Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to help adding HP by lenghting the Intake Manifold flow ( Cheaper version of VLIM) thereby adding HP/TQ down-low while sacrificing some high end power. I've seen them do this on 2 guys garage. Would it be possible for this to work on the 6s or the gains would be too negligable to notice.

please discuss and sorry if this is a repost I searched for the topic but saw nothing.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any opinion on this???

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I do know it works on trucks....I'm not sure if it works as well on cars, my guess would be no....I know the dyno test on my 97 explorer stock was 223 at the wheels....I dynod after each mod to see how much more gains....added the KnN filter next, went from 223 to 236....next was the PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer....I went from 236 to 238....next was the SuperChip....went from 238 to 261.last was the Gibson Exhaust....261 268....so, if that helps at all, which I'm not sure then there you go....I added Torque Monster Headers later but didn't dyno it with everything on, I'm guessing my end product at the wheels on my truck was about 280 easily....

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
808LoverBoy, Thanx for the response. I figured it would'nt add any peak power, heck it would probably rob 2-3HP on the high end. I was looking at this more for extra power Down low where I need it the most. Doesn't seem to hard to fab up price $150-$200 range. Hmm maybe I will contact CP-E on this

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I think it will do something, but I don't know how much. Normal benefits of adding intake length is to increase air speed at the cylinder. Our intake manifold isn't the best candidate, but that doesn't mean it will do nothing.

It would be an interesting project to test spacers of differing thicknesses and pretty easy to make them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to help adding HP by lenghting the Intake Manifold flow ( Cheaper version of VLIM) thereby adding HP/TQ down-low while sacrificing some high end power. I've seen them do this on 2 guys garage. Would it be possible for this to work on the 6s or the gains would be too negligable to notice.

please discuss and sorry if this is a repost I searched for the topic but saw nothing.
[/b]

I think it could add some low end torque.

When I first modded my TB I polished the entire bore, but only increased the diameter of the "horn"area. I noticed more low end torque after that mod. After I bored the entire unit another 4mm the low end torque went away, but I felt top end gain. I think the effect of a TB spacer might be exactly the same....higher velocity, lower density. It wasnt dramatic, but it was noticeable.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right on. Obviously a better IM would be prime choice but odds are slim to none plus the cost would be too high for 99.999% of the ppl so it wouldnt happen. Like I said before, I don't care if I lost a few ponies top end as long as I gain some nice low end TQ. I did a search on the web they usually go for $75-$120

Anyone care to fab up a couple for testing?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ya on older cars these things worked better because you had TB injectors. So it actually helped the air and fuel mix better. Probably wont be as big of help on our cars, but who knows. Fabing it up should be cheap. Plus... It would be a good place to put a fogger in the future.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Doesn't anyone else enjoy reving the engine to 7k and having peak power there? That's my solution for a lack of low-end grunt, downshift. :yesnod:

Speaking of which, I miss my car oh so freaking much now at school :tear: .

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't anyone else enjoy reving the engine to 7k and having peak power there? That's my solution for a lack of low-end grunt, downshift. :yesnod:

[/b]
I enjoy doing that very much :love:

However 99% of the time I don't have that luxury. Im looking for more low end so I can pull into traffic without nearly ramming the car in front of me.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i've put a total of 14 of these on customer cars and i've never seen more than 2.4hp power gain at any point in the powerband. IMO and use, they're an utter waste of $ and marketing ploy but that's me. If you want to have one made for you be my gues but I'd venture to guess you'd lose about 1mpg on gas maybe 2 and wouldn't gain any real low end power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
bumpin_blazer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing