Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was putting in the 3.7L TB and changed a few other parts in the process since I had more clearance.

There seems to be. purge valve or some type of solenoid on my year (04) mazda 6 that was originally attached to the TB while other mazda 6 owners (from the look of pictures online) don't seem to have this part.

I cannot put it back onto the TB because it physically won't go back on with the new larger throttle body.

Where did you guys end up mounting the part??? For the moment I just have it tucked away under the body but I don't like it there. Its not mentioned in any documentation about the 3.7L mod. 馃

Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh
I have never seen that little bracket. All the ones I have seen, mine included, attach to the intake accordion tube.
View attachment 243080 View attachment 243081

Now that I have a CAI I have it zip tied to a local neighbor.
Ahhh yes I forgot it came with my k&n CAI.
Before I read this post I just zip tied it to the intake itself.

I don鈥檛 like zip tying things but if it鈥檚 something I must do, I鈥檒l use two zip ties 馃槈. Thank you Dr, you always are quick to reply and offer valuable info.

Reactions: DrFeelGood

Registered
2005 6S wagon 5MT
Did you get the swap finished? Notice any improvements? I didn't notice much of a difference but I was also dealing with a flaky MAF so that could have muddied the waters a little.

I don鈥檛 like zip tying things but if it鈥檚 something I must do, I鈥檒l use two zip ties 馃槈. Thank you Dr, you always are quick to reply and offer valuable info.
I probably rely on them too much. They're practically structural on my CRX at this point, lol.

Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get the swap finished? Notice any improvements? I didn't notice much of a difference but I was also dealing with a flaky MAF so that could have muddied the waters a little.

I probably rely on them too much. They're practically structural on my CRX at this point, lol.
Honestly, any performance gains I really don鈥檛 recognize at the moment maybe a bit sluggish on the lower rpm but around 3k rpm I feel it pulling more but I need to let the car get through a drive cycle before I draw any final conclusion. I did notice the sound is more aggressive when sucking in air and on a cold start the idle is higher (around 2k) until it goes down to the regular idle rpm.
I need to stretch my cold air intake tube to fit around the throttle body, it鈥檚 hard rubber and doesn鈥檛 really stretch so I put a specter adapter from autozone in the CAI to have it fit on the TB. Not my favorite fix but it鈥檚 good until I could find a solution.

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I noticed this too on my stock airbox, there's even a little whistle on initial throttle tip-in. Kinda fun!
Side question for you, I noticed my hood won鈥檛 latch shut unless I drop it and then the opening lever inside the car is real stiff. Only thing I could think of is the TB being so high it presses up on the insulation of the hood making it become hard to open. Did you have this same issue how did you fix it? I really don鈥檛 want to break my plastic hood release

Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
Side question for you, I noticed my hood won鈥檛 latch shut unless I drop it and then the opening lever inside the car is real stiff. Only thing I could think of is the TB being so high it presses up on the insulation of the hood making it become hard to open. Did you have this same issue how did you fix it? I really don鈥檛 want to break my plastic hood release
This would be a little worrisome as the motor twists with use. You could put your cell phone inside the motor and record it closing from the inside to see if there is contact, (provided you cant see the impression on the insulation that is).

Registered
2005 6S wagon 5MT
Yep, had the same issue. I cut out the hood insulation in the area over the TB and taped the harness down to be sure it wouldn't rub. Not elegant, but it seems to clear the hood now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts