Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that tint laws have more to do with keeping cops safe than with keeping the driver from choosing stupidly dark tint where he/she can't see out at night. Although one can notice some common sense because in the southern states the tint can generally be darker.

Question at hand. In Texas 25% all around are legal (perhaps even darker for rear window). So what if my tint is perfectly legal in Texas but I take a road trip to California where the front needs to be much lighter (70% or so) and the rear needs to be lighter, too. Will they pull you over? Who has had such an out-of-state experience?

As far as I rationalize the issue, it is not practical and not hospitable to demand from all motorists entering your state to comply with all the little pesky laws (speeding is different, of course) that would mean you have to put the cat back in or not have a certain type of tint or put a second license plate on your car even though these things might be perfectly legal in the state where the car is registered. But then I know that the American legal system is particularly unrational.

This has been a very burning question for me since I am planning a trip that will lead me through 5 states that all have different regulations. Please help with your comments and experiences.

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
110 Posts
I live in cali, I've gotten 2 window tint tickets.I live right on the border of nevada. My neighbors got their registration in Nevada so they could tint their windows as dark as they want with no problems, I think I,m going to do the same. But to answer your question No I don't think your going to get pulled over if you are just on vacation or cruzin through the state with out of state plates.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Nick, that's interesting. Also that you can get your car registered in a state where you don't reside is interesting. Can you expand on that even though it's OT?

I want to hear y'all's opinion and experiences on the matter because the pure thought of getting a ticket for that makes me furious even though I coulld perfectly avoid it and new tint might be not much more than a ticket but it would be simply unfair.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I know here if you know someone that lives outta state you can reg. your car there but that leads gov. to believe you live there and your license is there as well... AS for tint you should be ok, have a copy of the tint law for your state in your glove box and if you have the reciept for your tint that too, just as back up

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well FYI I live in delaware and it's tint law is 70% front, ANY% back and rear.
I got pulled over in Maryland while passing through a toll plaza specifically for my tint. Now, I had 18% all the way around according to my tint shop... The cop pulls out his tester and tests my front and back window, tells me it is 11%. he shows me the wording on the kit that it can't be below 35% for MD cars. I tell him, "Officer, this isn't registered in MD, I am from DE and this is where the car is registered". He tells me it doesn't matter, if you are driving on MD roads you have to abide by MD laws.
Is he feeding me BS? $60 ticket! since it's out of state they cannot give you a fix it ticket at least... I still havn't paid.. court date is in May, not sure if I should fight it or not...
thoughts?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well FYI I live in delaware and it's tint law is 70% front, ANY% back and rear.
I got pulled over in Maryland while passing through a toll plaza specifically for my tint. Now, I had 18% all the way around according to my tint shop... The cop pulls out his tester and tests my front and back window, tells me it is 11%. he shows me the wording on the kit that it can't be below 35% for MD cars. I tell him, "Officer, this isn't registered in MD, I am from DE and this is where the car is registered". He tells me it doesn't matter, if you are driving on MD roads you have to abide by MD laws.
Is he feeding me BS? $60 ticket! since it's out of state they cannot give you a fix it ticket at least... I still havn't paid.. court date is in May, not sure if I should fight it or not...
thoughts?
[/b]
Fight. There is no way an officer can expect you to change your tint because your driving in their state. What about cars sold with darker tint? Do they expect you to replace all your windows because of their law?? Fight, no matter what. The only way you can loose is if the judge has a grudge against you.

If you still question it, talk to a lawyer. Usually the initial chat with them is free anyway. Hell, if you get a lawyer you could even sue the state for mental anguish (I've seen worse trials).

Now that I have vented.... were you an a$$ to the cop? Also look into the laws there, can they pull you over just for tint? Most states I know of tint is a secondary offence, they can't pull you over for it, but if your pulled over they can add it to the list of complaints.

Good luck.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Fight. There is no way an officer can expect you to change your tint because your driving in their state. What about cars sold with darker tint? Do they expect you to replace all your windows because of their law?? Fight, no matter what. The only way you can loose is if the judge has a grudge against you.

If you still question it, talk to a lawyer. Usually the initial chat with them is free anyway. Hell, if you get a lawyer you could even sue the state for mental anguish (I've seen worse trials).

Now that I have vented.... were you an a$$ to the cop? Also look into the laws there, can they pull you over just for tint? Most states I know of tint is a secondary offence, they can't pull you over for it, but if your pulled over they can add it to the list of complaints.

Good luck.
[/b]
I 2nd that... FIGHT!!!

Travelling to other states, unless it's a safety factor (speeding/etc..) they can't inforce their secondary laws on you. What are you going to do, have your tint removed because of a road trip... thats just stupid...

I purchased a car in MA and drove it home(VT) and it had mirrored tint (20%) on it and I got pulled over like 2 days later because of the tint. (I planned to take it off anyway, I don't really care for mirror tint)

I just told him that I had just purchased it, and because of the weekend I didn't have a chance to take it to the shop to remove it yet. :D

I didn't get a ticket but the cop told me that I had to get it removed in 48hrs...

I would just carry your receipt from the place that installs your tint and ask them to put on it that it is "street legal tint"...

You should be ok then...

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
FIGHT THAT TICKET!

Its completely crazy to have to take off your tint if your just "driving throught" a state...makes no senese...thats like saying if anyone from the south with a driver's licenece at an age younger than 17 will not be able to drive through NJ....just completely stupid...

wow i never heard of that...i know in new jersey the law is whatever you want in the back...but the front two can not be touched.....

point of the story is i have 35's all the way around...never had a problem yet...knock on wood...thank god i'm on the other side of the country...cali cops suck totally!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
as long as you comply with your state's tint law, you should be okay.

IIRC, the law in Texas is 35%, not 25. i could be wrong, but anytime i tint my windows through a company, they always go the lowest with 35%.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm glad that others are concerned by this, too, and that you would also feel outraged if you got ticketed for this. John'S story from Delaware is exactly the kind of thing I'd be afraid of. Then again if the judge isn't completely inane I might be able to talk my ass out of it but that would require interrupting the trip or going back to Cali. A major PITA anyway you turn it.

Are there any lawyers on board who could shed some light on this?

Lance, Texas was 35% IIRC but since 2003 it is 25% and anything on the rear window. Here is a link

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/TX/

I also looked it up on the DMV or DPS site but don't have the link anymore.

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
526 Posts
In Texas, the tint law is 25% NET, which means you have to take into consideration the 7% that is already in the standard glass, leaving you a 32% film as the darkest allowed in Texas. If you get a true 25% on your windows, it is ILLEGAL.

And as for the original question, tinting laws are mandated state to state, every state's laws are different. Your registration tells you which state you have to abide by. Proof, I went to Vegas 2 months ago, got stopped TWICE in Utah, the first for speeding, the second purely because of tint. Both times, the officer stated that driving in Utah with illegal window film constitutes a ticket w/ a fine. Being that I am a window tinter by profession, and I know that this is bullshit, I called each of them on it, and they had no choice but to let me go. They cant expect you to change your window film through each state you travel. If they did, they would make a nationwide law that is the same in EVERY state.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
well, i'm not too worried about the leaglity of it anyways. next major mod and the previous few aren't exactly legal, either. i did it anyways. from what i have noticed about the police, they don't really hassle you unless you're doing something stupid. plus, i keep my windows down most of the time anyways.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Firestone,

you're right, of course. SHould have added that the 25% includes the "original" tint of the windows so aorund 32 foil is all you can get.

I was looking at Ceramic films by Huper Optik and Formula one Pinnacle. Those are the two available in the Capital of the Lonestar State. As a pro, what are your preferences here?

COuld you tell us what exactly you told the cop and how he reacted. Personally, I find it even more offensive if cops are trying to pull a quick one on you just for revenue. That's outright disgusting, what about To serve and protect?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My car is registered in FL but I still got a tint ticket up here in CT. Doesnt matter where you are from, but rather where you are

·
Registered
526 Posts
Firestone,

you're right, of course. SHould have added that the 25% includes the "original" tint of the windows so aorund 32 foil is all you can get.

I was looking at Ceramic films by Huper Optik and Formula one Pinnacle. Those are the two available in the Capital of the Lonestar State. As a pro, what are your preferences here?

COuld you tell us what exactly you told the cop and how he reacted. Personally, I find it even more offensive if cops are trying to pull a quick one on you just for revenue. That's outright disgusting, what about To serve and protect?

Thanks!
[/b]
I told both officers that it was NOT illegal in the state I reside in, (even though it is) and that I was just passing through. I also stated that I was a window tinter, and I was aware that the laws are different in EVERY state, how could he mandate that? Both of their answers, were, "Well, you best be heading out of Utah like you said ya wer, sir".

Huper Optik is by far better than Formula One. The cermaic film cuts out 95% INFRARED heat, even while being almost 70% Visible Light Transmission. Very good for those that want the protection without the look of tinted windows

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah I'd love to hear how you can register a car in a state you don't have a home in?
[/b]
You need to have residency in the state or a friend or family member. My neighbors have family in Nevada,(Incline to be exact). That is about two miles away from where we live.But it is in Nevada. I will have to get a Nevda licence, not that hard, I have a friend who lives in Nevada who is going to let me say I live there and I need to have one of my bills sent to his address which he will fax to me when he gets it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dragonfly, "Doesn't matter where you are from but where you are" is exactly the point under discussion. I feel that that is an unreasonable and hard to enforce standpoint. If that were the general rule we'd all have to be lawyers to avoid confrontation as soon as we cross state lines. I mean this is still the same country anyway. There are even laws in some states that say female motorists must have someone with a red flag running in front of them to announce them.

Firestone, thanks for the heads-up. I looked at the specs on the mfr's site and they were pretty similar, so it was hard to make a distinction there.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My car is registered in FL but I still got a tint ticket up here in CT. Doesnt matter where you are from, but rather where you are
[/b]
Sounds like you got screwed. A state cannot enforce their tint laws on you. Many people here iN RI get Florida plates because cops cannot ticket them. Same goes for inspection stickers. A cop cannot pull you over in another state for an expired inspection sticker. There was a huge racism lawsuit here a couple of years ago regarding an inspection sticket stop..

Don't assume that because a cop gave you a ticket that it's right and just pay it. Know your rights.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
21 Participants
Zoomspeed
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing