Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don't get huge snowfalls on Cape Cod very often, but we do get snow and I do live on a very steep hill. So the stock tires are obviously not a year round option. I've searched the board and read all the winter tire threads I could find. And I also looked in the tire/wheel section at everyone's photos to try to come to a decision on a tire/wheel package. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Kazera KZ-S for the wheels. They're 18x7 with 50mm offset, and the price is good at $149 each.

Tires are another issue. I don't really want to go with a full snow because typically I probably only need to drive in measurable snow at most 10 times a year. I think all-season radials will do fine and I suspect that there's less of a dry/rain performance dropoff than with Blizzaks, for example. Problem is, the PZero Neros look like they'd be terrible in the snow. They must barely qualify for an M&S rating. In fact, a friend put his A4 Quattro in a ditch on those last year - could have been his driving, but its still a poor endorsement. So I'd like to go with something with a little more agressive tread pattern, like Continental Extreme Contacts. I know a few people with these on FWD cars who love them. But they don't come in 215/45-18, only 225/45-18. I know it makes for a larger circumference and alters the speedo readout, but the difference is probably negligible enough not to matter - roughly the equivalent of the difference between a new tire and a worn tire.

What I want to know is, does anyone out there have a combination like this? I know there are plenty of folks with aftermarket wheels with a similar size/offset, and probably some running 225/45s. Anybody running both? Any issues specific to this setup?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I run with 225/45/18's on rx8 rims and I love it. Great turn in and better control than my 215/50/17's

·
Registered
940 Posts
What I want to know is, does anyone out there have a combination like this? I know there are plenty of folks with aftermarket wheels with a similar size/offset, and probably some running 225/45s. Anybody running both? Any issues specific to this setup?

Thanks.
[/b]
I am preparing to do the same thing and the speedo difference is very minute - not worth worrying about. Others have done the same size tire on the stock MS6 rims too. Should not have any problems, but you will get a little more sidewall flex.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am preparing to do the same thing and the speedo difference is very minute - not worth worrying about. Others have done the same size tire on the stock MS6 rims too. Should not have any problems, but you will get a little more sidewall flex.
[/b]
Agreed. By my calculation, the speedo difference is approximately 1.38%, which means my speedo will be 1MPH off when I'm traveling at around 72 MPH. I'm assuming the additional sidewall will slightly improve ride and that the additional flex may be offset somewhat by the additional treadwidth.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I run 225/45/18 Dunlops on the stock rim, no issues.
It seems the car has a better stance on the road even with the softer sidewall of the particular tires.

Most speedos display 2-3mph faster than your actual speed, I have verified this with GPS in multiple vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had 225/45/18 Dunlop Winter Sport M3’s on ASA AR1 wheels (18 x 7.5, 52mm offset) for a few months and just put them on the car tonight. Can’t comment with any authority right now. I liked the test drive I just took. Snow maybe next week.

I know this site has been posted before. Put your stats in to compare tires and wheels. It says only 8mm more on height from the 215/45/18 to the 225/45/18.
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

·
Registered
16 Posts
FWIW, I ruined a tire Saturday & rather than replace the stock Bridgestone right now, I've ordered a set of Mastercraft all seasons for winter. I'm getting all four for about $350. They are 215x45x18. I think I can hold it to 130 mph to comply with the H-rating this winter! (Haven't been that fast in 5000 miles!) Then, I'll pick up an RE50A next spring.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
the bridgestones do surprisingly great in snow....in atleast 5ish inches of snow, they'll do just fine specially with the AWD....... its not worth chaingg the tires, unless you get a SHIT load of snow....upwards of a foot or more / you have go to up hills and shit....

·
Registered
428 Posts
the bridgestones do surprisingly great in snow....in atleast 5ish inches of snow, they'll do just fine specially with the AWD....... its not worth chaingg the tires, unless you get a SHIT load of snow....upwards of a foot or more / you have go to up hills and shit....
[/b]
i disagree. anyone who lives in an area with any snow should invest in at least all seasons or winter tires. having drove through a relatively mild winter on stock tires last year, i can tell you it wasnt fun at all. unless ofcourse you like your ms6 skating at stops and turns.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do you know the offset of the rx8 wheels?

We don't get huge snowfalls on Cape Cod very often, but we do get snow and I do live on a very steep hill. So the stock tires are obviously not a year round option. I've searched the board and read all the winter tire threads I could find. And I also looked in the tire/wheel section at everyone's photos to try to come to a decision on a tire/wheel package. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Kazera KZ-S for the wheels. They're 18x7 with 50mm offset, and the price is good at $149 each.

Tires are another issue. I don't really want to go with a full snow because typically I probably only need to drive in measurable snow at most 10 times a year. I think all-season radials will do fine and I suspect that there's less of a dry/rain performance dropoff than with Blizzaks, for example. Problem is, the PZero Neros look like they'd be terrible in the snow. They must barely qualify for an M&S rating. In fact, a friend put his A4 Quattro in a ditch on those last year - could have been his driving, but its still a poor endorsement. So I'd like to go with something with a little more agressive tread pattern, like Continental Extreme Contacts. I know a few people with these on FWD cars who love them. But they don't come in 215/45-18, only 225/45-18. I know it makes for a larger circumference and alters the speedo readout, but the difference is probably negligible enough not to matter - roughly the equivalent of the difference between a new tire and a worn tire.

Thanks.
[/b]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I don't know the offset of the RX-8 wheels. I did order my "winter" wheels though and went with what I had suggested I might do in my original post - 18x7 wheels with 225/45-18s. The rep at Tire Rack said they had a few people complain about a slight fender rub in the rear when the car was loaded down, but that a fender roll would resolve it. I decided to take my chances since I rarely have people in the back seat.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
the bridgestones do surprisingly great in snow....in atleast 5ish inches of snow, they'll do just fine specially with the AWD....... its not worth chaingg the tires, unless you get a SHIT load of snow....upwards of a foot or more / you have go to up hills and shit.... [/b]
i couldnt disagree more. no offense, i just think it is terrible advice telling people to use a summer rated tire in the winter, whether there is a shit load of snow or not. they simply arent meant to be used in cold temperatures, irrespective of precipitation. awd is nice, but it doesnt do much for when youre trying to stop the vehicle.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have had 225/45/18 Dunlop Winter Sport M3’s on ASA AR1 wheels (18 x 7.5, 52mm offset) for a few months and just put them on the car tonight. Can’t comment with any authority right now. I liked the test drive I just took. Snow maybe next week.

[/b]
225/45/18 on ASA AR1 18x7.5 for the win on non-speed 6 - as big as you can get without rubbing or fender roll, and corrects the factory speedo error.

Agreed, summer tires should not be used in cold temps even without snow. I'll be putting the factory 17s back on my car for the winter just to park it ;) (Drove those "all-seasons" in the snow a couple times and wasn't impressed)

·
Registered
5 Posts
225/45/18 on ASA AR1 18x7.5 for the win on non-speed 6 - as big as you can get without rubbing or fender roll, and corrects the factory speedo error.

Agreed, summer tires should not be used in cold temps even without snow. I'll be putting the factory 17s back on my car for the winter just to park it ;) (Drove those "all-seasons" in the snow a couple times and wasn't impressed)
[/b]

Sorry if I don't understand but the 225/45/18 on ASA AR1's are on a speed6.....and I also agree with no summer tires in the winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts