Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm planning on painting my brake calipers soon with my friend's help and my dad is going on about how "dangerous" it can get when I try to put the wheel back on because I wont tighten it enough and the wheels will fall off when I try to drive. I'm going to show this thread to him tonight, so can you guys tell him how STUPID he's being!?!?!

I have 2 axle stands and 2 jacks... I mean C'MON.

P.S. I even offered to have them tightened by a tire shop afterward, but he insisted that I pay them $500 to get the brake painted and the tire remounted instead of doing it myself...where's the fun in that!?

·
Registered
345 Posts
was he held back in elementary school?

seriously though for a DAD to say that doing this is dangerous because your wheel will come off while your driving it is rediculous.

I mean look up torque specs if he's really all that concerned and then instead of spending 500 dollars go out and buy a torque wrench and tighten them to spec.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The most dangerous thing is having the car in the air. Just make sure you have some sort of redundancy with how you support the car; do not really purely on jack stands. If you search the web you'll find disturbing reports of stands failing. I usually jack a floor jack until it just loads a car support somewhere as a backup to the stand/s...or if im getting under the car Ill slide the wheel rims under structural parts of the frame so if the car comes down ill probably live.

Also if you're going to be working on your own car a torque wrench is essential if you want to do the job right but dont think you need to spend $$$ on one.. I mean the more expensive types are nice but the beam type is nearly perfectly repeatable long term (assuming no abuse) and has higher accuracy than most of the multihundred dollar models.

edit: see comment below

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It serves no purpose and shows nothing, so I'm not going to insult your father. (I will suggest you show him respect and do the same ;-) )

That being said, there is nothing to be concerned about. Using either a torque wrench, breaker bar, or wrench from the trunk, just use common sense, tighten all nuts evenly, 'final' tighten the top one first, use a alternating star pattern and you'll be just fine. If you have concern, after you've driven a couple of days, put the wrench on them again just to make certain they're tight.

Reactions: Albertngoo

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Wait a minute....maybe the father has a legitimate reason to be concerned.

To the OP:
a) how old are you?
b) what was your academic average last year?
c) how much experience do you have working on cars?

To be honest, I can list about 35 people off the top of my head who I wouldn't EVER recommend to be within 10 feet of a wrench. Maybe his father is onto something...I mean, for you to even post up this tread is a little ridiculous.

EDIT: Jesus, you even named the thread "tire nuts". Fuck, this could get ugly...don't touch the car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
just looked at profile.. 16.... Whether someone can responsibly work on a car at 16 depends on the individual... his dad probably has a better sense then most lol

Seriously though you should, at a minimum, have someone experienced work with you. Somethings things will not be obvious in terms of safety... it also tends to make repairs like 5 times faster until you get the hang of it. I started working on my car sometime when I was 16....and I did things that I would never do now even though I thought I was being safe (I was way safer than a lot of people I knew though lol)...

·
Registered
345 Posts
But guys okay admittedly it would be something to be concerned about with the jack stands and what not. However this father is concered about his son's wheels falling off while he's driving....

For that I say remember the start pattern tighten evenly and if he's willing to spend 500 bucks on it then buy some nice torque wrenches. Yeah?

:wavey: kthxbai

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
But guys okay admittedly it would be something to be concerned about with the jack stands and what not. However this father is concered about his son's wheels falling off while he's driving....

For that I say remember the start pattern tighten evenly and if he's willing to spend 500 bucks on it then buy some nice torque wrenches. Yeah?

:wavey: kthxbai
This may work.....if the OP knows what a torque wrench is. :mellow:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hes willing to spend 500 bucks on getting the brakes painted and the tires remounted by some stupid body shop. I got him to agree to let me and my friend paint it, remount the tires, and then afterward get it super tightened by a tire shop

and egierda, stop being so judgmental and get over yourself. you're not helping

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
For the record, don't ever "super tighten" any lug nuts. Ever. Invite your Dad to participate, watch, comment. It might help to set his mind at ease. Or not. Who can really say. Be methodical when you jack and support the car. Make sure the wheels are blocked and the weight doesn't shift funny when you lower it onto the stands. Make sure the driveway beneath the jack and stands is level and will support the concentrated weight of the car in those places. Take your time. Google up some instructions concerning mounting wheels and tightening the lugs. Show it to your Dad, then do it right. Diplomacy goes a long way, and there's a lot to learn.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Um hi my name is "Ruin your car" And I love it when you super tighten your Nuts. Just sayin....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Unless you're skinny with no muscle whatsoever ... maybe a physical handicap, who knows, I'm not judging - you should not have a problem tightening the lug nuts. Make sure you do the star-pattern and you'll be fine. Also check that the wheel is flush with the hub. No need to spend $500.

I think over-tightening the lug nuts is more of a concern. I hate those shops that use the air tools, they crank up the son of a bitch making it so hard to remove them when the time comes. Also, those fast speed tools can easily strip your lug studs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks. I got him to agree to let me do it and afterward get it tightned by discount tire co. Soo... thanks :)

I'm gonna paint them with my buddies on wensday or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all new to the site and I have a question about my car. I have a 2005 mazda 6 wagon and the stock tire size is 215 50 17. I live in NY and am constantly battling potholes I seem to replace tires once a year because the side walls bubble. Does anyone know if I can use a bigger sidewall tire and what the size would be????? Thanks

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi all new to the site and I have a question about my car. I have a 2005 mazda 6 wagon and the stock tire size is 215 50 17. I live in NY and am constantly battling potholes I seem to replace tires once a year because the side walls bubble. Does anyone know if I can use a bigger sidewall tire and what the size would be????? Thanks
Check out the Wheels & Tires section.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/2029238-post1.html

·
Registered
345 Posts
thanks. I got him to agree to let me do it and afterward get it tightned by discount tire co. Soo... thanks :)

I'm gonna paint them with my buddies on wensday or so.

OKAY see the problem here is you ask us for advice right? We say you'll be fine with them being tightened by you, Do not take it to discount Tire Co. they use air powered shit to tighten the nuts. When it comes time to get them off again you'll run into the problem I had where I put so much pressure on them trying to get them off that I ended up stripping smooth the inside of my lug wrench. :eek::eek::eek:

I know right?!

But yeah you wanted advice and our advice was tighten them yourself to your strongest ability, not take them somewhere with air powered stuff where they think okay we'll just put these on here nice and snug cause next time he needs them removed he'll have to come to us. <_<

I'm really not trying to sound like an asshole on here cause I'm not meaning it in that way at all, I just think that you should seriously consider listening to people who have done this before, with no problems. Learn from our mistakes!:hammerhea: Thats what I'm trying to get across. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
and egierda, stop being so judgmental and get over yourself. you're not helping
Hmm, I think egierda actually brought up some excellent points in both of his posts.
The torque wrench jab was justified simply by the title of your thread.
You referred to lug nuts as tire nuts for christ's sake :p
Anyways, he was just providing some mostly constructive criticism, you shouldn't get so bent out of shape. :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
The consensus is that you should tighten the lug nuts yourself, not by a tire shop. That is the advice given by people who have done this many times on the same make of car that you drive - it's what this forum is for. If your father is so overbearing and overprotective ... and he's one of those types of people who HAS to have HIS way, then fine ... bring it to a shop but let your father pay for it for his peace of mind.

Reactions: Cameron23
1 - 20 of 26 Posts