Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually go through the touchless drive though down the street, but I have to park under this God forsaken tree that manages to spew sap on my car all year long, despite being in New England!!

So, the sap comes off with Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar Off, which works great, but hitting 20+ spots all over the place is a pita, not to mention that it sucks doing in 30 degree temps. I don't drive every day, so the sap will get stuck on pretty good quick.

At any rate, I went to the 'self car wash' further down the road, thinking the higher pressure hand held washers would do the trick. They did, but I'm wondering if it's bad for my paint? Normally, I would think it's fine, but I literally have to hold the sprayer like 1/2 to 1 inch from my paint to blast this shit off. It works like a charm, and gets 90-100% of this crap off. That just leaves me with a handful of spots to hit with the Bug n Tar Off, which is great, and saves me a TON of time. However, I'm a little worried about blasting my paint with well over 1,000 PSI (or whatever it is), less than an inch away. Seriously though, holding the sprayer 6" to 1' away (like a normal human) may get the dirt off, but the sap just says :thefing:

Any advice? I rent this spot (my gf parks in my spot, which is easier to pull into), but I'm trying to find another one to rent that's not under one of Hitler's trees. In the meantime, and blast off is an easy way out, but I don't want to screw up my paint.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't now the power that the pressure washers use, but I know that it can damage your paint if you have the wrong setup going. I would think that those DIY car washes are fairly safe. I haven't heard any horror stories about them (not to say they aren't out there) My biggest suggestion would be to either get a car cover? Then put it on when you know you won't be driving for a period of time OR get good with using a clay bar and wash/wax by hand. Only problem with that is as you say it happens frequently so it will get really old going over your car with clay bar all the time. If you do decide that's the route to take, I would get a very gentle clay if your doing it alot you don't want anything very abrasive so it's not damaging your paint.

Sounds like the best option might be a car cover.... Or a different parking spot ;)

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
I've used the self-spray car washes for years, and it's never done a single bit of damage to any cars paint. As long as you take good care of the finish during the warmer months, it should have no problem against the pressure washer.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The psi of a coin op car wash doesn't really concern me.

What concerns me is that they recycle some of the water for the soap cycles.

You don't know what was just in there. Some idiot with an F-250 might have dumped 15 quarts of 20,000 mile Delo engine oil that's blacker than Satan's soul down the grate. Someone else might have sprayed down their D15B7 valve cover with Aircraft stripper and used the car wash to spray it off so they can apply wrinkle red paint for their "Type R" look.

I'm fairly certain the rinse cycles are fine. But the car wash owners get testy if you bring a bucket, soap, and wash mitts. Even if no one is waiting and other stalls are open.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Too much trouble, move your spot or poison that tree.

Oh, and plant another so you stay green.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the best option might be a car cover.... Or a different parking spot ;)
I finally got a (cheaper) cover cover over a week ago, but I haven't used it yet :/ It's been raining a lot, and it didn't seem worth it to deal with taking off a sopping wet car cover and jamming it in the trunk. Plus, the sap doesn't collect in rain really anyways.

I've used the self-spray car washes for years, and it's never done a single bit of damage to any cars paint. As long as you take good care of the finish during the warmer months, it should have no problem against the pressure washer.
Cool, this was my biggest concern.

What concerns me is that they recycle some of the water for the soap cycles.
huh, I never knew that.

Too much trouble, move your spot or poison that tree. Oh, and plant another so you stay green.
LOL. Funny you say that... I talk about poising that tree, but with my luck it would die too fast and collapse onto my car! lol
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hey thanks guys for all your help, I appreciate it! I think I'm gonna post a "WT.. Rent" a different spot. Plus, when those damn birds come back, they shit all over my car, and what's worse, they seem to manage to hit my drivers side window a lot. I guess I should be glad acorns aren't falling on her making dings and scratches!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts