Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so.. I never washed my car by hand, always through touchless washes.. but they suck... plus this is my new car and it's black. I want to keep it looking nice and shiny

Here is a list of supplies that I will be getting as well as my steps that I assume is correct, please let me know if I am missing anything or if anything is out of place.

Also, pressure washer vs garden hose? I do not have a pressure washer and not sure if it is worth it to invest in one.

Supplies:

Rain-X Trigger
Windshield Cleaner
Simoniz® 3-Stage Telescopic Brush
Simoniz Microfibre Premium Wash Mitt, 3-pack
Simoniz Wash Bucket
Simoniz Microfibre Wax Applicator Pads, 3-pk
Simoniz Microfibre Towels, 25-pk
Simoniz® Wheel & Fender Brush
Turtle Wax Black Detailer
Meguiar's Headlight Protectant
Mothers® Protectant
Emzone OdorStop Ventilation System Treatment, 156g
Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel
Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
Turtle Wax® 'Zip Wax' Car Wash
Meguiar's DA Power System
Scotchguard Upholstery Protector
Armor All 1.5 Gallon Car Vac
Simple Green Cleaner & Degreaser, 946ml
Mothers Pure Polish - Step 1
Mothers Micro-Polishing Glaze - Step 2
Mothers Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax - Step 3
Mothers® Clay Bar System
Autoglym Car Glass Polish
My own take on how to wash a car:

Wheels first
1. Presoak wheels with Simple Green Cleaner & Degreaser
2. Rinse with water
3. Put microfiber cloth in soapy water (Turtle wax car wash) & clean wheels
4. Use brush to clean wheel wheels
5. Repeat if needed
Paint & Trim
1. Rinse
2. Spray bumper/target problems with Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
3. Dip microfiber cloth into soapy water (Turtle wax car wash solution) & wash
4. Rinse and repeat
Claybar
Clay whole car while car is wet.

Polish & Wax

1. Polish using Meguiar's DA Power System
2. Use Mothers Pure Polish - Step 1
3. Use Mothers Micro-Polishing Glaze - Step 2
4. Use Mothers Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax - Step 3
5. Dry using Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel
Glass
1. Use Autoglym Car Glass Polish on all glass
2. Apply Rain-X to windshield
Interior
1. Vacuum all debris
2. Take out carpet/rubber liners and vacuum
3. Spray carpet/rubber with Simple Green Cleaner & Degreaser
4. Spray Scotchguard Upholstery Protector on cloth seats
5. Use Mothers® Protectant to protect from UV rays and stains
Headlights & Taillights
Since I already have my headlights & taillights cleaned and polished, I will use Meguiar's Headlight Protectant to protect it
Finally I will use Turtle Wax Black Detailer in between washes to keep it nice and clean

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
I always do wheels last. Thats just me.

Aquapel is supposed to be much better than rain-x so i suggest trying that.

You do not want to clay with water left on the car from a wash. Totally dry the car & use a quick detailer for a lubricant with the clay.

If you have never used a DA polisher before i suggest doing some reading on how to properly work the paint with it. Autogeek has some awesome write ups in their how to section.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Only do wheels 1st if you are using a 2 or 3 bucket method.

Bucket 1 = Car soap
Bucket 2 = Clean water (for rinsing sponge/mitt)
Bucket 3 = water+soap (for wheels)

Use bucket 3 only for wheels.
Washing car: Dip sponge/washing mitt in Bucket 1 and clean car. Before dipping back into Bucket 1 for more soap, Rinse in Bucket 2. Then dip into Bucket 1 for more soap. You also want to have grit guards in the buckets to collect any debris and prevent scratching the car.

And as mentioned above: Claybar with detailing spray, not water.

I just do wheels last, because i just use 1 bucket.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
i only just recently started using more than one bucket. used to wash the wheels last but i just got fed up with watching shit splash on my freshly washed and dried body panels.

if you wash the wheels last, you don't dry the car 1st duh.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used Duragloss Total Performance Polish and Duragloss "adhesion promoter" (don't remember the name) with Duragloss Spray Wax along with Mothers clay bar on the wife's CX-5 and the car was so slick, the decal for her back glass would not stick. I also used Mothers glass polish with the polishing pad from a 3M headlight restoration kit and my drill and it did wonders on the glass. My car will be next as soon as I get time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The second day I had my 6, I stripped the dealer's carnuba wax and started from the ground up. I used the following:

Meguiar's Gold Class wash
Meguiar's Clay Bar
Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer (for touch-ups during waxing)
Meguiar's Ultimate Wax

I am very impressed so far with the shine on my black 6. I used Meguiar's when I had my 2004 G35 Coupe (that I daily drove) and it kept the pain in good shape.

My car now does not get too dirty, so I don't do the two buckets. Just one with the grate at the bottom.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
i never get spots...i clean and rinse the wheels in time before the car gets air dried...and if areas do get dry...you just rinse the car with water to keep it wet as you are going.

Reactions: RCA1186

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I use all Meguiars products.

1. I spray the car with a foam soap sprayer. To help break up the dirt and remove any sand on the surface.

2. I rinse the whole car. Make my bucket of water and soap.

3. Wash car.

4. Wash my steelies.

5. Rinse whole car.

6. Drive car around my street to dry car and tires.

7. Take chamois and wipe car down. This gets rid of any spots that formed in the hot Florida sun.

8. Tire shine.

9. Put car in garage. Wait 15 mins for paint surface to cool.

10. Use Meguiars dual action buffer to apply wax.

11. Hand buff.

Ill wash my car 2 times a month. But I only wax it 1 time per month. Some say it's to much but I do it anyway. I love the way wax feels on the paint surface. I receive many compliments on how clean I keep my car. I also detail cars on the side so I try to keep my car as clean as possible so people will hire me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
That all sounds good, but driving your car around will put dust and grit right back on your paint. I used to do that for simplicity but I soon learned the error in my ways. It only takes a few minutes to dry wheels and tires. You would be better off to use an air compressor or a yard blower to dry them opposed to driving around. Also, you didn't mention a clay bar...you should really try it. I know you like Meguiars but Mothers has a better clay bar and quick detailer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buy one of those drying blades to get the majority of the water off instead of driving the car. You're likely scratching the paint with the dust and dirt you're putting back on the car during the drive with waxing afterwards.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a California Duster water blade (all silicone) and it works great. I just keep spraying the car as I wash then just before drying, I remove the nozzle and kink the hose a little to limit flow and splashing and this helps form larger water beads that run off so drying is usually a snap...so using the blade is usually reserved to the roof and hood.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I only drive it to dry the wheels. Not even that far. Then I use a chamois to dry it.

And I do clay bar. Just not everytime I wash it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
3 bucket method with grit guard. I wash the wheels first. I use Chemical Guys products and it works great for me.

I keep my car waxed so I don't use a water blade or anything like that. Use the water hose and sheet the water off the car. A couple quick and gentle wipes should take care of any standing water that's left after the sheeting process.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts