installed. I've only been to the track with mine once and the best I could eek out of her was a 14.0, but I believe I may have been shifting a tad too high.
[/b]
launching at 5k and shifting at about 6k ..The trak I was at was dragway 42 ..didnt wieght the car with me in it but take the weight of the car and add 240 lbs.. and thats what it weighted with me in it.

·
Registered
998 Posts

[/b]
Yes it was nice to see another speed6. I was quite surprised when I pulled up and saw another :D

After you left I got 1 more run in, at least I can say my car's consistent :(
[email protected]

I'm stuck at 14.5 no matter what I do. I did notice on the drive home after pulling the lower airbox the car didn't seem to fall off at 5k like it did previously, it was more like 6k, but it could have been my head playing games.

Congrats on the 13.7, maybe one of these days I'll get my pig to move like that. Something just doesn't seem right, I can't trap higher then 95.8mph.

Oh well guess I'll just wait for next time.

Jason

***EDIT***
I'll try and get the video of our runs up tonite for you.

Jason

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Welcome to the 13.70 club!

I think your run makes #3? Anyone?
Me, ATL, and you....

What track?
Did you weigh the car with you?Without?
[/b]
Hey that's awesome. Where are you guys from? I know a few guys on here are in Dallas. I'm going to Dallas tonight but not to race. Just going with some friends. I need to take mine to the track now that I have the CAI and HKS BOV on there.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Hey that's awesome. Where are you guys from? I know a few guys on here are in Dallas. I'm going to Dallas tonight but not to race. Just going with some friends. I need to take mine to the track now that I have the CAI and HKS BOV on there.
[/b]
Be ready for the crowd of ppl that will come check out your ride. :D

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mfast1 is you Speed a GT or Sport Model? The Sport are a little lighter and seem to trap higher MPH. I know ATL and I raced and he was consistantly in the 97+mph range. His is a Sport Model and mine is a GT. I trap anywhere from 95 to 97mph consistantly.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mfast1 is you Speed a GT or Sport Model? The Sport are a little lighter and seem to trap higher MPH. I know ATL and I raced and he was consistantly in the 97+mph range. His is a Sport Model and mine is a GT. I trap anywhere from 95 to 97mph consistantly.
[/b]
He's a sport, I'm a GT.

We're from North Eastern Ohio.

Jason

·
Registered
194 Posts
I took my Speed to LVMS last night for Midnight Mayhem. This was my first time actually running a car at a drag strip and it was alot harder than I thought it'd be! The track sure hooks different than the street, not to mention all the pressure of the *race*, getting staged correctly, the bright lights and the crowd! I was nervous as heck and I think this effected my driving performance!

I bypassed the burnout box and didn't attempt to clean the tires at all on either run so my Potenza's were probably covered with anything that'd stick to them (and that's pretty much anything). The first guy I raced was in a Saturn ;^P with a CAI (nice guy though) and he ran a 18.913 @73.75, I left him in the dust (although I must admit the shame of redlighting) and thought he broke something. The second guy I raced was in an LS1 Camaro and I think he was probably running slicks and/or mods as he used the burnout box and ran a 13.290 @ 104.69.

I redlighted my first run (I wish I would have gotten a time, it was a much better run than my second). The second run I pooch screwed the launch, bogged and ended up running a rather miserable 15.467 @ 90.70 with a pathetic 2.271 60 ft. By then it was late, the IC was completely heat soaked (it already was after my first!) and I was tired, so I didn't stick around another hour for another run but rather headed home.

On another note, do you guys use any tricks to help cool the car down like using bags of ice on the IC or even a spray bottle filled with ice water? I took the car out (bone stock down to the factory air filter) with the intentions of getting worse case scenario baseline. Just 4-5 gallons of 100 octane unleaded topped with a tank of 91 octane Chevron to bring it up to about 93, the tank was about 3/4+ full of gas on the runs. No tire pressure adjustments, ice, fans, or other artificial cooling, just popped the hood before runs but that's it.

Like I said, the first run (while I overrevved, redlighted, and messed up the launch), I was pulling mid-nineties+ through the traps so I probably ran a low-mid 14's, not too terrible for my virgin drag strip run.

Don't have a scanner but on the second run:

R/T: 1.027 (wasn't worried about this number anyways)
60': 2.271
330: 6.485
1/8: 9.971
MPH: 70.61
1000: 12.971
1/4: 15.467
MPH: 90.70

What do you guys make of my run? What went wrong/right or did I just mess up the whole run. I need more practice at the strip!

P.S. Congrats on your quick runs guys, I was hoping to make a good showing for the Speed6 community which I feel like I failed at! Hopefully as I get a few more runs under my belt I can get my numbers down into the high 13's which I'm positive the car is capable of without my poor driving skills.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I tried the bag of ice on the IC and intake last night, but it didnt help for crap. By the time I got to the line the IC was hot from the car sitting in line.

Youre AWD, dont ever go through the burnout box. The last thing you want is a tire to get wet and have it slip bad at the line when your launching at 5k. Bad things happen when all four wheels spin at the line, trust me. Plus you have street tires, no reason to heat them up, they just get slippery when hot. Only slicks should use the burnout box. (and drag radials)

As far as your runs, what were you shifting at and launching at? 2.2 60' tells me you bogged the launch, try launching harder. Your mph is kinda low, make sure your right foot is firmly planted on the firewall, try keeping your right foot down when shifting, thatll drop you about .4 sec. Other then that, Go back and keep trying, you'll get the hang of the car eventually.

Jason

·
Registered
776 Posts
six squared you just need praticing. The Speed6 is "finicky" at the dragstrip. You have to hit your launch and make your shifts SMOOTH and FAST. This car seems to like finess over brutal slamming gears (like the good ole Mustang :D )

15.4 is pretty bad (sorry, please do not flame me :angry: ) I ran a 14.5 my 1st time out missing 3rd gear. The MPH is way down so that is telling me you are not Power shifting or Speed shifting. Keep practicing and you will get there :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
It definitely takes practice. I've made many a pass in my previous vehicles, but my first(and only thus far)trip to the track in the MS6 was trying to say the least. I had never missed 3rd gear prior to that day, but I'll be damned if I didn't miss it, on my my first TWO passes. I was so fricking pissed off :swearin: . Add to that the difficulty in getting the car out of the hole with this phinicky ass clutch, the nerves of staging the car, getting the launch RPM just right, and knowing that EVERY millisecond counts between shifts, taking into account the crowd, and it is definitely a challenge and a little unnerving.

By the end of the day, I was able to calm down, and got some decent full passes in(14.02 being the best). I was a tad disappointed, as I was really hoping for a 13 second slip, but took solace in the fact I was hot-lapping the car(time restraints). Next time, I plan on being a little more methodical, and now I know better how the car behaves(shift rpm etc...), so with the recent addition of the CAI, and BOV, I'm hoping to represent a little better the next time out..

My biggest concern is hurting the front diff upon a 4000+rpm launch(as that's what it seems to take to get these 3600lb pigs out of the hole en route to a 13 second pass), but I haven't heard of anyone exploding theirs as of yet, so I'm hopeful it won't be an issue. That'd be a fun one to explain to the wife.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The trannie in the Speed 6 is rock solid (well at our power level's) I went back into 1st trying to speed shift 3rd at the dragstrip and shut the Frigging car off (well the engine shut off anyway) because it nosed over so bad pegging the 7,000 redline I thought the Trannie was toast once the RPM's came back down from the Stratosphere the engine started back up on it's own and went along it's merry way. I was VERY, VERY, VERY lucky it did not exploid the Trannie. That 3rd gear shift is a Bitch (nothing a more positive short throw shifter can fix :D , someone please make!!!)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The trannie in the Speed 6 is rock solid (well at our power level's) I went back into 1st trying to speed shift 3rd at the dragstrip and shut the Frigging car off (well the engine shut off anyway) because it nosed over so bad pegging the 7,000 redline I thought the Trannie was toast once the RPM's came back down from the Stratosphere the engine started back up on it's own and went along it's merry way. I was VERY, VERY, VERY lucky it did not exploid the Trannie. That 3rd gear shift is a Bitch (nothing a more positive short throw shifter can fix :D , someone please make!!!)
[/b]
Im with ya on that, third gear is a bitch..a sts would be a world of help..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
allenman85
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing