Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed a ticking noise occur on my way home from work. I figured it was a exhaust leak but I figured that I'd stop and put a few quarts of fresh oil in just to check and see if that would quiet it down($25). It didn't so I investigated a little further and finally decided I'd just take it in to the dealer for service and tune up($595).The mechanic called me later in the day today and said "It is the sound of a rod knocking, so take your car home with proof of service, bring it back to me on the 2nd of January and I'll go ahead and put another motor in there for you under warranty!" Priceless! :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Ticking and knocking aren't the same sound in my book... Though you can't argue with a new engine! Could just be the HLAs?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really was a ticking, I know what a rod nocking sounds like aswell, my Chevy did the same thing and there is a deffinate ticking. Thats why I say i thaught it was the exhaust! But the new motor, like you said, can't argue with that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My wifes 06 5-door in the mornings makes a ticking noise. Once the engine has warmed up it goes away.
Ive brought it to the dealer 2x and they say they cant reproduce the problem. Ive even let them keep it for 3 days and still no tick(according to them). I got it on my camcorder and plan on bringing it to the dealer. I think its a tensioner. I know its not an HLA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yesterday I noticed a ticking noise occur on my way home from work. I figured it was a exhaust leak but I figured that I'd stop and put a few quarts of fresh oil in just to check and see if that would quiet it down($25). It didn't so I investigated a little further and finally decided I'd just take it in to the dealer for service and tune up($595).The mechanic called me later in the day today and said "It is the sound of a rod knocking, so take your car home with proof of service, bring it back to me on the 2nd of January and I'll go ahead and put another motor in there for you under warranty!" Priceless! :)
[/b]
I had that in november, provided proof of service since i'm around 35k miles now, they opened up the engine and determined that the valves were not aligned right and the cam timing was off. this started happening about 2months after i had just had my 'major' 30k service, after they verified my service records they put an order in for a new engine. all i had to pay for was having them rotate my tires at my request...even the rental car was paid for by them.(tyrone mazda, st. pete.) it was a ticking...not a knock. though on their final report they wrote knock. it only happened under light accel. or at shifts

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,568 Posts
When I start my 6i and it's cold, it makes this chirping like noise. The noise is coming from the right front side under the hood, somewhere around the right front tire. I think personally it's the serpentine belt. It happens pretty much on every startup, even when I've driven it previously to work and come out and start it up after it has sat for about 4 hours.

I plan to bring it up to the dealer when I take the car to them on Monday for service.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the new motor in and the car runs great. I've been driving at all speeds and rpms so i can break it in properly. I'm totally stoked with how smooth the service went and how fast I got my car back. But getting the new motor at 25k isn't going to stop me from modding. I got some plans for this car.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,568 Posts
Got the new motor in and the car runs great. I've been driving at all speeds and rpms so i can break it in properly. I'm totally stoked with how smooth the service went and how fast I got my car back. But getting the new motor at 25k isn't going to stop me from modding. I got some plans for this car.[/b]
You have 25k already on a 2006? Wow, you do drive alot...

My engine makes this weird noise on the right side by the right front wheel when it's started. It's also like a metallic scraping sound. I asked the dealer about it today, but they couldn't find it. Of course, it was in the 60s this morning when they started the car, so that's not exactly cold enough to hear it... :sarc:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had the same kind of ticking, but it's really random. I can't reproduce it. I've let it be and haven't known any performance issues. Have any of you noticed performance losses?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts