Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently blew out two tires on one side and ruined two rims. I have a 2006 mazda 6s. the dealer wanted like twelve hundred for the two to be replaced. i told him it was rediculous price and bought 4 new rims and 2 new tires. aparently my car came with 205/50/r17's and the door panel says 215/50/r17's so thats what the place put on. so it didnt look wierd they put the 215's in the back and the 205's in the front. looks good but when i go over bumps it rubs pretty bad. my question is what size did everyones car come with. mine had 10,000 miles when i bought it and would anyone see any problem with me swithchin the slightly larger tires to the front to see if they might not rub up there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
It's not the tires, it's the wheels. They are too low of an offset and it's causing the tire to rub. Plus, you need to get those 205/50R17s off your car. They are the wrong size. Everyone's came with 215/50R17.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i recently blew out two tires on one side and ruined two rims. I have a 2006 mazda 6s. the dealer wanted like twelve hundred for the two to be replaced. i told him it was rediculous price and bought 4 new rims and 2 new tires. aparently my car came with 205/50/r17's and the door panel says 215/50/r17's so thats what the place put on. so it didnt look wierd they put the 215's in the back and the 205's in the front. looks good but when i go over bumps it rubs pretty bad. my question is what size did everyones car come with. mine had 10,000 miles when i bought it and would anyone see any problem with me swithchin the slightly larger tires to the front to see if they might not rub up there.
[/b]

the 215's rub not the 205's tho maybe the struts are bad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What part of this did you not understand?
[/b]
i dont know anything about wheels or tires but its the back tires that rub when i hit bumps so what can i do

i dont know anything about wheels or tires but its the back tires that rub when i hit bumps so what can i do
[/b]
im just sayin i cant bee like oops wheels are no good and just go buy a new set and its not like i had time to research anything i blew out two tires and rims got bent i had to drive 400 miles the next day for work... i drive all the time and all over the country and i just want to know if theres anything i can do like putting the wheels with the smaller tire in the back because thats where it rubs to see if it will help or if i am just screwed because i bought the wrong offset wheels. i dont know anything about this stuff i am an idiot and i am asking for help because all mechanics want to do is rip me off and tell me i need new struts or some other little thing and i aint got enuff money to blow on a bunch of stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
The solution: You need to roll your fender. There is a tool for that, or if you want to be primitive, use a baseball bat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The solution: You need to roll your fender. There is a tool for that, or if you want to be primitive, use a baseball bat.
[/b]
ok solutions are good if you could go more in depth and is there someplace like a bodyshop i can take it to and can i put 205/50/r17's on the back and 215/50/r17's just because they are older tires and i prefer not to ruin brand new tires

·
Registered
391 Posts
[/b]
Are those tires in your pics 205/50 and 215/50's?! They look really small, more like a 2**/40something... maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

Everywhere I've read, 17" wheels don't normally rub, I was worried about this too when I upgraded my tires to 225/45's, but I haven't had any rubbing issues. So I'd say something else is definitly wrong if you have 17" wheels and 215's are rubbing... unless they are offset pretty far out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
[/b]
when did u blow out ur tires, while u where driving, or was it over night? if u blew them while u where driving the impact might have messed up ur balence and/or ur alinment try going to a garage for an alinment and see what they say. well u said that it only rubs when u go over bumps? well then its most deffinatly ur struts and/or shocks (i think) but my advice to u is to ask a garage to look at it they shouldnt charge u, but if they do it should be only a small fee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when did u blow out ur tires, while u where driving, or was it over night? if u blew them while u where driving the impact might have messed up ur balence and/or ur alinment try going to a garage for an alinment and see what they say. well u said that it only rubs when u go over bumps? well then its most deffinatly ur struts and/or shocks (i think) but my advice to u is to ask a garage to look at it they shouldnt charge u, but if they do it should be only a small fee.
[/b]
yeah i like hit something in the road

·
Registered
139 Posts
What kind of rims did you buy? As Toyo Guy said its probably the offset on the rims, the stock Mazda rims have a really high offset, if your new rims are too low it causes the rims/tires to stick out farther, thus causing the rubbing, esp when you it bumps. More than likely the reason only the backs are rubbing is because the front fenders are 'rolled' when you buy them... go outside and take a look, the front fender edge is bent back up whereas the rear stick pretty much straight out. Yes, that little amount of space makes a huge difference. Do as suggested and rent a fender roller, or use the cheapo method and grab a bat. Other than buying new rims its gonna be the best way to fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of rims did you buy? As Toyo Guy said its probably the offset on the rims, the stock Mazda rims have a really high offset, if your new rims are too low it causes the rims/tires to stick out farther, thus causing the rubbing, esp when you it bumps. More than likely the reason only the backs are rubbing is because the front fenders are 'rolled' when you buy them... go outside and take a look, the front fender edge is bent back up whereas the rear stick pretty much straight out. Yes, that little amount of space makes a huge difference. Do as suggested and rent a fender roller, or use the cheapo method and grab a bat. Other than buying new rims its gonna be the best way to fix it.
[/b]
so i should just roll that edge in sounds easy i will try it. can i have a professional do it ... is it expensive because im replacing the back bumper anyways cuz some dumb chick hit it and took off while it was parked. i might also try switching the tires from back to front to see if it helps because they should be a slight bit narowwer and it barely rubs on the outer edge of the tires. i just wish i could take my rims back and get different ones .... i might try that too... because i told the guy to make sure they dont rub. i got them from les schwab and i have the reciept and all but i dont know how easy it is to exchange rims. i mean they dont have so much as a nick on them and only about 1,200 miles on them... i travel alot and am going back through the town soon. otherwise i would have already done it. alright well thanks a ton for the help you live and learn i guess....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I never purchased rims before so no idea if they will let you return them or not. One would think that if they said the rims wouldn't rub and they are you could return them, but who knows. In the odd chance they do let you, make sure any you buy in the future have a higher offset, the factory rims are +60, on a similiar size rim (17x7 I assume) you should probably be alright with as low as +48 without having to roll.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yea just try and c if u can go return them. But this time before u install those rims, roll the fender first. I had problems with my tires rubbing the fender in the back. But it was b/c of the fender, so i got the ppl that did put the rims on for me to roll the fender for me. Good luck. ull need it. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
From the tiny tiny picture, your offset looks WAY to low.

·
Registered
30 Posts
try to post some bigger pictures but from what i can see i agree with gremlyn your offset is way too low. i dont think fender rolling is gonna help enough, i think your gonna have to look at new wheels

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well looks like ull be having sum new rims.... i think ur offset is kind low too...better get it checked before u add more mileages on them... :yesnod:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts