Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Can anyone tell me please the correct pressure(range) for 245/35/20. My car is a Mazda 6 G145 fom 2014. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

"Correct" is variable.

- What temperatures do you typically drive the car in?
- What kind of driving do you do (mostly highway, mostly city, or both)?
- What are you looking to get out of your car (better MPGs, better performance)?

For example: I do 60/40 city/highway in temperatures that range from below freezing to above 100 degrees F. At 70 degrees F, I keep my tires around 39psi because it gives me great MPGs but doesn't affect handling too much. That also allows me to drive worry-free on those rare days that we see 100+ degrees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum!

"Correct" is variable.

- What temperatures do you typically drive the car in?
- What kind of driving do you do (mostly highway, mostly city, or both)?
- What are you looking to get out of your car (better MPGs, better performance)?

For example: I do 60/40 city/highway in temperatures that range from below freezing to above 100 degrees F. At 70 degrees F, I keep my tires around 39psi because it gives me great MPGs but doesn't affect handling too much. That also allows me to drive worry-free on those rare days that we see 100+ degrees.
For the OEM 17” and 19” the range is 33-46. I drive 70/30 highway/city, city mostly on bumpy roads. I used to inflate my 17” to 40/35 with/without load.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
For the OEM 17” and 19” the range is 33-46. I drive 70/30 highway/city, city mostly on bumpy roads. I used to inflate my 17” to 40/35 with/without load.
Like MadStyle said - you'll be good anywhere between 35 and 40. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, Can anyone tell me please the correct pressure(range) for 245/35/20. My car is a Mazda 6 G145 fom 2014. Thank you.
Tire size does not affect the tire pressure.

Look at the sticker in the driver's side door jamb and you'll see what the cold tire pressure is supposed to be.

Mazda recommends 33psi for all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tire size does not affect the tire pressure.

Look at the sticker in the driver's side door jamb and you'll see what the cold tire pressure is supposed to be.

Mazda recommends 33psi for all 4 wheels.

This is good information EXCEPT, you don't have the factory tires. Unless you have put on a significantly different "type" of tire, Mazda's recommendation is a good one.

Check your tires sidewall. It will list a "MAX" pressure. For average driving start with approx. 70-75% of the max pressure. Example - max pressure = 40, start with 30psi. Adjust accordingly to ride and environment. Always adjust when tires are cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is good information EXCEPT, you don't have the factory tires. Unless you have put on a significantly different "type" of tire, Mazda's recommendation is a good one.

Check your tires sidewall. It will list a "MAX" pressure. For average driving start with approx. 70-75% of the max pressure. Example - max pressure = 40, start with 30psi. Adjust accordingly to ride and environment. Always adjust when tires are cold.
So you honestly believe that the tire pressure sticker is ONLY for the stock tires?

Let me guess you look at the tire sidewall and see the max pressure of THE TIRE and assume that is how much air to put in the tires?

PSI is PSI, it's a consistent measurement, just like the atmospheric temperature. 80 degrees in Florida is the same as 80 degrees in Canada. 1 pound of feathers weighs the same a 1 pound of lead.

It does not matter what size tires he puts on his car the info on the sticker is still relevant because...... PHYSICS.

·
Registered
679 Posts
So you honestly believe that the tire pressure sticker is ONLY for the stock tires?

Let me guess you look at the tire sidewall and see the max pressure of THE TIRE and assume that is how much air to put in the tires?

PSI is PSI, it's a consistent measurement, just like the atmospheric temperature. 80 degrees in Florida is the same as 80 degrees in Canada. 1 pound of feathers weighs the same a 1 pound of lead.

It does not matter what size tires he puts on his car the info on the sticker is still relevant because...... PHYSICS.

It is for the tires that came with the car. If you change the tire and put on something that has a different rating then the "sticker" on the car is meaningless. Are you going to tell me that every tire has the same rating/capacity, should have the same air pressure? Hardly. 30psi in one tire may not be what is best for a different tire.

Went with a 10 ply tire on my truck when I replaced the tires. If I ran the tires at the pressure on the door tag the tires would be severely under inflated. You cannot assume all tires are rated the same.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
It is for the tires that came with the car. If you change the tire and put on something that has a different rating then the "sticker" on the car is meaningless. Are you going to tell me that every tire has the same rating/capacity, should have the same air pressure? Hardly. 30psi in one tire may not be what is best for a different tire.

Went with a 10 ply tire on my truck when I replaced the tires. If I ran the tires at the pressure on the door tag the tires would be severely under inflated. You cannot assume all tires are rated the same.
I'm with you.

While air pressure is always measured the same and means the same, not all tires are created equal and should be treated as such.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Is the thread starter running 10 ply tires on his Mazda 6?

Besides 10 ply tires are firmer therefore you can run lower pressures.

Clearly you haven't thought this through.....

In any case this an apples to apples comparison therefore the stock pressures should be adhered to.

I hate quoting stuff from the internet but here goes...

https://info.kaltire.com/the-right-tire-pressure-why-the-maximum-isnt-the-best/

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/recommended-tire-pressure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
idrive
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing