Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Same question here and from what I've read, there are symptoms that will tell you that you need to replace it. I can't remember what are those, unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
General rule of thumb for timing chains - don't touch them if they're working fine. 180k miles here and haven't had to even think about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep its not a timing belt, chains are meant to last longgg and only be replaced when they fail, not in interveals

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That said, simplex chains strike me as "light". My Moto Guzzi motorcycle has the same duplex chain as one of the ranges of Mercedes V8's, but for the number of links. I think the Mazda chain is simplex 🙁.

If you get to the point where the chain needs replacing, be sure to change all sprockets and guides and rollers too... especially the sprockets. They wear too... and nothing will do-in a new chain faster than a worn, hooked sprocket.

·
Registered
20 Posts
never hed of issues with timing chain on skyactiv, guess mazda made it robust enough knowing the it needs to drive the high pressure injection pump. Unlike the DiSI 2.3 MPS which does have chain stretch issues.

otherwise good oil and keep to oil.change intervals

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 2.2 D 175k miles, just had it checked because of a rattle and been told it is well within spec, rattle turned out to be alternator related, easy fix, happy days

1 - 11 of 11 Posts