Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello 6ies,

I live in Canada and I am in the market for some winter tires for my 2019 Mazda 6 GT. The stock size for the tires and wheels are P225/45R19 (19 inch wheels) front and rear.

Would installing a set of winter tires P225/55R17 (17 inch) be an issue for the car or should I stick with winter tires as the same spec as my stock tires? What kind of effects would it have on the car?

I have done some research and it said that it might affect handling, speedometer reading and it could potentially lower the ground clearance. Can you fellow owners help a noob out here?

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
175 Posts
There would be no real benefit to this- what you want for the snow is a skinnier tire and those 2 tires both have the same width.
As for the slight differences in the overall tire size, the speedometer error would be less than 1% and the ride height would be dropped about 3mm.
Your goal for the same ride height and speedometer reading is to have a diameter about 685mm (26.97").
My normal practice is to find the smallest rim/tire combo for the car which is usually on the lowest trim level.

Near perfect matches on paper would be a 205/55R18 or a 195/65R17- but I cannot tell you if these tires even exist or if rims for these would clear the brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There would be no real benefit to this- what you want for the snow is a skinnier tire and those 2 tires both have the same width.
As for the slight differences in the overall tire size, the speedometer error would be less than 1% and the ride height would be dropped about 3mm.
Your goal for the same ride height and speedometer reading is to have a diameter about 685mm (26.97").
My normal practice is to find the smallest rim/tire combo for the car which is usually on the lowest trim level.

Near perfect matches on paper would be a 205/55R18 or a 195/65R17- but I cannot tell you if these tires even exist or if rims for these would clear the brakes.
Thanks for the detailed answer! The lowest trim Mazda6 uses P225/55R17 as default rim/tire. I'm searching online and the shops always recommend using the same spec as default ones which I don't want :/ Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into it.

I run Toyo Observe G3-ICE 225/55R17. On my 2018, in Canada, with steel rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! I see that you have the GT as well. Are there any issues with TPMS or anything I need to note if I go with 225/55R17?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice! I see that you have the GT as well. Are there any issues with TPMS or anything I need to note if I go with 225/55R17?
I've got tpms in my winter tires. Absolutely not needed, but I just can't stand the warning light half of the year.

I got the tires, wheels and tpms from the dealer included in the deal when I bought the car, so I don't know the exact price of those sensors. And that size of tires was suggested by the dealer, which doesn't mean it's the best choice, but that's what I got. And since winter tires are mandatory where I live during the winter, most buyers deal their winter tires with the car.

You need to do a learning procedure when you swap the wheels. If it's like the 2nd gen, you only have to do the procedure the first time you pair a new set of sensors, but I don't know yet for the 3rd gen. My 2nd gen was able to remember 2 sets of sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Let me clarify a few things here:

1) It's ABSOLUTELY recommended to run thicker tires in winter than summer. Not just for snow/ice performance reasons, but potholes. A thicker sidewall will take a heck of a lot more beating than a thinner one. Trust me, I live in the land of them.

2) A perfect match for OEM tires (on 17 inch rims) would be 225/55/17. I'm running on 17x8" rims and just picked up some 235/55/17 tires that are going to fit just fine (they actually poke out and fill in the wheel well a little better, so it's nice and flush).

3) Like @dcoulombe said, the newest 3rd gens require TPMS, so it's your call if the extra $400 is worth removing that annoying light.

4) I've seen guys run as little as 16" on this car but I wouldn't recommend it because it's harder to find tires in a proper size and it doesn't look right with our big wheel wells.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
I purchased a set of 17" MSW rims with the stock 225/55 size (used) for my winter tire setup, and have had no problems with them.

You'll be fine running the stock 17" size, you're well within the 2-3% tolerance between that and the OEM 19" size.

You can also get away without buying the TPMS sensors, if you don't mind the little yellow light being on. It has NO effect on the stability control/ABS and other driver aids.

I've ran similar setups on my previous 6's as well (about 15 years), all with no issues...

·
Registered
750 Posts

1) It's ABSOLUTELY recommended to run thicker tires in winter than summer. Not just for snow/ice performance reasons, but potholes. A thicker sidewall will take a heck of a lot more beating than a thinner one. Trust me, I live in the land of them.
He meant skinnier as to cut through the ice, not a shorter/thinner sidewall. These days, thats not an issue as much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

2) A perfect match for OEM tires (on 17 inch rims) would be 225/55/17. I'm running on 17x8" rims and just picked up some 235/55/17 tires that are going to fit just fine (they actually poke out and fill in the wheel well a little better, so it's nice and flush).

3) Like @dcoulombe said, the newest 3rd gens require TPMS, so it's your call if the extra $400 is worth removing that annoying light.

4) I've seen guys run as little as 16" on this car but I wouldn't recommend it because it's harder to find tires in a proper size and it doesn't look right with our big wheel wells.
Thank for the answer! Yeah potholes here are like craters from Mars too. I always drive in fear with the 19" that's why I want to swap to 17". I am not too worried about TPMS if it's only a light, I was worried it will beep me every drive or something.

I purchased a set of 17" MSW rims with the stock 225/55 size (used) for my winter tire setup, and have had no problems with them.

You'll be fine running the stock 17" size, you're well within the 2-3% tolerance between that and the OEM 19" size.

You can also get away without buying the TPMS sensors, if you don't mind the little yellow light being on. It has NO effect on the stability control/ABS and other driver aids.

I've ran similar setups on my previous 6's as well (about 15 years), all with no issues...
Thanks! The answers I've been getting form you and others makes me feel better. I am just worried because every time I search online they are always saying to use the default sizes.

He meant skinnier as to cut through the ice, not a shorter/thinner sidewall. These days, thats not an issue as much.
That is good too know! I feel like I always see a lot of winter tires thick in width and a much smaller profile for good traction.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is exactly what I meant- a narrow tire of the same overall diameter.
Less likely to float atop the snow and more likely to dig down to solid pavement. On a smaller diameter rim would actually have more sidewall height to flex if needed for potholes and ice chunks.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
That is exactly what I meant- a narrow tire of the same overall diameter.
Less likely to float atop the snow and more likely to dig down to solid pavement. On a smaller diameter rim would actually have more sidewall height to flex if needed for potholes and ice chunks.
My bad - definitely took it as you saying going smaller rim diameter would be detrimental. XD

·
Registered
7 Posts

YOUR RIGHT,, THE SKINNIER THE BETTER

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2nd Gen with 18" summer wheels. For my winters I went with 16" (2 wheel sizes smaller) You will not regret having winter tires in the snow and ice.

Could you elaborate on using 16" rims. I have a mazda 6 2016 and I'm looking at buying 16" rims (16x6.5 45mm offset) through tirerack for a winter set of tires and I'm concerned about going -1" below factory OEM sizes. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Could you elaborate on using 16" rims. I have a mazda 6 2016 and I'm looking at buying 16" rims (16x6.5 45mm offset) through tirerack for a winter set of tires and I'm concerned about going -1" below factory OEM sizes. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry... I have a 2nd Gen 2009 and not sure if there are brake clearance issues or anything else with the 3rd Gen. Contact Tirerack, they have great customer service.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have OEM Mazda 16 X 7 steel wheels ready to go for my '17 Mazda6 Sport. For winter tires I will be going with 205/65 Nokian Tyre Hakkapeliitta (if memory serves, R3 winter tires) with a higher load rating than the OEM stock Yokohama's. The load rating is higher but the Hakka's have a lower speed rating.... but for me, that's fine. What is most important is load rating... i.e. the capability to withstand heat. Speed rating also figures-in with regards to heat - but speed rating is only important if you exceed the speed rating of the tire. I expect to have gnarly traction, as these are 20mm narrower than the summer tire arrangement of 225/55 - 17 (again, if memory serves). I did NOT want to go to 215's by way of width, as big, bulbous sidewalls (i.e. too wide for the rim-width) make for sloppy turn-in (which, of course, is not REALLY an issue on winter tires) but still...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sorry, I should say - I have OEM Mazda 16 X 6-1/2" wide steel wheels. The OEM alloys are 17 X 7. That is another reason why I went narrower.

I agree with Byakuya that the tire sizes available in 16" are fewer... and it is harder to either meet or exceed the load rating evident in the stock 19" size. BTW, the overall tire dia. of my set-up is well-nigh identical to my OEM summer alloy wheel set-up... and is identical, as well, to your GT - 19" alloy wheel / tire set-up.

D. Coulomb has probably an ideal set-up with his 17 X 7 steel rims - in that plentiful brands of tires are available. For my 16" wheels - NP re brake clearances. The Mazda rotors are smallish, in the grand scheme of things.

D. Coulomb's rim-photo attached... including Brand.
pjc7YEph.jpg
TE55lmWh.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
Cdn17Sport6MT
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing