Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mazda service center told me over the phone today that the car needs a new timing belt because they are known to break and cause damage after 100k miles. It should cost $900-1,200.

However, everything I find on the internet is telling me that the car has a timing chain and not a belt. This chain is A LOT cheaper than the $1k I was priced at for the belt.

What gives?

2005 Mazda 6 3.0 DOHC

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think its a chain and theres 2 of them, $1k is with labor, parts are cheap, but you got to put it on your self to really save the money.

·
Registered
206 Posts
These motors use a chain, and do not need to be replaced unless they break. The only belts you can see are the Serpentine belt and the Water pump belt.

Ive never heard of the chains breaking, but have heard of the chain guides, and the hydraulic tensioners can stop working, but i haven't seen that much

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
These motors use a chain, and do not need to be replaced unless they break. The only belts you can see are the Serpentine belt and the Water pump belt.

Ive never heard of the chains breaking, but have heard of the chain guides, and the hydraulic tensioners can stop working, but i haven't seen that much
this, our motors are non-interference motors and have no real risks even in the event of failure.

I think its a chain and theres 2 of them, $1k is with labor, parts are cheap, but you got to put it on your self to really save the money.
there are 2 timing CHAINS and they do not need to be replaced unless a tensioner goes out or the chain itself snaps. the first one is a rare occurrence, the 2nd I have yet to see happen.

If it breaks you lose the motor.
this is 1000% false

whatever they are offering you.... you don't want. if they don't have a clue what they are serving, then you def don't want them tinkering with your car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The timing chains are "life of engine" components. If they do break, the valves will not hit the pistons so no catastrophic failure.
Sounds like you need a new mechanic.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ever heard of a 0 tolerance motor? I thought that all the motors that mazda made were 0 tolerance motors because all the specifications are as close as possible, I have seen no interference motors, belt, break and they jumped time and pistons have slapped the valves. And ive seen it the other way a 0 tolerance motor timing belt got fried at 40mph and it didnt sound to good, but not knowing I put a new belt and water pump on there, and it fired right up to the shock of my mechanic buddy. you just never know what will really happen if it breaks, and im not trying to spread false info, if a timing chain brakes it's bad mo jo, why else would it be a chain? And sorry if you think im fail, im just try to help

·
Registered
206 Posts
ever heard of a 0 tolerance motor? I thought that all the motors that mazda made were 0 tolerance motors because all the specifications are as close as possible, I have seen no interference motors, belt, break and they jumped time and pistons have slapped the valves. And ive seen it the other way a 0 tolerance motor timing belt got fried at 40mph and it didnt sound to good, but not knowing I put a new belt and water pump on there, and it fired right up to the shock of my mechanic buddy. you just never know what will really happen if it breaks, and im not trying to spread false info, if a timing chain brakes it's bad mo jo, why else would it be a chain? And sorry if you think im fail, im just try to help
Correct they are chains, but they ARE non interference motors which means in the event a chain should break or tensioner go bad, the pistons wont hit the valves, think of it as a fail safe. The damage from a chain break is if it falls into the oil pan and contacts the crank which is slim to none... but @ flipper, any internal failure if the motor poses SOME risk of damage

ever heard of the Cam phaser problem on the 5.4 3v motor in the F150's? If they go bad the motor may become out of timing..replace the phaser and no damage done

·
Registered
21 Posts
this is good to hear because we took it to a car shop and they said the timming chain broke pretty sure we can save a lot of money by fixing it ourselves didnt want to hae to replace the motor and looks like i wont have to!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Key word here- Dealership.
MOST (not all) people you talk to at a dealership don't know what they are talking about outside of the narrow scope of what they are trained to do. Find a good mechanic that specializes in Japanese/imports. I'm lucky enough to have one that I've been going to for 10+ years.

I guess you've figured it out by now and/or have moved on to another vehicle. What did you end up doing?

For those who have just stumbled on this like me, you've read that it's a chain and it should be good for the life of the engine. I put 250,000 miles on a '93 Sentra with a chain.

Unless you are an experienced mechanic with a bitchin set of tools, I wouldnt even attempt to do it myself. See link: http://www.aa1car.com/library/mazda_ford_timing_chain_replace.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Folks, I’m beyond late to this party but always good to add something more for the next owner. My 05 6S just turned 290k on the original equipment and I’m finally pulling the motor to do the clutch, alternator, PS pump and timing. Might as well with the motor out. In my opinion one of the easier motors to pull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts