Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im looking to get new summer tires. i have always had all seasons but after this past winter i got a snow set and ill never look back. so now im back in the market for summer tires but i also dont wanna loose the treadwear of a all season (i kno cant have your cake and eat it too)

so im looking at something like the General Exclaim UHP which is a decent treadwear for s summer only (UTOG 380)

General Exclaim UHP

and then for all season im looking at the conti DWS (UTOG 540)

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

both have the same survey results on tire rack as far as dry handling and ish so whats really the difference?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
The UHPs are always well recieved. Even by plenty of the MS6 guys. But, I don't feel like they have the sidewalk strength for this car. You've got a nice suspension setup. Why cop out on rubber? Do you do alot of driving?
Nitto makes some cheap good summer tires with mild treadwear ratings. I ran NT555 for a while and they're a decent tire. I'll bet they're softer than the UHPs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've been doing some tire research as well... I've got a set of snow tires that I want to keep strictly for snow, so I've been looking for a good summer tire. I've looked at both the ones you're looking at, but I've also been interested in the Hankook Ventus V12. Car and Driver gave it some high marks in their budget tire test, and from what I've read on a lot of other sites, it's a pretty good performer for spirited street driving. I think it's got a pretty good combination of grip and good wear as well. Might be worth looking into. I think it's what I'm going to put on my ride pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I recommend the Dunlop Star Specs in my sig. They wear just fine if you can refrain from wheelspinning starts. I have the Gen UHPs on a Mazda6i and they're fine for commuting, but not even close to a real HP tire...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Skates, were you running the all seasons when you ran the 12.6? I bet an ultra-high performance would help your 60' time...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I got the ventus v12's, but they are still in my garage, so ill report back eventually... remember, that tread wear is going to effectively be the same, in terms of years/months as your only gonna be on your summer 6-8months out of the year.... Sumitumo HTR Z III also looked interesting to me...

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I got the ventus v12's, but they are still in my garage, so ill report back eventually... remember, that tread wear is going to effectively be the same, in terms of years/months as your only gonna be on your summer 6-8months out of the year.... Sumitumo HTR Z III also looked interesting to me...
I'm really enjoying the Sumitomo HTR Z III. jmhinkle recommended them and he loves them.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
If we're just going to go all out with recommendations here, the Nitto NT05 can't be beat. Best tire I've ever had on a car. But fuck do they wear fast.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've got the ventus v12's and have had them since labor day of last year. I bought them to have better rubber for a HPDE at VIR over my ultrahigh performance all seasons.

I like them, they did well at the track. They are quiet on the road as far as tread noise. They do have a rather stiff and loud side wall. The stiff sidewall is good for the track but on the street, you will hear and feel impacts more.

My all seasons, Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, are 225/40/18 and my Ventus V12's are 225/45/18 and to my suprise the Ventus have the rougher and louder ride over bumps even with the larger sidewalls.

But all and all I am happy with tires and would buy the again.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
I just had ventus v12's installed last week and I really like them so far (quiet and good handling). They were $119 each from Tire Rack. I found good reviews about it on this forum.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm i seem to hear alot of good stuff about the V12's. thanks for all the feedback ill keep searching

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went with Dunlop SP Sport Signatures because I wanted something with better wear than the Falken 452s I had on the summer before. I liked the 452s a lot, but blew through the tread because of my messed up alignment. The Dunlops are a decent tire. A little noisier, and not as grippy, but they have been pretty solid, and the wear is great so far on the 2nd summer. As a "high performance" all season it's pretty much what I expected. Not stellar performance, but great longevity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i got goodyear eagle gt's about a month ago. i'm in love with these tires. when i was looking the tire shops told me to steer away from the hankooks as they thought the goodyear was a better tire. probably not as responsive as the hankooks as they're an all season tire, but they grip like glue especially in the rain. i mean... these tires are absolute freaks in the rain. amazing. minimal noise also. bit more expensive at $140 but they'll help in those few months where you dont know if you should throw the winters on or not. i'm also from ohio and so is goodyear. this makes me happy

·
Registered
583 Posts
I went with Dunlop SP Sport Signatures because I wanted something with better wear than the Falken 452s I had on the summer before. I liked the 452s a lot, but blew through the tread because of my messed up alignment. The Dunlops are a decent tire. A little noisier, and not as grippy, but they have been pretty solid, and the wear is great so far on the 2nd summer. As a "high performance" all season it's pretty much what I expected. Not stellar performance, but great longevity.
I got the same tires on my OEM 18s for the winter, 225/40/18.
Pretty satisfied with them. Paid $125/tire at Just Tires.
Only thing is that they're a bit too wide for the 7" skinny stockers, a little chuck tore off the lip/edge near where the tire meets the rim b/c the tire doesn't fit flush with the wheel b/c it is too wide.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The UHPs are always well recieved. Even by plenty of the MS6 guys. But, I don't feel like they have the sidewalk strength for this car. You've got a nice suspension setup. Why cop out on rubber? Do you do alot of driving?
Nitto makes some cheap good summer tires with mild treadwear ratings. I ran NT555 for a while and they're a decent tire. I'll bet they're softer than the UHPs.
Heard a lot of commendations on the UHPs from a few MS6 guys but never ran them myself.

I recommend the Dunlop Star Specs in my sig. They wear just fine if you can refrain from wheelspinning starts.
Agreed. I ran 225/45/18 Star Specs before my Nitto setup and loved them. I'm going back with them after I finish my current tires out.

If we're just going to go all out with recommendations here, the Nitto NT05 can't be beat. Best tire I've ever had on a car. But fuck do they wear fast.
Definitely agree. Can't comment on the tread rating as I've only had them on for a few thousand miles, but I'm running 235/40/18 Nitto NT05's right now and have nothing but praise for them. And for a great price too - $154/tire for UHP Summer tires. Cheapest I've found in the class.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had Sumitomo HTRZIII's and they held up great. Recently I purchased a set of Dunlop Direzza D101's, despite the poor wet weather ratings.

So far, I'm not seeing any problem driving them in the rain - and believe me, I'm trying to find a problem.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
i got goodyear eagle gt's about a month ago. i'm in love with these tires. when i was looking the tire shops told me to steer away from the hankooks as they thought the goodyear was a better tire. probably not as responsive as the hankooks as they're an all season tire, but they grip like glue especially in the rain. i mean... these tires are absolute freaks in the rain. amazing. minimal noise also. bit more expensive at $140 but they'll help in those few months where you dont know if you should throw the winters on or not. i'm also from ohio and so is goodyear. this makes me happy
I have the similar Fierce Instinct ZRs (It's a Goodyear brand tire, Very similar tread pattern and similar ratings....and it's made in Ohio too. Go Bucks!)

I absolutely agree with you on wet traction. I thought the General Exclaims were good but these are even better.

They're a little noisy to me though. Not intolerably noisy, just more noticeable than the Potenza RE040s or Exclaim UHPs were.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts