Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved an e-mail the other day that intrigued me. It started off talking about how we've now been conditioned to believe that gas would be "cheap" if it were less than $2.00 a gallon. It wasn't very long ago that we thought $1.25 was cheap! Anyway, it goes on to point out the biggest oil company, Exxon/Mobile and how they reported their record profits in 2005 that measured in the BILLIONS of dollars. At our expense, of course - you know, because they are "hurting" and all. Then I read about how Exxon's CEO just took a $400,000,000.00 (yes, that is four hundred million dollars!) retirement package - plus other perks!

OK. Let's get to the point. Our energy situation in this country has gotten way out of control. Every petroleum/natural gas utility is having it's way with us. Our government doesn't care. That's why everything is becoming deregulated (Oh yeah, competition was supposed to lower prices. I forgot!). This has become the worst nightmare of "capitalism gone bad"! And it works because we need gas. It's become a part of our lives. We can't just stop using it overall, but we can pick out a particular brand, say the biggest oil company in the world, and stop using theirs.

Think about this and do it. Pass it along to all of your friends and acquaintances. Let's get things back right again. If we don't make a stand of some kind, I assure you we will be paying well over $3.00 a gallon by next year. We cannot let this happen!!!

:swearin:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got this email too and I highly doubt that boycotting one of the major players will make a difference. The problem isn't with the gas companies gouging us with huge markups. It stems from the price of the barrell and the companies that distribute it. That's where the change needs to take place. And now that there is talk of military (even nuclear) action in Iran, so I highly doubt we will be able to lower costs without introducing a new source any time soon.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
It won't work, and pilloring the oil companies for an open market commodity is not addressing the real problem.

People are paranoid about things in Iran that in all reasonable probability will not happen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It won't work, and pilloring the oil companies for an open market commodity is not addressing the real problem.

People are paranoid about things in Iran that in all reasonable probability will not happen.
[/b]
There's definitely a political and completely unrealistic point to some of the reports that we would get involved there. But Iran is pretty adamant about protecting its borders and it wouldn't surprise me if they take advantage of their new-found nuclear power.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i already boycott the biggest oil company ... not because of this but because they are always the most expensive

this kind of stuff is just not going to work as much as i would like it to

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I agree Iran is adamant about protecting its borders. However, that is not unusual or a cause to believe oil supply will be disrupted. Iran would be committing suicide to not market oil, and they know it. They never have restricted their oil supply in the past, no matter how tense relations have been.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How about the fact that gas stations in MN are required to sell gas at a certain profit margin by the state and if they do not mark up each gallon of gas by said percentage the station is fined until the price is raised. This is supposedly done to keep the large gas stations from undercutting the little guy, but there are no mom & pop gas stations around here anymore.

There is a gas company (station) in MN that allows you to purchase futures (gallons) of gas at the current rate and you then simply come back and fill up your tank deducting the gas gallons from your account. Evidently some very smart Minnesotans are still filling up for $.98 a gallon because they bought a few thousand gallons in the year 2000. Now that is a smart investment if you can call it that. This service is of course not available anywhere near Minneapolis it is in St. Cloud, MN.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We should try to start to launch a nation wide one day driving boycott. It has been reported that a 3 % drop in usage in this country would tumble oil prices. The oil speculators love this environment of confusion and chaos; they stick it to you and you thank them for it. The Bush/Cheney cabal will do nothing for you. Remember they're oil men. Of course, they'll piss and moan that we're only hurting ourselves and the mom and pop shops.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I wonder if we could save a substantial portion of that just by getting cars into decent maintenance of basic things like tire pressure and air filters, and by getting people to empty their cars of excess stuff.

I think there's lots of low hanging fruit where we can reduce gas consumption without expecting people to really change much.

·
Registered
979 Posts
This was on the news here today and they are saying that there is no proof that this would work no mottre how many people did it... I think it would taken all of the US to do any damage and that is wishful.. I wish we could hurt them... Or at least retire like them.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I wonder if we could save a substantial portion of that just by getting cars into decent maintenance of basic things like tire pressure and air filters, and by getting people to empty their cars of excess stuff.

I think there's lots of low hanging fruit where we can reduce gas consumption without expecting people to really change much.
[/b]
i think you'd do better geting soccer moms to quit driving explorers and expeditions and put them in a reasonable vehicle.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Global demand is not the issue at this time, it's unwarranted concerns over supply. There is enough oil for the foreseeable future, and there is no credible evidence to show there will not be (no matter how paranoid commodities traders want to get and believe that there may not).

Husker, my whole idea is to make savings without expecting people to change driving or vehicle habits, which is impossible in the short term, and likely very difficult in the long term.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Well, if you boycott one, your money goes to the other, in term making THEM the biggest one... etc etc.. cycling back to the one you started...

Im just going to instead make my 6s run on vegetable oil and banana peels... :):):)

·
Registered
337 Posts
The only reason gas is going up is because of speculation. Gas just got up to $75 a barrel today, I guess someone in Iran sneezed or something and the American media and speculators took Ah-Choo as I'll Nuke You. Yeah, thats probably what it is.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well, if you boycott one, your money goes to the other, in term making THEM the biggest one... etc etc.. cycling back to the one you started...

Im just going to instead make my 6s run on vegetable oil and banana peels... :):):)
[/b]
like Mr. Fusion?!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I already am boycotting Exxon/Mobil for still not paying up for the Exxon Valdez. That was 18 years ago! I really hated to give up Mobil 1 oil though but, on principle. I know moral victorys are very small and it may be a drop in the bucket but, I feel better about where my money goes.

So EXXONMOBIL :thefing:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just received this email yesterday. Though i dont really think it will work like we would like it too(exxon mobil has its hands in alot of different companies, so boycotting the label we know as exxon mobil will only hurt them a bit, in fact we could be turning around and supporting them at another pump.),yet its worth a try. Sooo I am also boycotting exxon/mobil.
Another thing we can do is slash the tires of SUV owners. You know the single man/woman who drives a vehicle that will fit 10+ people comfortably, but only occasionally has two passengers. :goon: I guess I can't complain its the american way.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
22 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing