Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the door sticker thing, and it says 32 for all 4 tires.
Does that sound right for the US?
My tires look a little flat (especially in the front).

Did I misread the label?
Or can't I correctly use the air compressor gauge at the gas station?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Reading Topic: Tire Pressure

ya i know, the tires do look slightly flat. i recently checked my pressure and it read between 31-33 psi for all the tires, as is recommended.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

I usually use 33psi

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Tire Pressure'

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'Tire Pressure'

Originally posted by SCORPION6

[/b]
Thanks for that sticker :D

Now, for a situation where I'd be driving about 30 miles/day with 1 passenger average weight, no load in trunck. Summer temperature, highway type driving.
How would I read the sticker? stay with 32psi?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

yep. I think 32psi
Or if you drive at high speed you can go a little highter psi.
With 32psi you have a little more contact but also more friction than 33
TOMAS. I think so

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Tire pressures are set by the factory to cover the load rating of the tire. Notice on the above sticker as the weight exceeds a certain limit they recommend that you increase the inflation pressure. The manufacturer of the tire will give the company a recommended range of pressures. Mazda then picks the pressure that it feels is the best compromise between the load rating and comfort.

If you want crisper handling and you're will to sacrifice a little ride comfort, up the pressure a few pounds at a time until you get the feel you like. I would not recommend dropping below the recommended pressure.

As an example, the Miata has a factory recommended pressure of 26 psi, which is fine for normal highway driving, but for twisty back roads most people up the pressure to 28-32 depending on the tire.

·
Registered
791 Posts

I haven't had to put air in my tires yet, but they're measuring 31 (and 31.1) in the rear and 33.1 (33.0) in the front. Pretty consistent from left to right, eh?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Reading Topic: Tire

Don't forget, tire pressure should be check when tires are cold. Not after you just drove your car.

Tire pressure increases with tire temperature, and tire temperature increases with car speed. And the relation is not linear neither, more like expodential. If you visit michelin.com they give an example that a tire going at 160 km/h and at 190 km/h there would be a 3 psi increase. So never put the maximun pressure rating if you are going to do excessive speed. Personaly I follow the recommended pressure which is 32 for the 6.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

If the car manufacturer and the tyre manufacturer recommend different pressures for the same load, always follow the car manufacturer's advice.

The tyre manufacturer sets his standards to minimize wear, while upholding performance.

Car manufacturers sets their standards to uphold stability and handling of the car. That's more important since it's a safety issue.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

If MPG is your goal, then higher pressure. Higher pressure will reduce the contact patch of the tire lowering rolling resistance.

But higher pressure will also increase the spring rate of the tire (yes, a tire is a spring) giving you a harsher ride.

Higher pressure reducing the conatct patch can also affect braking distance. Less tire contact with the road, longer braking distance.

Higher pressure can increase the handeling of the car. With higher pressure the tire will be less prone to roll over onto the sidewall during cornering, keeping more of contact path and increasing grip and turn-in responce.

It's a world of compromise.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Kellis, I wouldn't trust the guage at the gas station. You can get a decent digital model for $10-15.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts