Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, Honda tech here. Wait, what the heck am I doing here???? Well, my fiancé has a 2010 Maz 6 3.7L that he loves very much, and the dang timing cover is leaking. I've seen a lot of videos for Maz 3 covers and one for an older Maz 6, but not much for this one.

My fellow mechanics, do you actually have to pull the engine to access this timing cover??? Or can you slip it out with the engine in situ????

I just wanna know what I'm getting myself into here before I agree to fix this leaker. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am doing the Water Pump / Timing chain on my 2009 Mazda 6 S. You can remove the cover but it is a huge pain... Ive seen videos of people doing it on CX9s and whatever and they didnt even mention it being difficult to remove so I did mine in situ. Maybe I was not doing something the same way but I found it really time consuming but it is doable. I ended up sanding off like 1mm so that I could get some clearance from the wheel well. I will be taking my timing cover off again for the 3rd time tonight and will try to snap some helpful pics. I successfully changed water pump and timing set but there is an unknown chirping that I cant seem to locate. I think somehow the timing chain tensioner oil passage became blocked when I put it back together the 1st time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this job and I found I had to drop the subframe and the engine. If you lower engine about 8 inches you can slide it over enough to take cover off. It's a huge job....don't need a lift but you do need a hoist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts