Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with 2020 already half in the toilet ( literally, 2020 really belongs in the toilet :p ), I’m thinking about my lease ending at the beginning of next year.

I was really hoping the next generation 6 was out but it looks like it’ll be close to two years from today before we will actually be able to buy it, if that.

The question is… What do I do for two years? The options are:
  • Extend my lease or lease another current 6. I love love love this car but was hoping to change it up.
  • Lease a different Mazda but I don’t want an SUV and as much as I like the 3, it would feel like a step backwards..
  • Lease another car. Currently the Giulia and maybe an S4 are catching my eye. Kia Stinger performance is pretty good but the looks (inside and out) haven’t grown on me,
  • Outright purchasing my existing 6 or another car is not an option. I want to stick with leasing.
First world problems . . . What would you do? What other cars on the market today do 6’er fans appreciate?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Drive the new 3 before you rule it out. It is a little smaller than the 6 but with the latest updates. With AWD and soon the turbo, if you are interested in either, make the 3 a compelling option.

Your most economic solution may be to buy out your 6 if the buyout price is close to wholesale. You may be able to sell it in 2 years without much financial loss.

Probably a horrible deal to renew your lease in the current 6 unless they lower the payment considerably. Your first lease covered the huge initial hit of depreciation. If you pay the same for 2 more years, you are paying it twice.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have a Mazda6...6mt. I tried the 6mt 1.5T and 2.0 Accords. Nice 2.0 (1.5T is an oil diluter)... but as my '17 6 is a Sport (cheap $) the change-up to the Accord was not a compelling value proposition...

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 2.0t m/t comes virtually loaded though. If course it can't compare price wise to a sport 6. I agree though it's expensive. If I was shopping 30k range though it works probably be my first choice being its probably the best manual transmission option and that's all I buy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
'Twas a nice car... to be sure. If I were buying new, now - I'd likely buy one. But as I get older I increasingly seek "value". As I live in Vancouver I could get along without a/c... and a car I really find interesting is the Canada only CDN $9,999.00 Nisan Micra (5mt, no windows, locks, cruise, or a/c). Now that's value. But for ME 'real good drive quality... Nearly bought one some 3-1/2 years ago. Not that recent Nissan's are quality or anything like that though...

·
Registered
238 Posts
A 2- or 3-year lease on something that’s not a Mazda, but is fun to drive (I assume)? Uhh... A BMW? I haven’t driven a new BMW in ages, and obviously they’re radically more money.

I am not a fan of FIAT’s work. They make some pretty cars, and at least some of their cars are enjoyable to drive, but I dislike the low quality and lack of support I’ve experienced from the company or its products from as far back as the ‘70s.

A VW? They make some good-driving cars, and with a short lease you shouldn’t have to worry about things that afflict VWs more often that some brands.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
VW is pretty compelling, it seems to me, on the basis of a 3 yr lease say. GTI? Jetta GLI? Lotsa 'scoot, very nice manual transaxles or very interesting DSG transaxle...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Would anyone who enjoys driving a Mazda ever be happy in an Accord?
Yes...me! I don't have any hard feelings against Mazda and I miss my 6, but the 3.5 V6 and 6-speed are helping me cope with my grief....

Reactions: Archerfish

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes...me! I don't have any hard feelings against Mazda and I miss my 6, but the 3.5 V6 and 6-speed are helping me cope with my grief....
View attachment 240815
I understand the appeal of more power, a coupe design and manual transmission, all with Honda reliability. To be honest, I was not thinking about the V6 Coupe with a manual. I was thinking about the sedan with a CVT.

If only Honda had the handling of a Mazda or Mazda had more power, a coupe, and still offered manuals in most models.

In the end, Mazda people take the handling over power.

(Please forgive me for ignoring the 2.5T - I don’t have that engine yet)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If ever you will consider BMW, please see this one:

·
Registered
291 Posts
'Twas a nice car... to be sure. If I were buying new, now - I'd likely buy one. But as I get older I increasingly seek "value". As I live in Vancouver I could get along without a/c... and a car I really find interesting is the Canada only CDN $9,999.00 Nisan Micra (5mt, no windows, locks, cruise, or a/c). Now that's value. But for ME 'real good drive quality... Nearly bought one some 3-1/2 years ago. Not that recent Nissan's are quality or anything like that though...
The Micra is a death trap, difficult to survive an impact with all the Range Rover's, BMW X5's, Cadillac Escalades, F150's on the roads of Vancouver.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Ah, you are familiar with Vancouver's relative affluence (to be driving quite a few vehicles of the type you mention) + the general (lack of) driving skill here. Alas, you may be right. The Micra is pretty much a "micro"car.

Meanwhile, MY version of an F150... my daily-driver - isn't much bigger I'm afraid.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Would be such a tough choice since the Mazda6 is not available with a manual anymore and the Accord has been now discontinued with the manual and believe there aren't any to be had. I would have said the 2.0T Accord, but I do like the GTI option and perhaps the new Mazda3 with the manual of course and red interior? Might have given the G70 a shot but they too have discontinued the manual. Civic Si would be in the running for me as well. Uggh.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ah, you are familiar with Vancouver's relative affluence (to be driving quite a few vehicles of the type you mention) + the general (lack of) driving skill here. Alas, you may be right. The Micra is pretty much a "micro"car.

Meanwhile, MY version of an F150... my daily-driver - isn't much bigger I'm afraid.
Nice Rolla! :) You're probably a painter?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the comments. All good feedback.

I like Honda. I’ve owned 12+ Hondas. Still have a Prelude. The new Accord is nice but I like the 6 better. Plus Accords are too common.

I would get an S4 before a BMW. Nothing against Bimmers other than they’re fairly common around here. I like driving something that isn‘t at every stoplight.

Good call on the 3. I’ll drive it for the helluvit and see how the turbo feels in the smaller body. But damn, I’ll miss the ventilated seats. :) Those seats alone would make me consider another 6.

What other sedans are out there that have caught your eye?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for the comments. All good feedback.

I like Honda. I’ve owned 12+ Hondas. Still have a Prelude. The new Accord is nice but I like the 6 better. Plus Accords are too common.

I would get an S4 before a BMW. Nothing against Bimmers other than they’re fairly common around here. I like driving something that isn‘t at every stoplight.

Good call on the 3. I’ll drive it for the helluvit and see how the turbo feels in the smaller body. But damn, I’ll miss the ventilated seats. :) Those seats alone would make me consider another 6.

What other sedans are out there that have caught your eye?
If lease deals were any good on Cadillac's I'd say check out the CT4-V or CT5-V, but they probably have very high monthlies. I say go drive the Guilia - I hear so many good things, I'd really like to try one myself - the steering is supposed to be chef's kiss. Since you went with Mazda, I'd guess cohesive & fun handling is higher on your list, which would put the Guilia over an S4. Reliability on the non-QV Guilia's is supposed to be pretty good, and if it's a lease then you don't need to worry about long term anyway. I went with my ATS since the steering and handling was so highly regarded - that said, the ATS was only really special feeling in a couple trim levels which were hard to find (FE3 suspension), whereas the Guilia seems to make the sport suspension (Ti Performance Package) more available across the line. I am also interested in the new 3 with the AWD 2.5T once it lands - my RWD ATS doesn't work great as a year-rounder in Michigan, plus the packaging makes carting around larger items very difficult/impossible and I would very much like large hatchback space. If the 3 tickles my fancy well enough, getting rid of my ATS for that would also let me part with my Mercury Milan (1st gen 6 in Ford drag) winter beater too. My nagging thought, regardless of how good the 3 could be, is that I've eaten most of the ATS's anchor-like depreciation and there remains only ONE naturally aspirated 6-cylinder RWD sports sedan on the market (Lexus IS); perhaps I should just ride out the ATS until Tesla gets their quality act together. :LOL:

Reactions: Trippp

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nice Rolla! :) You're probably a painter?
No, not a painter. Just a Designer wanna-be... that is to say, a roof rack Designer hehe.

Sorry to go a 'wee bit off-topic.

I was chafed when I learned that SportRack would not sell me just the four "fit hooks" to convert my Honda Civic SportRack rack to work with my Corolla... so I made up some hardwood wedges to allow the Honda fit-hooks to work on my Corolla. I am amazed at how stoutly attached the rack bars are with the wedges. I combined the roof rack with nylon loops under-hood (captured by the front fender bolts) and added two structural eyes (onto the rear monocoque frame) for the rear hold-down. Whatever car I have I really believe in maximizing its utility.

Next on the list: a one-person ("operable") roof rack / end-loader / quik-fasten-dn system to transport 4' x 8' sheets of plywood, etc.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts