Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct section to ask, but I have a problem and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas.

With the car in gear (auto trans), there is a ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine bay. Not sure if this is where the problem is actually at, but this is where the noise comes from. If I put the car in neutral, the noise stops. The noise happens in reverse, drive, and manual shift selections. I believe it happens in park too, but not as much.

I have taking the car to the dealer 2 times now, and they claim everything is ok. The suggested putting higher octane fuel in for a while, to see if it helps... it didn't.

I then got an oil change, engine flush and transmission flush, but the noise is still there.

There does not seem to be any problems with shifting, or normal driving. No dash lights, etc...

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct section to ask, but I have a problem and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas.

With the car in gear (auto trans), there is a ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine bay. Not sure if this is where the problem is actually at, but this is where the noise comes from. If I put the car in neutral, the noise stops. The noise happens in reverse, drive, and manual shift selections. I believe it happens in park too, but not as much.

I have taking the car to the dealer 2 times now, and they claim everything is ok. The suggested putting higher octane fuel in for a while, to see if it helps... it didn't.

I then got an oil change, engine flush and transmission flush, but the noise is still there.

There does not seem to be any problems with shifting, or normal driving. No dash lights, etc...

Any ideas? Thanks.
[/b]
I have a 6i ATX and I had a ticking soung in most cases when gear changes and when put to a gear. It was a bad engine mount. When you open the hood(reference), it's the one on the top left. Dealer replaced it. No more tick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot guys, I'll be talking to the dealer again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I occasionally get a LOUD ball bearing in the coffee can rattle tick. Its very noticeable in the 'steep' driveway(makes me wonder where the oil pump pickup is). Once in a while I'll hear the sound echo of the drive thru's brick wall on a level surface. The noise is not 'recreatable'. It just happens when it does(usually in drive or reverse(engine loaded) and never in park or neutral).
Everything checked out OK: oil ATF coolant PSF levels all perfect, maintenance intervals excellent, engine idle good, idler pully bearings perfect(but IMO a suspect), A/C quiet, no other hidden sounds can be picked up with stethoscope........

I worry about sounds of 'impending doom'. But, if anything happens, warranty will fix it. 2003 6i will be traded in when warranty expires completely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to clarify. You hear these noises when in gear. Do you hear them when you are idling or when you are driving?

I put a CAI in my car and noticed shortly after, that same ticking noise when idling when the engine is warm. It drives fine though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts