Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going with the Apexcone 6000k HID kit due to its less bright output compaired to the xtec. any thoughts? I just dont want to get hassled by the cops but still want the better vision. also do you really need to break that "up-reflector" in the housing? im worried that if I do I wont be able to see the overhead signs on a dark freeway, which would kind of defeat some of the purpose of getting HID. Your comments are appreciated, I have done a lot of searching and cant come up with anything on this topic. thanks :huh:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
there's ton of stuff on this topic...it's just randomly dispersed. ;)

the cops shouldn't hassle you for HIDs. it is an OEM provided light on a lot of vehicles. it is 100% safe and legal. that being said, you sholdn't have to settle for the lesser of the two.

·
Registered
742 Posts
When I got my 5k Xtec installed I was really glad I didn't go with 6k. 5K is pretty blue to begin with, but still white enough to actually make a difference.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but what cbout the "up reflector" any body think it NEEDS to be removed? I have a hard time justifying its removal. Breaking a peice on a $400 housing seems risky if you cant see the over-head signs after. how many of you have HID w/o doing the up-reflector mod"? I was debating the 5000k and 6000k the 6000k has a little less output so I thought that might help with the glare. opinions? experences?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
if you buy the HID projector there is no up-reflector. this is just with the halogen projectors, as they don't tend to put out as much light. with the HIDs, you will get more light output making the signs light up more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
not to hijack the topic, but i just got an 2006 6 s sport. my question is, the projectors are throwing me off, is it just a halogen projector, or is it HID and the xtec kit is just an upgrade?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
the non-speed 6's come with halogen bulbs and projectors. the speed 6's have HID kit and projetors.

some people upgrade to HID and leave the halogen projectors. a retro will replace the projector and bulbs with HID equipment. i am doing an Xtec HID upgrade with HID projectors.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so (polo) your saying that the signs still light up w/o the "up-reflector"? have you dont or seen this mod in action? and what HID retro fits both right and left light. I remember reading about one that lines up perfectly with our housings but I cant find it now. I am really just trying to get better output w/o cops f*cking with me or blinding other cars for the least possable price/time/effort

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
they will still light up, just not as much as they would with the reflector piece. just remember, if you use the projectors that comes with the car, you aren't going to get the best light output available.

here's a good picture of HID projectors. notice how they are not 'milky' like our stock halogens. when you put HID in the milky projectors, you are losing some light output.

·
Registered
83 Posts
thanks for the information polo, it really clears a lot of stuff up

So say i either buy this kit http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...&products_id=37 or this one http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...&products_id=56

so what your saying is these come with the HID projector and fit exactly where the halogen one was? The reason im asking this is, im sorta a no nonsense type of guy. If im gonna drop 350 or 400 on a HID kit, i want everything to work out pretty smoothly. I don't wanna make modifications myself, because frankly, i couldn't :p. I really appreciate the information though, oh btw the stock halogens are pretty damn bright, but you gotta love the tint of the HID. What would be a good color choice, my mom has a Lexus GX470 with bi xenons and ive always thought they were a little too white, i love BMW's color, what is that around, 5000K? Anyways thanks for the information

Alex

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i honestly am not too sure of what most OEM temperature scale is, but if i were to guess i would say no less than 5000K and no more than 6000K.

the HID kit sold by RPM does NOT include the HID projectors. you have to buy that somewhere else. i bought mine from HIDplanet.com and just the 35W kit from RPM. it's called a retro if you get the HID projectors. i bought the kit from RPM because they are awesome and i like the lifetime warranty...i mean, how could you lose? Donny is a great guy with excellent customer service.

my complete HID kit (retro, Xtec) ran me about $450. if you go with a retro from HIDplanet.com, it would cost you $400 or less shipped, yet there is not warranty like Xtec.

i went with the 6000K because i want it to be blue. i want people to say 'damn, that car has HID!' and they will, especially with the HID projectors.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think the OEM HIDs are 4300K. I went with the 35-watt 6000K XTEC's... I'm glad I made this choice. It's not really blue.. more like a purply-blue-white colour.. very noticeable and only a couple hundred lumens less bright than the 5K.. I believe it's 2800 vs 3000... which IMO is negligible. I removed the reflector and have no problems seeing any signs... in fact, I probably light up the signs for the car in front of me too!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks thats two for the HID WITH "up-reflector" delete any more "bright " ideas? any on apexcone?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got my 35watt xtec 5000 kit. I am going to install it tomarrow with the delate mod. If it doesn't look good i will just retro it later!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
let me know how it turns out, I might be soon to follow. im thinking 6k.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what projector fits our housing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
10 Participants
KwRio142
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing