Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To Tanabe, or Not to Tanabe - that's the question

I've put my 20" Niche Targas back on after a loooooooong winter here in NJ, and after staring at the car for a day, I'm debating about whether or not to slap on some of the Tanabe springs to drop her an inch.

I've got a +35 offset and my tires are 245/40/20. As I looked at it just a few minutes ago, I just have a hair under 2 inches of gap right now.

Is that enough gap to play with where I wouldn't rub on a daily basis you think? I rolled the fenders already but still am worried I'd be opening Pandora's box. If I were running 245/35/20 rubber, no question I would have done it already, but that extra profile may be the issue.

Yes? No? Let it be?

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Why do those look so much bigger than 20's? Haha.

These cars always look nicer lowered, and those tanabes offer a perfect drop - whether or not it's worth the risk of rubbing is up to you. I don't think you'd rub unless you had a full car and hit a bump but then again I haven't seen any discussions on lowering and 20's on this car yet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do those look so much bigger than 20's? Haha.

These cars always look nicer lowered, and those tanabes offer a perfect drop - whether or not it's worth the risk of rubbing is up to you. I don't think you'd rub unless you had a full car and hit a bump but then again I haven't seen any discussions on lowering and 20's on this car yet.
They do look big, right? yea, I dont usually have people in the car, other than my wife (say 150 max) and two kids in the back 50 lbs each. I think it would look dope, but for $300 installed, is it WORTH it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like how you got it, I love your 4x4. :)

But, I think your going to rub ever so slightly like when going over bumps and possibly when making a turn especially if you have people in the back. Just know the possibility is that you might rub and should be the decision on whether you want to hear your baby rub or not.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like how you got it, I love your 4x4. :)

But, I think your going to rub ever so slightly like when going over bumps and possibly when making a turn especially if you have people in the back. Just know the possibility is that you might rub and should be the decision on whether you want to hear your baby rub or not.
ugh ... my thinking too. That rare occasion where I do have people in the back, she'd rub. Buttttt ... I usually drive solo.

Decisions, decisions, decisions

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I'm all out (like your real nice ride)..Tanabe is a go.
Thanks...
whaddya mean by "If you're all out? "

I may just bite the bullet and do it ... if it rubs, I will swap back to stock and sell the springs ... will sleep on it tonight

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am on corksports which i believe is the lowest spring drop offered, the car rides the same on smooth roads and dare I say sporty in the twisties. I think you will love the handling and stance that lowering will provide. Carpe diem "seize the day" you think your ride looks killer now, drop it down an inch and fall in love all over again. If you install and find it rubs too much for your liking swap them back to stock there are many here that will take the springs off of your hands, consider it a grand experiment
but IMO you will love how it all turns out. Good luck with your decision and can't wait for the installed pics!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Definitely lower it, but I would not go with Corksport because I believe it will definitely rub, at least in hard cornering. I've been running on Corksport springs for a couple of months now and love them, but I am using the stock 17" rims and tires. I'm not sure which are lower - H&R or Tanabe, but IMHO, I would stick with the minimum and not go too low. I like the look already and believe it only needs a minor tweak.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definitely lower it, but I would not go with Corksport because I believe it will definitely rub, at least in hard cornering. I've been running on Corksport springs for a couple of months now and love them, but I am using the stock 17" rims and tires. I'm not sure which are lower - H&R or Tanabe, but IMHO, I would stick with the minimum and not go too low. I like the look already and believe it only needs a minor tweak.
So far, the Tanabes have the least drop -- they say an inch (front and back) on their website. The H&Rs are 1.5 inches I think.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GWAH! For $300 installed I want to do it.......

Not sure if compliment...... :mellow:

:lol:

HA! I will take any compliments I can get --- I mean it's a subtle 4x4! Not like it has a lift kit (although that 2 inches makes it seem so)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If you are going to rub it's because your overall diameter is too big, not because your tires are too wide, since you have already rolled your fenders. And if that is going to happen it would only happen when you basically bottom out (i.e. top of the tire hits the wheel well, which is the same point regardless of which springs you use stock, H&R, corksport Tanabe...

If you aren't sure I would run one rear wheel up on the curb on the side of your driveway to see what the clearance is like when it is really compressed.

If you are on the fence saving things for later to keep your car fresh in your opinion isn't so bad. Why not wait until you feel you got your money's worth from the current tires, then replace them with tires of the same overall diameter as stock and then do the drop?

I'm waiting on wheels until my tires wear out so I can go to a wider wheel than 8.5" DIA without spending more money replacing perfectly good tires. At 5k per year with constant heat cycling, my tires may never wear out, but hey what can I do about it?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I think it would look dope, but for $300 installed, is it WORTH it.
Wait, I missed this part...

$300 installed?! Damn, that is enticing.

Kyle, is the install for this price....by a Tanabe authorized specialty shop?

Thanks a lot in advance for your confirm.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wait, I missed this part...

$300 installed?! Damn, that is enticing.

Kyle, is the install for this price....by a Tanabe authorized specialty shop?

Thanks a lot in advance for your confirm.
No, this is just me 'guesstimating'. Springs shipped to me are $200 (from Redline360) and I'm guessing (hoping) that my local shop would only charge me $100 ($150 max) for the install.

Reactions: ExB5
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.