Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a Sony NAV-U 70, that system fits really nice in the map compartment.
But the sony is not a very good system, and I am thinking about purchasing a Tomtom 910.
But, does it fit in the mapcompartment?

Did anybody try it yet?

<<edit; please see my next post in this thread>>

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a TomTom Go 700, and fits perfectly in the map compartment. I fixed the base there, to provide power and handsfree micro. Here you are:

·
Registered
805 Posts
with the tomtom unit, is there an interface that allows you to play videos or something? I am asking because in your picture it shows a shot of a mazda6 and I don't think that image comes with the tomtom (assuming).

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've got a lowrance iway350c that allows for inputting pics, mp3s, etc, even has an FM modulator. it does have faults though, you must use full street names. kind of a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, well I bought one.
This unit is made for the Mazda6! Or is de Mazda6 made for the unit...

I allready had 12V cigarette lighter connection in the map compartment.
The suction cup is compact enough to fit. It only would not attach to the bottom of the compartment firmly.
I solved that by glueing (double sided adhesive tape did the trick) a smooth aluminum plate to the bottom of the compartment. And I glued a piece of foam rubber under the unit, so it does not fibrate to much if you have a bumby ride.
If I park the car, I simply disconnect the unit from the suction cup (all cables stay fixed to the suction cup), lay it down beside the suction cup, and close the lid. Nothing is visible.

Highly recommended! And the unit itselfe is great; 20 gig storage, mp3 and foto player (no video) and detailed maps of europe AND the USA AND Canada. The screen is bigger than the usual pda screens.
The sound is very good also. And thanks to the SIRF III gps sensor, the reception is also very very good and fast.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just bought the 510 and I was wondering how to mount it in the map compartment, that looks great. I've just been setting it in their for now, I need to fab something like that up for mine. So far I love it, it already got me out of a jam yesterday going to meetings. Just wish I had a BT cell phone for the Plus services. How hard was it to run the power cable into the map compartment? Did you have to take apart the dash to get it in there?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
all you need to do for the power in the map compartment is to get a cig lighter splitter for $4 at the auto store, cut off the male end, add a length of wire, with a 10amp fuse at the far end. tap into power either at the factory cig lighter for 12V ACC or at the ignition harness for 12V constant. attach the ground to the vehicle chassis ground.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ok, well I bought one.
This unit is made for the Mazda6! Or is de Mazda6 made for the unit...

I allready had 12V cigarette lighter connection in the map compartment.
The suction cup is compact enough to fit. It only would not attach to the bottom of the compartment firmly.
I solved that by glueing (double sided adhesive tape did the trick) a smooth aluminum plate to the bottom of the compartment. And I glued a piece of foam rubber under the unit, so it does not fibrate to much if you have a bumby ride.
If I park the car, I simply disconnect the unit from the suction cup (all cables stay fixed to the suction cup), lay it down beside the suction cup, and close the lid. Nothing is visible.

Highly recommended! And the unit itselfe is great; 20 gig storage, mp3 and foto player (no video) and detailed maps of europe AND the USA AND Canada. The screen is bigger than the usual pda screens.
The sound is very good also. And thanks to the SIRF III gps sensor, the reception is also very very good and fast.

[/b]
Thanks for the inspiration ladru, I just made something like this for mine today and its working out pretty well. Only problem I'm having is that the placement is just a little off, I need to move it to the right just a bit and all should be well. It's a little tricky to get the windshield mount in the right place so you can close the lid completely but the adjustment will be easy. I haven't run a power cable yet, I'd like to run just the power cord up and put all the wiring up in the dash out of the way, but that's going to take a little thought on how to accomplish that. Again, thanks for the heads up on this! (don't have any pics yet, raining like heck and it's dark out...).

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration ladru, I just made something like this for mine today and its working out pretty well. Only problem I'm having is that the placement is just a little off, I need to move it to the right just a bit and all should be well. It's a little tricky to get the windshield mount in the right place so you can close the lid completely but the adjustment will be easy. I haven't run a power cable yet, I'd like to run just the power cord up and put all the wiring up in the dash out of the way, but that's going to take a little thought on how to accomplish that. Again, thanks for the heads up on this! (don't have any pics yet, raining like heck and it's dark out...).
[/b]
Please do not quote messages with a lot of pictures, or if you do, remove the pictures from the quote

·
Registered
53 Posts
with the tomtom unit, is there an interface that allows you to play videos or something? I am asking because in your picture it shows a shot of a mazda6 and I don't think that image comes with the tomtom (assuming). [/b]
There is an aftermarket interface that allows to play mp3, but you can use the navigator simultaneously.
The image you see on the TomTom is the splash screen that you can see when unit is starting. You can change it, because is a .bmp file, as you computer has.

Anyway to make one of these fit and still be able to close the lid? [/b]
You can close the lid if you remove the TomTom from the base dock. You must lay it besides the base dock. Then, you will can to close the lid without problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drilled a hole in the right rear end of the map compartment (near the little red cable in the picture), pushed a cable through it, removed the glove compartment and grabbed the cable. I connected the cable to the wireing of the cigarette lighter. You can reach the cigarette lighter if you first remove the cupholder, than the plastic cover off the gear shift. Once you know how to, it is 10 minutes work.
You can find how to remove the cupholder and glove compartment somewhere else in this forum.

Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
ladru
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing