Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The base engine is an all-aluminum 2.3-liter L4 with DOHC distribution driven by a chain-link belt"-Daniel Herauds MSN 2003 Auto Review

Correct if i'm wrong but...Does he mean that the Mazda6i has a timiing chain belt for the 4-cyl. engines?? If its true than thats awesome and that means less money to spend for maintenance :D i could be wrong though..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Timing Chain??

Both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder use timing chains. These chains are pretty much service free and should last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Timing Chain??'

Really?
It looks like a belt to me when I looked under the hook of my car. :sarc not that I'm complaining about it.. hehe... personally, I like the chain better.. no maintanence. :p

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by ndy4eva
Really?
It looks like a belt to me when I looked under the hook of my car.  :sarc   not that I'm complaining about it.. hehe...  personally, I like the chain better..  no maintanence. :p[/b]
You can't see the timing chain by looking at the outside of the engine. What you're seeing is the serpentine belt that drives things like the alternator, water pump and power steering pump.

The timing chain is internal and regulates when the intake & exhuast valves open and shut in relation to piston movement & ignition.

On the V6, if you take the oil filler cap off, you can plainly see the chain right there.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus
You can't see the timing chain by looking at the outside of the engine.  What you're seeing is the serpentine belt that drives things like the alternator, water pump and power steering pump.

The timing chain is internal and regulates when the intake & exhuast valves open and shut in relation to piston movement & ignition.

On the V6, if you take the oil filler cap off, you can plainly see the chain right there.[/b]
Yeah, what Ruefus said. Nice and oily!

·
Registered
498 Posts

Why would so many cars use a belt if a chain is better (is it?) and requires less maintenance?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by SDSilver6

Why would so many cars use a belt if a chain is better (is it?) and requires less maintenance?[/b]
Because it's more expensive to produce, and becuase less maintenance means less income over time for the dealer/agent/factory.

Easy math.

However, if the chain DO get broken, then you're in for some serious repairs...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Mostly it's due to weight and noise. Up until a couple of years ago, chains weighed more than they do now, and also added noise into the system. With advances in materials, they are now able to make a chain that is lighter and quieter than previous generations.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

However, if the chain DO get broken, then you're in for some serious repairs...[/b]
Wouldn't you have the same problem if you had a timing belt and it broke?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Also don't forget some vehicles use a belt because some of them have water pumps within the timing cover, Isuzus and many GM 4-cylinder and small V6s have their water pumps driven by the timing belt.

Can't say I've ever seen a water pump driven by a timing chain :p

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Originally posted by SDSilver6

Originally posted by Steve 6er

However, if the chain DO get broken, then you're in for some serious repairs...[/b]
Wouldn't you have the same problem if you had a timing belt and it broke?[/b][/quote]

Yup, don't see many non-interference motors. Most of them start bending the valves when the belt or chain breaks.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It didn't come out the way I meant it to... I mean, if you have to SWAP the chain, that's much more expensive than swapping the belt.

If they break...scheeesh...don't even think about it. That's the end of your engine...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

My 240sx has a Timing Chain belt and still hasn't been changed since then. My odometer reads out 117K. Thats what i love about them timing chain..also with less maintenance to deal with in the future. I hope it does the same for my Mazda6..:D

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Timing Chain??

My last car was a Dodge Interpid with a damn interference motor. Twice the belt busted and cost me 350+ dollars in repairs. But mostly waterpump related and luckily didn't turn out to really hurt the motor.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

I blew the belt on my Dodge Stratus at 115,000 miles. Not too bad considering it was only rated to 80,000 miles ;-) Just glad it didn't screw the engine over.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

There are two types of engines in reference to a timing belt - interference and non-interference. Non-interference engines will not be damaged if your timing belt breaks. Those with interference engines may not be so lucky. Sounds like your Stratus is a non-interference engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts