Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Not sure if this is the right place, as I'm not sure how major the 2016 redesign was, and so whether I have a 3rd or 4th gen. Did some searching and there isn't a recent thread about tire advice/comparisons, so here's a new one.

Anyhow, I have a '16 sport that came with the yokahama ADVAN's. My driving style is a touch more spirited than average, and I picked a Mazda for the precise steering, contentedness to the road, and overall joy of driving it instead of power/speed.

I am looking to replace the stock tires, even though they only have 28k on them and measured at 5/32 last service, because they have started to slip occasionally when starting from a stop. And I am not one to gun it or burn rubber.

The tires I am looking at are the Michelin Premiers, Michelin Pilot Sport 3+, and the BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S. I know Michelin's are polarizing around here, but I really want good wet + dry traction and Michelin's have a reputation for maintaining that better through the life of the tire, plus my dad swears by the brand. I like the Premier except for the fact I have reservations about driving feel with a grand touring tire. For a HP tire, I'm leaning towards the BFG.

My priorities are:
  • good wet + dry traction/stopping distance
  • good ice traction for an all-season tire - my area gets 2-4 winter storms a year, which due to the climate, 99% of the time come with or turn into ice...
  • keeping the responsive, precise steering feel, and not turning my baby into an accord or a camry (which is primarily a concern I have about the Michelin Premiers)
  • good tread wear - I really want tires that will last longer than the stock tires have, wand want to be able to spend the money on them every 5-7 years instead of the 3 the OEM tires lasted.
  • Preferably available at Costco, which caries Michelin's, Bridgestones, and BFG, but open to other brands if they are truly superior
  • don't have an unlimited budget, but am willing to pay for better performance and longevity
So, that said, what have your experiences been with tires? or what would you go with? (especially if you have a '16 or newer)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I dont know how they compare to any other tire, but my 6 loved the Nexen 5000 series, but not the CP65's. The tire doesnt matter across the years of car you put it on, more of the driving and road conditions in your area.
For my 3, my buddy who runs a tire store said for my aggressive driving id like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, thanks! that makes sense. Those conti's have a good rep around here, and are are the top of my list to investegate if I decide to look beyond what I can get at the good costco prices.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The Comp2/AS tires are great UNTIL they get worn -- then they get loud and slick.

Ran a set into the ground... on this car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tickerguy, I have seen complaints about that in the reviews here and on TR. At about what tread depth did they start loosing grip for you? Unfortunately, a lot of performance tires seem to before 4/32nds, based on what I've been reading. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After some further research, the Michelin Premiers are out because of too many reports of premature treadwear/performance degradation issues, and many of the same reviewers reporting trouble claiming the warranty.

I like the look of the conti extremecontacts that get rave reviews here, and may spring for those, but would love to hear more of you all's experiences with the Pilot Sport 3+ or g-Force COMP-2 A/S.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
tickerguy, I have seen complaints about that in the reviews here and on TR. At about what tread depth did they start loosing grip for you? Unfortunately, a lot of performance tires seem to before 4/32nds, based on what I've been reading. :(
When they get into the 5-6/32nds depth area they start getting annoying all the way around. I ran them to right near the 4/32 area at which point I'd had enough. This is very common among all tires, however, not just performance tires. It's VERY tough to find anything that will return consistent performance all the way through the treadlife.

I loved them when they were new -- both wet and dry traction were exceptional when first mounted, and their treadlife was about what I expected overall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those pirellis look good GWL, but US Costco only seems to cary michelin, BFG and bridgestone.

Thanks for the info tickerguy, I had a suspicion that 5/32 was where most of them seem to stop performing well. I just hadn't experienced that before though, as in college I drove a clunker with cheap long tread-wear tires that started cracking before they wore that much. lol

Think I'm just going to go with the g-force, Costco's running a today only sale that makes them $450 installed. At that price I won't be too terribly upset if I end up replacing them at 5/32.

·
Super Moderator
16,875 Posts
Good luck in your tire search - I've had excellent luck with my Falkens so far and I'm on my 2nd set. I remember ticker talking about the premature wear on his like he was describing. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either Mich or BFG.

On another note: most of us here drive extra spirited and bought our cars for the exact same reasons you did - Mazda makes driving FUN.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Good luck in your tire search - I've had excellent luck with my Falkens so far and I'm on my 2nd set. I remember ticker talking about the premature wear on his like he was describing. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either Mich or BFG.

On another note: most of us here drive extra spirited and bought our cars for the exact same reasons you did - Mazda makes driving FUN.
I loved the Zeiks i had on my Talon, man they gripped hard. Didnt like the wandering though lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay, good to know! Next time I may do some further research into the more obscure brands like Falken. Ordered the BFG's, at that price won't be too upset if I end up replacing at 5/32, and I want to get some new tires before we get any winter storms, as I'm pretty sure the winter traction is gone on my old tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts