Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many people, I think the stock tires on the MS6 seem kind of narrow, and I've though about fitting wider tires.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the the expected performance changes. Obviously, a wider tire will widen the contact patch, which I would expect to increase straight-line traction (acceleration and braking). However, the contact patch should also get shorter with a wider tire (as measured from the front to back of the car). Wouldn't this have a negative effect on lateral grip? Could cornering ability be reduced?

Perhaps the correct conclusion is that the stock tires are so narrow that a small increase in width will not shorten the contact patch enough to reduce lateral grip.

Please share your ideas....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Reduced? exactly the opposite. any "shortening" of the contact patch is more than made up for by the widening of that same contact patch. As a rule of thumb, The wider the contact patch the more grip both lateral and longitudinal you have. The narrower the contact patch the better the fuel consumption due to less friction from a smaller overall contact patch.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
wider tires only changes the shape of the contact patch. instead of being a vertical rectangle, it becomes a horizontal rectangle. go to mazda6tech.com and see stretch's post of tire sizing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
ryceboi
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing