Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of RX8 wheels for our Speed6 and am looking for some recomendations when it comes to tires. These will be summer only wheels so summer only rubber. I am thinking 225-45-18 or 235-40-18 for size but prefer not to roll the fenders (car is at stock ride height). Also not looking for "race" rubber, treadwear rating around 300 prefered. I have a couple in mind but would like to get some input from the guys around here since I am a bit new to these cars.

Thanks,
Bryan Miller

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
235/40 you shouldn't have to roll with that size of tires on those particular rims. Personally, I would recommend the slightest of roll in the rear and 245/40 on those rims. If you are looking for specific tire recs, I've been so amazed with the Sumitomo HTR ZIII I'll be using them for a long time. Don't forget to complement your new rubber and rims with a suspension correction for the factory faults. A set of SPC++ balljoints up front and a full alignment fix.

·
Registered
493 Posts
235/40/18 profile is just a hint too low and doesn't quite fill the wheel well at stock height. This is my impression after getting Sumitomo HTR ZIII's. No chance of rubbing. 225/45 might look better. Looks aside, HTR ZIII's mounted on RX-8's handle much better than the stock bridgestone 215/45's.

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
Filling the wheel well isn't the idea when selecting the proper tires for your car. That's for big ass trucks. Staying in spec, which both sizes do while the 235 offers more meat on the road is the goal. If you don't like the stance of the car, lower it. 225/40 is the one that is too small for the speed, but people still run it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
235/40/18 !

Extreme Summers Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1

Those tires suck in cold. OK in rain. Fucking awesome in 40*F+ dry (warmed up).

It's a well-known, long running tire that's reasonably priced and people have been getting upwards of 15k miles of em. (Just as bad as stockers..but only $160 on tirerack and they are a stickier compound)

OR Potenza RE-11s I like a lot too..but priced kinda higher.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
235/40-18. Ran General Exclaims for the last 3 years until they wore down to the wear bars last month (approx 30k miles). Replaced them with the new Hankook Ventus V12 EVO K110.

Car&Driver did a test of a few tires last month and the Hankooks came in 2nd behind the Dunlop Direzza Sport Star Spec. CD review of K110

Excellent tire for the price. Great traction in both dry and wet. Noticeably firmer sidewalls than Exclaims (known to be soft for ride quality) and sharper turn in.

However the firmer ride wasn't too noticeable to my wife so it couldn't be that much more, but I can feel it. Paid $107 each from Onlinetires.com, which is really inexpensive for a relatively new model compared to others in this size (Exclaims were a few dollars more).

·
Registered
875 Posts
+1 for the V12 EVO. Friend has 'em and they are pretty amazing bang for the buck.

How did you drive your car to get 30k miles off those tires? Like a granny?! Lol. I had All-Seasons Kumho ASXs and I got 22k miles out of 'em. I thought that to be pretty good.. even though people get 30k+ on 'em. Pretty good tires in the cold after you wear them down.
(Random comment: got ripped off on those tires.. Had no idea dealer was over-charging by $100 on each tire. They covered one though so I only overpaid $100 after labor and all

·
Registered
615 Posts
Goodyear Eagle GT FTW
After reading reviews, they rated best in their class, with very good traction on dry and wet (snow traction is pretty crappy, personal rating..).

VIDEO REVIEW (Comparing 4 different tires)
Also check out the spider charts..

Get 225/45ZR18, I too have RX8 wheels, and am at stock height, and have had no problems at all rubbing. I have had them for about 6 or so months now and are all still in great shape, maybe 1/3 or less wear on the fronts.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm running 225/45/18 kumho SPT and they are decent, I will be switching out to 235/40 when these wear out.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Wow, onlinetires.com has some good prices and charges the same for shipping as Tire Rack, at least for me. Now lets see if Americas Tire will price match them like they do for Tire Rack because I have a $50 gift card.

·
Registered
261 Posts
235/40 Sumitomo HTR ZIII. Love these tires! And they are cheap. I would say they beat both the stock tires and the falken azenis rt615's that I had. Good grip, good wear, very smooth ride.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i recently had 235/40 and it didn't work so well. right now i'm using 225/45. stock height. 225/40 will look better than 235/40 on stock height. i live in wisconsin so i need the extra height.

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (ITIongo @ Jan 21 2010, 09:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1631301
i recently had 235/40 and it didn't work so well. right now i'm using 225/45. stock height. 225/40 will look better than 235/40 on stock height. i live in wisconsin so i need the extra height.[/b]
What "didn't work so well"? I live in wisconsin also and this is my 3rd set of 235/40 tires with no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (jmhinkle @ Jan 21 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1631331
I'm guessing his rims are what didn't work so well, but haven't seen an answer from him yet.[/b]

Thanks for the input guys. I have been going between the Potenzas, UHPs, and V12's but I have a couple months before I need to decide.

-Bryan

·
Registered
90 Posts
So 235/40 doesn't rub with the RX8s on a Speed6 w/o rolling the fenders? I have RPM Street springs with 225/45-18 Toyo Proxes 4 and they seem to be decent. Thinking about 235/40 for my next set if there is no need to roll the fenders.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've run two sets of Generals (I live on a very winding and abrasive road, a lot of fun but I can't get more than 12-15k out of a set of tires no matter what they are. The Generals work very well, but do get REALLY noisy as they reach the end of tread life (turn up the radio, is a wheel bearing going noisy on this set). They're certainly the cheapest at less than $100 per. I haven't noticed a perceptible difference in dry road performance between 235-40, 225-40 and the stockers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Drag'n this back from the dead.
Here's pics, RX8 rims & Hankook Ventus V12 EVO K110 235/40/18.

So far I'm a happy camper.

Reactions: cfdp

·
Registered
118 Posts
heres a pic of mine with 235/40/18

i have h and rs and theres no rubbing even with three people in back and full trunk although it is sooo low when thats the case lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts