Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son of a ---. OK, So I get pulled over last night. No big deal. I was going the speed limit. I assume I'm going to get a warning. Posssibly a ticket, for my Tint. (it's 20% all the way around). Instead. I get a $49 fine for having a license plate cover around my back plate (like the license plate bracket that goes around the outside)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/HedsIc/CAR/Rear.jpg

My Gracie Jiu Jitsu plate cover thing..The cop was even cool. We talked for a while. The other officer ran all of my information in the computer in the cop car. THe officer trained in Jiu Jitsu too at the academy. cool cool.
So then he leaves and comes back and tells me to watch my tint. Tests it and it comes back at 17% and just a verbal warning. He then sais he is giving me a Citation for $49 to be paid by the 31'st. I'm like "Damn, Expensive ticket for tint" only I look at the ticket and it's for illegal object obstructing the view of my license plate. Apparently, in the officers own words, "It's illegal in this area to have a cover around your license plate".

No real reason for this post. I just wanted to bitch was all...........anyone want a plate cover? lol

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iowa still list the county under the plate number? Maybe you aren't allowed to cover that part up? Seems stupid.
[/b]
Yeah, It was because it covers the county plus the registration sticker. What got me though was, of all the things I could have been ticketed for it was for that and not the Tint lol. You'd assume if I got a warning for the tint it'd just be a warning for that too since I could have taken the cover off right there on the spot..It was only a $12 fine actaully. The rest are court costs.

He had a ride along with him so I assume he just wanted to show the guy some basic stops and so forth and how to do the paperwork. sucks that it is costing me $49 to teach a ride along how to do paperwork and a routine pull over though lol.

This actaully brings another question to mind though. I just ordered springs to lower me car..Anyone know if there are laws in Iowa or where to look to make sure I don't lower it to low? For some reason I could see getting pulled over and being tulled my car is below the legal limit for lowering or something stupid.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Most States will not let you cover any protion of the plate that contains information. And none of them will allow you to cover the expiration stickers (year and month) on a car license. If they notice it they will ticket you.

Texas has a system now where the expiration month and year are not on the license plate. They have an expiration sticker that is on the front windshield by the inspection sticker. Only thing important on the license plate is the number and state name.

I'd rather have it on the plate than more crap on my windshield.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
There have also been cases where it is considered an illegal stop for police to pull you over for obstructing unimportant information such as the county name when caused by normal items such as a license plate frame or trailer hitch ball.

The OEM mounting system for the rear plate on my RX-7 could be considered to obstruct those parts of the plate.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Yeah, It was because it covers the county plus the registration sticker.
[/b]
They'll nail you for that every time, especially for the registration stickers. Luckily, NY doesn't believe in them (on the plates anyway, we have registration stickers in the bottom corner of our windshield).
This actaully brings another question to mind though. I just ordered springs to lower me car..Anyone know if there are laws in Iowa or where to look to make sure I don't lower it to low? For some reason I could see getting pulled over and being tulled my car is below the legal limit for lowering or something stupid.
[/b]
If you EVER get a ticket for having a car that's too low, MOVE! I've NEVER heard of being ticketed for being too low...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They'll nail you for that every time, especially for the registration stickers. Luckily, NY doesn't believe in them (on the plates anyway, we have registration stickers in the bottom corner of our windshield).

If you EVER get a ticket for having a car that's too low, MOVE! I've NEVER heard of being ticketed for being too low...
[/b]
I only asked because I remember a long time ago either seeing it or hearing someone talk about a police officer measuring how low their car was. That or it might have been in some wierd ass dream I had. I usually get real life and dream life mixed up ALOT...........hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I got a ticket for my license plate being partially covered... by a NJ state trooper. I got lucky though cuz he could have ticketed me for speeding...

·
Registered
823 Posts
The only height restriction I've seen perusing the Iowa Code 1999: Chapter 321 was Section 321.390 regarding reflector regulations.

Whenever a red reflector is required or permitted to be used in substitution of lamps upon a vehicle under any one of the provisions of this chapter, such reflector shall be mounted upon the vehicle at a height not to exceed forty-two inches nor less than twenty inches above the ground upon which the vehicle stands, and every such reflector shall be so designed and maintained as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred feet to fifty feet from such vehicle, except that on a commercial vehicle the reflector shall be visible from all distances within five hundred feet to fifty feet from such vehicle when directly in front of a motor vehicle displaying lawfully lighted head lamps as provided in section 321.409.
[/b]
Basically, as it sounds like it would apply to our car, is the reflector in the bumper needs to be between 20 inches and 42 inches from the ground. Not sure what it is stock, but if you are ultimately worried about getting dinged for that, it would be something to look at.

There is also Section 321.390 which states that your vehicle (laden or not) shall not exceed 13 feet 6 inches. But I don't think that applies here.

Sucks about the plate though. Will the frame mount on the front plate (if you still want to keep it on that is)?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only height restriction I've seen perusing the Iowa Code 1999: Chapter 321 was Section 321.390 regarding reflector regulations.
Basically, as it sounds like it would apply to our car, is the reflector in the bumper needs to be between 20 inches and 42 inches from the ground. Not sure what it is stock, but if you are ultimately worried about getting dinged for that, it would be something to look at.

There is also Section 321.390 which states that your vehicle (laden or not) shall not exceed 13 feet 6 inches. But I don't think that applies here.

Sucks about the plate though. Will the frame mount on the front plate (if you still want to keep it on that is)?
[/b]
Yeah I have one on the front too. It doesn't bother me having to take it off. It just sucks spending $49 cause of something I coudl have taken off right there when I was pulled over lol........

Hmmm 13 feet 6 inches? DAMNIT there goes those plans lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
i got pulled over by campus police for my smoked (the bluge type) plate covers.
it was a fix-it ticket just $10. but just a hassle so took em off.

i put a clear flat cover for the front ones. no problem harder to spot.

in Cali its any portion of the vehicle, i assume any body kits, lower than the lowest part of the rim is illegal.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I remember when police would pull you over for having the car too high in the back or tires sticking out too far. Air shocks...hehe...those were the days.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
TX registration info goes inside the windshield, and it is still illegal to have a license plate frame which obscures any part of the state name. I got a warning for this a few months back after getting pulled over for speeding...for which I also received a warning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
txwagon
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing