Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 2003 6s (V6 auto)

Its a real improvement over the stock dampers and 'rubber' rear 18mm swaybar. The body roll is significantly less and the dampers give a more more controlled feel than stock. The ride is stiffer but still just fine, my wife is happy with this setup also. The stock springs and ride height are a good compromise if you still want a reasonable ride and no bottoming. The dampers settled down after a couple of weeks, were a bit too stiff until then.
Good bang for buck. This is not an auto-cross or road racer, but a good compromise, especially for the $.

4 dampers $270 shipped NOPI
Progress tech sway $140 shipped Never enough
labor: about $250

I will put on the whieline front swaybar (maybe GT spec braces) and probably call it done.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2006 6s and also feel that the stock dampers do not control the springs very well.

My modding plans are similar to yours, better shocks, a Progress rear bar and possibly Racing Beat springs to avoid giving up too much suspension travel.

Did the Progress Bar eliminate understeer or still have a slight understeering bias? I am usually the only one who drives the car, but on occasion, my wife will use it and I may not want her to drive it when it snows if the car is balanced from neutral to oversteer. I am also considering the Whiteline bar which is why I am looking for a point of reference.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
On 2003 6s (V6 auto)

...This is not an auto-cross or road racer, but a good compromise, especially for the $.

...I will put on the whiteline front swaybar (maybe GT spec braces) and probably call it done.

stock fr bar 23mm, WL fr bar at 24, better bang for buck would be cusco 25 mm up front, given cost of front bar R&R. Less roll, and still less understeer with progress 24 rear.

[/b]

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Didn't know Tokico had a Mazda6 application...

Could you possibly PM me a link/part numbers?

Thanks in advance. And yes, I would love some pics as well :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I see on Nopi.com that they label the fronts as struts and the rears and shocks....is that accurate?

Which is a better company, Koni or Tokico? I'm still looking for the Moteg dampers...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
But from what I'm seeing the Tokicos are much less expensive. So since they are non-adjustable, what is the dampening set at from the factory?

Where is the best price for Konis?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Koni kinda of control's their own price...so at best you'll see "maybe" a 5 dollar variance.

Best bet for koni deals is ebay, or previous owners. Otherwise buy from site sponsors like http://www.therpmstore.com

The tokico shock prices are in line with the KYB prices. I'd assume they'd be similar replacements. Stretch swore his KYB's were stiffer then stock, but then of course they were new shocks. Everything is stiff when it's new!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Tokico is a major shock manufacturer and can make great stuff, but you get what you pay for. These are Tokico's low-end shocks. A lot of people like Tokico products, but remember the ones that came with the D2 coilover kits were obviously low-end and an utter joke. I'm glad to hear these are better than stock.

These may be a step between the KYB GR-2's and Koni's, but the Koni's are going to be far, far better. It's hard to beat the value when Koni sells just an easy-to-manufacture insert and has you do all the work yourself.

Maybe someone will run Tokico's up front and Koni's in the rear- if Tokico will sell just two at a time, anyway. No cutting would be required for this setup and you'd get adjustability at what I believe to be the more essentially damped side of the car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
any picture on the tokico shocks?
The tokico shock prices are in line with the KYB prices. I'd assume they'd be similar replacements. Stretch swore his KYB's were stiffer then stock, but then of course they were new shocks. Everything is stiff when it's new![/b]
aren't the kybs r the stock shocks?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm running the Tokico Blues with Eibachs for about 6-8months now. I did notice a difference when switching to the Tokico's. So far, shocks work great. I agree that I wouldn't call these top of the line, but a great factory replacement shock. Although, I wouldn't call it a high performance, maybe just a daily driver shock.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
We will soon have some in stock for anyone interested. Maybe a Group Buy? I myself prefer Koni as well since they are adjustable, but for stock height and slightly upgraded handling, Tokicos are better than KYB (OEM).

We gaurantee lowest price on most products, including Konis. I was aboutt o get myself a set, but decided to wait to install my S Techs (currently have H Techs on) to see the difference. Or if I choose to keep/sell the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2006 6s and also feel that the stock dampers do not control the springs very well.

My modding plans are similar to yours, better shocks, a Progress rear bar and possibly Racing Beat springs to avoid giving up too much suspension travel.

Did the Progress Bar eliminate understeer or still have a slight understeering bias? I am usually the only one who drives the car, but on occasion, my wife will use it and I may not want her to drive it when it snows if the car is balanced from neutral to oversteer. I am also considering the Whiteline bar which is why I am looking for a point of reference.
[/b]
I can't really tell if there is more under or oversteer, I haven't pushed it that hard but the chassis roll is much reduced, we had almost 40kmi on it and I think the shocks were worse than new. I would have gone for the RB springs but the wife said no. I will go with the Cusco front bar instead as its stiffer than the whiteline (thanks Kevin).

Hope that helps

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you think you could post up a picture or two of what the swaybar looks like attached? I have yet to find one and I am very interested to see what it looks like. I also wouldn't mind just seeing what it will look like properly installed so I have a reference.

Thanks.
[/b]
I looked under there and there is not much to see, most of the bar (dark grey color) is covered by hardware and the shocks (medium blue color) are hard to see also. They are all direct replacement parts, but the bar is much beefier (and was alot heavier also).

Tokico is the oem supplier for the 6 and their HP is just the stock one with 20% more damping and the full suspension travel, something like 4-5". Ideally I'd like only 10% more compression damping and maybe 30-40% more rebound for even better control (the Auto EXE sounds about right but they are $800) . I wanted the adjustable Illuminas but Tokico doesn't make them for the 6. I had bad experiences with KYB on motorcycle stuff but if they made the AGX adjustable shock for the 6 I would have gone that route.
I seriously thought about the Koni's but they cost more that 2X and much including the added cost of cutting the front dampers apart. Not sure if they have the full suspension stroke or not.

Any way, I'm reasonably satisfied (so is the wife), will put he Cusco front bar on as its stiffer than the whiteline.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would go with the Koni's! I have had them on the Beemer for around 70K and they are still working good. They are great to have if you are going to the track from time to time. They are pleasently firm on their soft setting and like a ROCK on their firm settings. You get what you pay for. Pierce

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
+1 mbrogz3000.

Koni's + mazdaspeed hatch springs, + RB sways with aftermarket endlinks, + 16x8's with RT615 falken's = enough cornering g's to make all your passengers reach for the oh shit handle everytime they see a corner approaching.

What's really funny is when act like you're going to turn, but then continue to go straight, everyone raises their hand, lol.

·
Registered
884 Posts
+1 mbrogz3000.

Koni's + mazdaspeed hatch springs, + RB sways with aftermarket endlinks, + 16x8's with RT615 falken's = enough cornering g's to make all your passengers reach for the oh shit handle everytime they see a corner approaching.

What's really funny is when act like you're going to turn, but then continue to go straight, everyone raises their hand, lol.
[/b]
Where can we get aftermarket endlinks? I still have a small thump from the rear over some larger bumps...my endlinks might not be strong enough...right now I have Tanabe NF springs, front and rear RB sway bars, and 18" Konigs on 225/40-18 Yokos.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I probably should have got Mazdaspeed springs instead of the Racing Beat for the higher spring rate, but our roads here are crap...But I'm still completely happy with the RB/Koni + RB Sways combo.

Just keep in mind that with the Konis...the adjustability is more like a sweet spot setting for the springs you have....its not intended for you to adjust on a day-to-day basis. They are marketed like you will be constantly adjusting them though. Once you find the sweet spot, its set it and forget it. You don't need to adjust anymore.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
17 Participants
Greaseball_32
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing