Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I realize it's been a long time since I've posted here. The job transfer I took 2yrs ago has kept me going full steam and I really haven't done too much to the 6 except get the California black legacy plates for it. Which look great. However, now I find myself in a quandary. Two recent events have me contemplating selling the ol' 6 and moving on.

First, the news that the 6 is being discontinued in 2022. While I really hope that it's a 1yr absence and that they'll bring out the Gen 4 model sooner, I'm not holding my bets. Truth is, the sedan body style is quickly falling out of grace as people continue to embrace SUVs and CUVs. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I have a bad feeling 2021 will be the final year for the beloved 6.

Second, due to the semiconductor shortage, used car values have skyrocketed. Coupled with the aforementioned slow death of the sedan, right now I will get the best value for my car that I ever could if I sell or trade it in. I'm actually blue booking at $18,700 on trade with my mileage, which is pretty good for a 3yr old model. This is considering that 6mos ago I only blue booked $16,300 on trade. Waiting too long will mean the market will eventually normalize and I'll take a shellacking on value when I am ready to turn it in.

So these are my options that I am weighing:

1) Mazda CX-30: Yes, it's a CUV but it's lower to the ground. I realize it's also smaller. However, I think I can slide into a Premium model and get all the good stuff (without the turbo which I do NOT want) and pay considerably less on my monthly payment than I do now.
2) Toyota Mirai FCEV: I've always told myself that if a fuel cell vehicle became feasible that I would jump on it. The 2nd gen Mirai is actually quite a looker IMO and the incentives are strong ($15K in free fuel credits? I'm in!). As a bonus, a hydrogen refueling station is 1 exit down from me on my way to work. Only bad part is... once I leave the Bay Area there is no refueling. So I would be subject to renting a car whenever I want to take a long term trip.
3) Buick Regal X-Tour: At this point, I'd be looking at used but I've always wanted a sportback type model. Found a couple of low mileage examples in the area. Only concern is the turbo.
4) Take my chances: I could also just tell myself I'm overthinking things and keep the 6 in hopes that the Gen 4 does show up next year. It'll probably mean I'll lose some residual value by the.

What do you guys think? I have an appointment to test drive a CX-30 on Saturday.

·
Registered
2005 6S wagon 5MT
68 Posts
I agree with you on the likelihood of a 4th gen 6 coming to the US. It just makes no sense for a smaller company like Mazda to introduce a new sedan into the US market these days. If Ford has lost the ability to push Fusions and Tauruses, then what hope does Mazda have with the 6?

I say, if you are getting the itch to sell the 6, now's the time to go for it. Between the chip shortage and COVID weirdness it's a great time to move out of something that would be a desirable used car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I think If you would consider the CX30 you should at least try the turbo. I expect it's quite nice...

Related, I think particularly here in Canada, in a big city, we're at a crossroads as to how many more ice vehicles one might consider buying. Me, I would buy a cheap battery electric, perhaps a used one, but would keep my 6mt 3rd gen 6 as my traveling vehicle (and my first love).

·
Registered
2005 6S wagon 5MT
68 Posts
I think If you would consider the CX30 you should at least try the turbo. I expect it's quite nice...
I love everything about the CX-30 except that Whoville nose the rear end has. It's a shame they haven't grafted the CX-3's rear onto it. I bet it's a good time with the 2.5t though.

·
Registered
17 Mazda6 Touring manual
193 Posts
I disagree with selling just because the value of your car is marginally higher than it was last year. It is a tight market all around. Used car values are up. So are new car prices, with less negotiating power in general. The 1 year depreciation on a new car will be more than any incremental value you may get on your used car.

The Mirai fueling situation sounds like a huge handicap.

·
Registered
17 Mazda6 Touring manual
193 Posts
The Mirai fueling situation???? What is that?
The Mirai uses hydrogen as fuel. Depending on where you want to drive, there might not be many hydrogen refueling stations around. OP says his refueling options are non-existent outside of his metro area.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The Mirai uses hydrogen as fuel. Depending on where you want to drive, there might not be many hydrogen refueling stations around. OP says his refueling options are non-existent outside of his metro area.
Oh, i missed that, not only are they scarce, but after the $15k in credits, its like $80/lb and takes 6lbs to fill up.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not only that, but half the stations in my area are either out of fuel or under maintenance for 8-12wks.

I made up my mind this morning and picked up a 2021 Mazda CX-30 Carbon Edition. So far, I like it and I'm looking forward to the versatility of the rear cargo area. That said, I will miss the 6. It was a great looking car (especially with those TSW rims) but with the material I sometimes have to haul for emergency customer orders, it was almost impossible to use the trunk. I ended up getting $17K for the 6 with just under 40K miles on it. They gave me a line about "it needs brakes at 40K and we have to replace the rims". I bet I'll go out to their lot in 2wks and see it sitting there as a CPO with the same rims. No matter. I made them work to get me a decent APR and they got me 2.20%. Incidentally, that financing is through Toyota.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congrats, looks like you change cars every 3 years, 2015->2018->2021
Let us know how you like it after a month.

·
Registered
17 Mazda6 Touring manual
193 Posts
Oh, i missed that, not only are they scarce, but after the $15k in credits, its like $80/lb and takes 6lbs to fill up.
Yikes, that’s expensive. Thankfully when you lease a Mirai, Toyota pays for fuel up to 3 years or $15,000. Buying or financing gives you another 3 years to use the $15k in fuel.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats, looks like you change cars every 3 years, 2015->2018->2021
Let us know how you like it after a month.
Yeah, I inherited that from my grandpa. He did the same thing for years. Like we get bored or something. This is my 5th new car since 2006 so you're right. I'll get some pics later today. Was hoping to take some pics on the coast but it was too misty and overcast. I'll find some place along the estuary here instead.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a lower stance with a squatter cab, but very similar. Also, the turn indicators are in the bumper slits to either side of the lower air dam, not built into the headlight cluster.

·
Registered
17 Mazda6 Touring manual
193 Posts
It looks like a CX-5! The infotainment looks different or is it because of the shadow?

I wonder why but I have to open the browser to see the pictures. Tapatalk displays a blank page only.
The interior of the CX-30 has a very different feel from the CX-5. It looks and feels noticeably better all around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
They gave me a line about "it needs brakes at 40K and we have to replace the rims".
I've never replaced OEM brakes on a Mazda before 90k miles and then only as a precaution. The only way they're swapping the wheels on your trade-in is if the used car sales manager wants to put them on his own car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts