Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am about to install headrest monitors in my Mazda 6 and am wondering if anyone can give me some tips,how do I go about feeding the wire down through the seat?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Will take a picture when I am done, went with some 9" wides, I love the bulkier headrest it came with, looks better than the sleek ones that came with the 6.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Will take a picture when I am done, went with some 9" wides, I love the bulkier headrest it came with, looks better than the sleek ones that came with the 6.
[/b]

well???!! where the hell are the pix?!! my tr4 has headrest monitors but it was done at a shop. this time, if i decide to get some for the m6, i'd like to do it myself. so, any tips or pix you want to share?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't got around to it yet, they are in but not hooked up yet, I plan to do this in the next few days here finally so I will take pictures and post them.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
get a picture of them uninstalled idc, just want to see how u accomplished it. Did you cut the headrest your self or did someone do it for you? How did you go of making it a clean cut if you did do it your self? pics!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I bought them pre-made, don't have time anymore to do it myself, got kids now so time is limited!

I have them in place and ran the wire down the back of the seat, unclipped the seat backing to get access to the wire (man those are buggers, especially the passenger side because it has no pocket that you can use for leverage!!!). For the drivers side it's easy to unclip the flap because you can stick you one hand in the pocket and push down while your other hand can push up on the clip, for the passenger its alot harder because there is really no way to get a good grip to push down, I tried using pliers with cloth to protect the leather but still had a hard time, finally got it after some battling. Will start the rest tomorrow, it's getting late.

I don't see a easy way to run the wire from the back to under the console and be completely hidden. Will probably just have it exposed with enough slack to allow for moving the seat and not tugging the wire. Anyone have a better idea for getting the wire from the back/bottom of the seat to under the console completely hidden?

I am going to wire everything in the console area as there is alot of room to work with under there, I am adding a Video Amplifier to split my signal to the 2 monitors. I have the AudioLink iPod kit with the Video connector so I am running the video out to the Vid Amp to split it to the 2 monitors. So I will have movies on the iPod to play on the monitors (NO DVDS, NO SCRATCHED DISCS!! YEAH!!!), I am going to get an extension cable for the Audiolink also so I can pass the iPod back to my kids so they can play games using it as the controller.

Here's a link for the extension cable:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...roduct_Id=62718

So Audio will be through the Car system, no audio out of the monitors for now, if the movie audio annoys me I will just Fade sound to the back.

At the same time I am installing my Sirius Sat Radio, I bought a Panavise bracket for a nice mounting location, I am going to hardwire it and I haven't decided where I am mounting the antenna yet, I am using the Audio in connector included on the Audiolink cable (not sure how that's going to work out yet).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I am going to post some pictures later just have a question, I am getting some noise in my monitors signal, could this be from a bad grounding point?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are the Pics!!

At first I thought the headrests were way too big but I kinda like the more bulky look!

Here is a pic where I unclipped the seats at the bottom to get to the wire:

Here is an awesome mounting location for my Video Amp/Splitter!

Here is my quick and easy power connection, I didn't know the 6 had the tiny wierd fuses I have never seen with short forks but this does work, it's a little loose so I may tape it just to hold it a little better. this is called an "Add-A-Circuit" good up to 10 amps, so I used it in the rear wiper fuse location, quite slick and easy.

Here is my quick and dirty grounding point for both monitors and my vid amp (it's on the bracket for the e-brake), I think this may be causing the noise I am getting in my video image, any better spot or something to make this better?

Here is a pic of my panavise mounting bracket where my Sirius Sat Radio is going to go, I am going to hardwire it and will take pics of this also later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am actually going to use my new iPod 80gb, via the AudioLink connector to play movies, that way I don't have to deal with discs and skipping etc, my kids are not nice to discs and they were always skipping when I had a DVD. I will take a pic of the ipod setup as well soon.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mobile DVD players these days don't skip. But you have a cool idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They do skip when you kids mangle every spot on the disc or touch them with their sticky hands, and spill juice on them!! ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
My wife took her pill tonight. I'm OK for now.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That looks really cool. Remember when headrest monitors were pretty much the most pimped out thing you could do to a car? Now it's no big deal :D I've got custom leather, so I'm sure I couldn't find a headrest that matches perfectly. Can anyone comment on how to install monitors into the stock headrests?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Um...it's takes some skill to mod the stock headrests. I think it consists of something similar to this:

Remove the leather/cloth cover, cut the foam out of the headrest for the screen. Fit the screen and build a bracket to house it (sometimes you can buy premade) Glue the bracket and screen in place. Drill a hole and run the wire down the metal pole (I don't believe ours are hollow either). Wire it all up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
from ebay, not sure about the quality yet, I have a satisfaction guarantee though so I will see. they seem a little dull, but there is a setting I can tweak on the Vid amp, also I need to figure out why I am getting noise in the image.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts