Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
6 Posts
If you like the stinger but not the look, check out the Genesis G70. Same powertrains but it’s a lot sexier. Check out the article in motor trend, each company was given the same components but they made very different driving cars.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sooooooo ... I drove some cars over the past few weeks.

Giulia - Still love this car. Hands down one of the best handling cars in the class. Snug interior but good quality. Pano roof is cool. Concerned about reliability – even though it’s a lease, I don’t want to be back and forth to the dealer.

Mazda 3 – It’s an awesome car. Definitely more snug than the 6. I like the 6’s interior and overall feel better – the stickier Conti’s on my 6 really up the handling. I want to drive it again when a turbo becomes available.

Stinger – First time driving it. Top level V6 wasn’t available so I drove the 4. Overall nice. No glaring faults. Handling was very good. Comfort good. Interior was nice. It just didn’t push my buttons.

TLX – For the helluva it, why not? V6 SH-AWD. Handled well enough but felt much softer than the others. I felt the 3 had a nicer interior with its simpler lines. Don’t like the exterior styling. Left me with an overall “meh” impression.

And a surprise contender . . .

The CX-9 o_O :oops:

I said I didn’t want an SUV but the sales person asked if I had ever driven one, which I had not.

Wow. At the limits, the above cars obviously will handle better. But in normal to even aggressive driving, the CX-9’s size disappears and at 8/10ths and below, it’s amazingly nimble. Handling is the one thing that has kept me away from SUVs but the CX-9 drives surprisingly well. When I hopped into my 6 to drive home, other than the lower driving position, it didn’t feel that much different to Mazda’s credit.

Goes without saying the interior was fantastic. Even in Grand Touring trim, nice materials, laid out very well. It has all the features of the 6 plus the 2021 will have better cameras, the updated infotainment system, and a few other things. The front seats in the CX-9 are surprisingly more heavily bolstered than the 6.

Other advantages…

I stay with Mazda but still get something new for a couple of years.

The size would actually be a benefit for the family. The wife prefers to take the Wrangler - yes, the Jeep Wrangler - on long trips because she doesn’t like how low the 6 sits. The CX-9 would give us something much more comfortable and roomier for family trips and not be a penalty box for me.

I would go with AWD. We have family in PA and we rent cabins so the AWD would come in handy.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Giulia - Still love this car. Hands down one of the best handling cars in the class. Snug interior but good quality. Pano roof is cool. Concerned about reliability – even though it’s a lease, I don’t want to be back and forth to the dealer.

Mazda 3 – It’s an awesome car. Definitely more snug than the 6. I like the 6’s interior and overall feel better – the stickier Conti’s on my 6 really up the handling. I want to drive it again when a turbo becomes available.

Stinger – First time driving it. Top level V6 wasn’t available so I drove the 4. Overall nice. No glaring faults. Handling was very good. Comfort good. Interior was nice. It just didn’t push my buttons.

TLX – For the helluva it, why not? V6 SH-AWD. Handled well enough but felt much softer than the others. I felt the 3 had a nicer interior with its simpler lines. Don’t like the exterior styling. Left me with an overall “meh” impression.

I said I didn’t want an SUV but the sales person asked if I had ever driven one, which I had not.

Wow. At the limits, the above cars obviously will handle better. But in normal to even aggressive driving, the CX-9’s size disappears and at 8/10ths and below, it’s amazingly nimble. Handling is the one thing that has kept me away from SUVs but the CX-9 drives surprisingly well. When I hopped into my 6 to drive home, other than the lower driving position, it didn’t feel that much different to Mazda’s credit.

Goes without saying the interior was fantastic. Even in Grand Touring trim, nice materials, laid out very well. It has all the features of the 6 plus the 2021 will have better cameras, the updated infotainment system, and a few other things. The front seats in the CX-9 are surprisingly more heavily bolstered than the 6.

Other advantages…

The size would actually be a benefit for the family. The wife prefers to take the Wrangler - yes, the Jeep Wrangler - on long trips because she doesn’t like how low the 6 sits. The CX-9 would give us something much more comfortable and roomier for family trips and not be a penalty box for me.

I would go with AWD. We have family in PA and we rent cabins so the AWD would come in handy.
If the CX-9 is now an option, why not the CX-5 or better yet the CX-30. I bet you find the CX-30, especially if you can wait for the turbo in a month or two the perfect combination.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Other advantages…

I drive a 2018 6 GTR and my wife has a 2020 CX9 GT FWD.
The CX9 does drive like a smaller SUV and is great for long trips.
The highway gas mileage isn't great and the seats are not as good as the 6.
The surround view camera and parking sensors are a nice addition with the CX9 GT that i don't have in my 6.

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
You guys are forgetting that the current gen CX9 is the nicest looking SUV on the road, period. I absolutely love them and, were I to need an SUV some day, would totally go for it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts