Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some 215/50R17 Dunlop M3's on 17x7 Kazera wheels for winter from Tire Rack for my MS6, and they arrived UPS today. Sitting in the driveway they looked awfully large. Oh, and what's up with that Michelin sticker? WTF?

THEY SENT THE WRONG TIRES. They sent 225/55R17 Michelin Ice tires instead of the 215/50R17 Dunlops.

I looked at the confirmation email again to make sure I hadn't done something totally stupid. No, I ordered Dunlops.

I called Tire Rack, and got a snippy customer service rep who obviously thought I couldn't read the stickers on the tread or the tire sidewall. They finally said they would send out new wheels/tires, and I could repack the others (for some reason they said they all must be repacked, even though I only unpacked one) and send them back.

A few minutes later, I got a call that, no, they didn't have the wheels and tires in the same warehouse, and they would send just tires, and could I take them somewhere and have them mounted, and then pack up the bad tires and send them back?

Are they known to screw up like this often? I mean, I could see if maybe they sent the wrong size tires of the correct brand/type, or the wrong type of the correct brand in the correct size, but they sent the wrong BRAND and the wrong SIZE.

Now I have to p*ss away a couple of hours having the tires mounted, and packing and sending the others. The rims get two shots are being scratched when the tires are dismounted/mounted.

Anyone else have problems with these guys?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Sorry dude. Bad luck. I bought 3 sets of tires and 1 tire/wheel combo and have not had a problem.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Lord I hope that they aren't incompitent. I'm sitting here right now waiting for the UPS man that should have my wheels and tire package. Man, I hope that they got it right. Haven't heard any stories like that before, I hope that it's an isolated incident. Even more disturbing is the rude and unhelpful customer service, that's what would really piss me off. I bet they didn't screw up getting the money out of you.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I ordered some 215/50R17 Dunlop M3's on 17x7 Kazera wheels for winter from Tire Rack for my MS6, and they arrived UPS today. Sitting in the driveway they looked awfully large. Oh, and what's up with that Michelin sticker? WTF?

THEY SENT THE WRONG TIRES. They sent 225/55R17 Michelin Ice tires instead of the 215/50R17 Dunlops.

I looked at the confirmation email again to make sure I hadn't done something totally stupid. No, I ordered Dunlops.

I called Tire Rack, and got a snippy customer service rep who obviously thought I couldn't read the stickers on the tread or the tire sidewall. They finally said they would send out new wheels/tires, and I could repack the others (for some reason they said they all must be repacked, even though I only unpacked one) and send them back.

A few minutes later, I got a call that, no, they didn't have the wheels and tires in the same warehouse, and they would send just tires, and could I take them somewhere and have them mounted, and then pack up the bad tires and send them back?

Are they known to screw up like this often? I mean, I could see if maybe they sent the wrong size tires of the correct brand/type, or the wrong type of the correct brand in the correct size, but they sent the wrong BRAND and the wrong SIZE.

Now I have to p*ss away a couple of hours having the tires mounted, and packing and sending the others. The rims get two shots are being scratched when the tires are dismounted/mounted.

[/b]

listen i deal with tire rack all the time. i work for a dealer, and constantly order from them. it doesnt happen often, you prolly just had some pissed off employee working on your package.

as for sending you new tires and having to demount and mount the rims and tires now, call them up 1800-445-0179, speak with cust. service ext 360.. and tell them simply, send new rims and the right tires cfrom the warehouse that has the right tires. tell them you want them premounted and its not your issue they sent the wrong tires. they should not make it your issue either. dont get pissy, otherwise they will get pissy back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've ordered countless things from these guys and have never had a problem. Looks like you just had bad luck. Sucks. Sorry. Call customer service and (in a nice way) tell them that it's their mistake and they should start from scratch. If they aren't accomodating, ask to speak to a manager. It's bad enough you have to send their mistake back to them! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

[/b]
I've bought several sets of tires and a couple wheel sets from them and have never had any problems. matter of fact i always found their service to be excellent.
But, you had a bad experience. It hapens even with the best dealers.
Personally I wouldn't accept their offer. I would insist they send a UPS pick tag for the entire wheel/tire package and send you the correct ones. Let THEM deal with the mounting issues and the hassles They have the ability to ship things between their warehouses, again let THEM deal with the hassles until you get what you ordered, period. I assume you paid with a credit card, so if you meet much resistance you always have the option of disputing the charge until you reach an agreement. I'd call back, tell them how you feel they should handle it, and if you get any resistance from the entry level person you talk to insist on a supervisor or manager until you get someone who treats you properly.
Again, this is NOT the norm for TireRack

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
Wait a minute, hold the phone...

So they fucked up sending you the wrong tires and YOU have to have them rotated. Oh hell no. You tell them you will take the difference as a credit back on your card. That's their mistake, not yours. Call back and speak with a supervisor. If they don't give you satisfaction, call your bank and tell them you weren't satisfied with the transaction and you didn't get what you ordered. Charge it back. But make sure you give them a chance first to fix their mistakes.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,607 Posts
I've dealt with them in the past on many occasions, with no problems.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
The right answer has already been mentioned. Call back in a nice tone and let them make it right at their expense/dime.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The right answer has already been mentioned. Call back in a nice tone and let them make it right at their expense/dime.
[/b]
^^^^ my answer. haha. seriously though, dont get pissed and start yelling at them. they dont want to hear it, and they will not help you out as much as if your just calm and relax and tell them you think its messed up, they need to fix it right.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Probably just a mistake. I have dealt with them on at least 3 occasions and have never had a probelm. I have spoken to and e-mailed their sales guys and they have been great. I am sure they will do right for you and clear up the mistake.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tire Rack did offer to pay for the mounting/balancing, but it would take four trips at 13 miles each way (I live in the middle of nowhere) to get all the wheels and tires down there and back. It's a hassle, and then if the rims are scratched or the tires aren't mounted/balanced properly, it becomes a fingerpointing headache.

They definitely have some issues. They have the wheels in stock in one warehouse, and the tires in another. The customer service rep said there was no way for them to ship the wheels to the tires or the tires to the wheels. I asked if we could send the wheels/tires they sent me to the location where the tires are, and they said no.

So, I told them to send the packing material so I can send the wheels/tires back. I have to unpack/repack them.

Recommendations for other good tire shops are being accepted. Is there anywhere locally in Denver that doesn't want $250 for good 215/50R17 snows? That is the cheapest quote I got on Blizzaks or Dunlops around here.

Any other internet tire shops?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I got my wheels from TireRack with no problems.
[/b]
+1, wheels and tires came with no problems, even a day earlier than promised. Additionally one of their CSRs called after I ordered online to let me know that I *may* experience rubbing with the wheel/tire combo I got (225's vs. stock 215s), though that has not been an issue :)

I highly recommend them

my 2 cents

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tire Rack did offer to pay for the mounting/balancing, but it would take four trips at 13 miles each way (I live in the middle of nowhere) to get all the wheels and tires down there and back. It's a hassle, and then if the rims are scratched or the tires aren't mounted/balanced properly, it becomes a fingerpointing headache.

They definitely have some issues. They have the wheels in stock in one warehouse, and the tires in another. The customer service rep said there was no way for them to ship the wheels to the tires or the tires to the wheels. I asked if we could send the wheels/tires they sent me to the location where the tires are, and they said no.

So, I told them to send the packing material so I can send the wheels/tires back. I have to unpack/repack them.

Recommendations for other good tire shops are being accepted. Is there anywhere locally in Denver that doesn't want $250 for good 215/50R17 snows? That is the cheapest quote I got on Blizzaks or Dunlops around here.

Any other internet tire shops?
[/b]
I understand you've been through this but....
Call them back - ask to speak with someone in charge - do not negotiate with the rep on the phone - you want a supervisor. As noted, don't be touting an attitude when you explain your case. You simply got the the wrong stuff, you want to have the right stuff shipped and you don't want to do their job for them - you don't have time. The rep has you jumping through hoops and it should be the other way around. good Luck.

BTW, I've purchased with these guys before - they are usually excellent which leads me to beleive you are dealing with a noob or an idiot - go around him/her and get what you ordered.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My two cents: try to turn this into a positive. The cost of shipping for TR to send out new tires and take the bad ones back will be at least $200. The cost to take off and remount and balance the new tires probably at least another $100. The cost savings per tire $100 of the Michelins over the Dunlops. The cost of your time, dissatifaction, and hassle factor probably another $100. Tell them you will keep these and be satisfied if they knock $500 off the bill (i.e. credit you that amount back). You'll either save a bunch of dough or alternatively just sell them as is and probably make a buck or two (then reorder I guess).

Otherwise give them the alternative/ultimatum to go the full route of taking the tires back and straightening it out themselves.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Why would you need four trips? You can easily fit four wheels with tyres mounted in a 6, be it hatch, wagon, or sedan.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts