Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I'd like to get some tire recommendations. It's time to replace the tires on my 2003 6i ATX. Since it's mainly driven by my wife, and never driven hard, I'm looking for a tire that offers good all weather traction and good longevity, not necessarily a tire that will stick to hairpin corners at high speeds.
The stock Michelins have done well, but I don't want to drop that kind of coin.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you are coming through Dallas anytime soon, you can get four stock Michelins already mounted on Mazda rims for $200. The tires have 1,500 miles on them.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hi all -

I'd like to get some tire recommendations. It's time to replace the tires on my 2003 6i ATX. Since it's mainly driven by my wife, and never driven hard, I'm looking for a tire that offers good all weather traction and good longevity, not necessarily a tire that will stick to hairpin corners at high speeds.
The stock Michelins have done well, but I don't want to drop that kind of coin.

Thanks in advance...
[/b]
The '03 6i shipped with either 16" wheels or 17" wheels. You do not specify if you have the 16" wheels or the 17" wheels.

For the 16" wheels, a recommendation is easy: Dunlop SP Sport 01 in the 215/55-16 97V size. (Note: these are not snow tires; they are all-weather-except-snow tires.) Excellent in the dry, excellent in the wet, completely predictable, tracks well, quiet. You (your wife) will find yourself (herself) making significantly fewer micro steering corrections as you (she) head(s) down the road. Dunlop has never advertised the SP Sport 01 as a replacement tire on this side of the Atlantic Ocean; it is the OEM tire on a number of German automobiles, including the Audi S4 and the BMW 745i; it is very attractively priced.

For 17" wheels, the choices are diverse, different compromises, and it is not as easy to make a recommendation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The '03 6i shipped with either 16" wheels or 17" wheels. You do not specify if you have the 16" wheels or the 17" wheels.

For the 16" wheels, a recommendation is easy: Dunlop SP Sport 01 in the 215/55-16 97V size. (Note: these are not snow tires; they are all-weather-except-snow tires.) Excellent in the dry, excellent in the wet, completely predictable, tracks well, quiet. You (your wife) will find yourself (herself) making significantly fewer micro steering corrections as you (she) head(s) down the road. Dunlop has never advertised the SP Sport 01 as a replacement tire on this side of the Atlantic Ocean; it is the OEM tire on a number of German automobiles, including the Audi S4 and the BMW 745i; it is very attractively priced.

For 17" wheels, the choices are diverse, different compromises, and it is not as easy to make a recommendation.
[/b]
Our 6i has the 16" alloys. I'd prefer to stick with the stock 205/60 size to keep the speedo and odo accurate. Well, I wouldn't be opposed to going with 215/60 but I don't feel comfortable changing sidewall size.
Also, I have Dunlop SP Sport 9000s on my mustang, and they seem to wear prematurely... other than that I was happy with their performance.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Toyo Proxes TPT. All season touring tire with a 65,000 mile treadwear warranty. Available in the stock 205/60R16 and V-speed rated. Similar to the original equipment Michelins, but slightly better handling, longer treadlife and much less expensive!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
He does and is the Tire GOD of the forums!
[/b]
:laugh: People are going to start calling you one of my "groupies!"

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Our 6i has the 16" alloys. I'd prefer to stick with the stock 205/60 size to keep the speedo and odo accurate. Well, I wouldn't be opposed to going with 215/60 but I don't feel comfortable changing sidewall size.
Also, I have Dunlop SP Sport 9000s on my mustang, and they seem to wear prematurely... other than that I was happy with their performance.
[/b]

215/55-16 sidewall is barely 0.1" greater than 205/60-16.
I don't think you will experience any odo accuracy issues.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not necessarily what you want, but I am running Toyo Proxes4 as of recently, which I purchased from Edgeracing.com. Both Toyo and Edgeracing have been great so far if you decide to go with one or the other!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Toyo Proxes TPT. All season touring tire with a 65,000 mile treadwear warranty. Available in the stock 205/60R16 and V-speed rated. Similar to the original equipment Michelins, but slightly better handling, longer treadlife and much less expensive!

[/b]

When it comes to tires listen to whatever this guy says!!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
[/b]
1. The second number in the tire size designation is a ratio, not a size. The nominal sidewall height is that ratio applied to the section width: that is, 60 percent of 205 (equals 123 mm) or 55 percent of 215 (equals 118 mm). Five mm is about 0.2"; the overall tire diameter is about 25.6".

2. It is a rare tire that has a section width of exactly 205.00 mm, or that has an aspect ration of exactly 60.00 (percent). All you know from the 205/60 specification is that -- when mounted on the specified mounting rim -- the section width is more than 200 mm and less than 210 mm, and that the sidewall is more than 57.5 percent and less than 62.5 percent of the section width. (In fact, in the OEM tire for the Mazda6 with 17" wheels, Michelin's own data sheets for the MXM4 in the 215/50-17 size show a different actual size -- illustrated by a different number of revolutions per mile -- for the H-rated version than for the V-rated version in the same specification size.) A given 215/55 tire could actually have a taller sidewall than a given 205/60 tire.

3. Your experience with the Dunlop SP Sport 9000 probably does not apply to the SP Sport 01. When the 9000 came out, Dunlop was owned by Sumitomo, the 9000 was designed by Sumitomo, and IIRC the 9000 was made in Japan. Later, Goodyear acquired both the tire operations of Sumitomo (and the Dunlop brand) and the German tire company Fulda. The SP Sport is a German-designed tire manufactured in Germany, though it bears the Dunlop brand. The name on the sidewall is the only similarity between the SP Sport 9000 and the SP Sport 01.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i'm putting some BG KDW's on in 2 days. not really what i was looking at getting, but after talking with the guy at the shop, he sold me on them. they are a bit soft it seems on the mini, but we'll see how the 225/40's feel on the car. i don't want a tire that will last more than 25-30k so we'll see.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Click here: Tirerack, Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus. Nice tire for the money. ;)
[/b]
Just an update - I picked up a set of the Dunlop SP Sport A2s here locally (got the same deal as what I would have paid tire rack). The tires seem to ride / handle very smooth and quiet. Excellent wet weather traction. Just what I was looking for!
Thanks again to all who responded.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
bridgestone goo9's
cheaper and better than proxys
[/b]
Meh. Consider the source of information, sexy6s. freakta is quite anti-Toyo, but probably only b/c of me (I verbally spanked him in another thread and he has never forgiven/forgotten).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts