Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I bought a used 2003 Mazda 6s 3.0l recently and everything has been great until my throttle body stopped working correctly. Did a bunch of research and found out that there is a TSB for the throttle body I have, and the one I have has a model # on it that ends in 'AA'(which is the bad one). It was never replaced. So here I am shopping around and trying to find out which route I should take to replace the part.

So far I've called a local Mazda Stealership and they offered a replacement for $750 :huh:, which is just a scam and I don't want to take that route.

I also called a few local junkyards with no luck.

I read a few posts about Cordova Motorsports having a good replacement, so that's an option.

I just want yal's advice on the best route to get this fixed, and what will be most reliable. So far it seems like Cordova (if they're still in business, website looks pretty outdated) may be a good place to buy it from. I have a Cold Air intake and if I buy one from Cordova, will it fit like normal?:confused: Which one from Cordova would you guys buy, the Optimized one or OEM? Do I need to buy any other accessories for the replacement to go smooth?:confused:

Is there a better alternative than Cordova?

Please help, and thank you for taking the time to read this all. I just want to get my car running reliably :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hey everybody. I bought a used 2003 Mazda 6s 3.0l recently and everything has been great until my throttle body stopped working correctly. Did a bunch of research and found out that there is a TSB for the throttle body I have, and the one I have has a model # on it that ends in 'AA'(which is the bad one). It was never replaced. So here I am shopping around and trying to find out which route I should take to replace the part.

So far I've called a local Mazda Stealership and they offered a replacement for $750 :huh:, which is just a scam and I don't want to take that route.

I also called a few local junkyards with no luck.

I read a few posts about Cordova Motorsports having a good replacement, so that's an option.

I just want yal's advice on the best route to get this fixed, and what will be most reliable. So far it seems like Cordova (if they're still in business, website looks pretty outdated) may be a good place to buy it from. I have a Cold Air intake and if I buy one from Cordova, will it fit like normal?:confused: Which one from Cordova would you guys buy, the Optimized one or OEM? Do I need to buy any other accessories for the replacement to go smooth?:confused:

Is there a better alternative than Cordova?

Please help, and thank you for taking the time to read this all. I just want to get my car running reliably :rolleyes:
Scott (CordovaMotorsports) is still around. Send him an email. I just got my 3.7l tb spacer last week from him.

Your cheapest option for new parts would be a 3.7l cx-9 or 2nd gen 3.7l throttle body (same part) for something like $160 (check online mazda specific parts stores. Then the throttle body adapter from Scott (need it to put the 3.7l tb on) for something like $55 shipped. Make sure to tell him for 3.0l intake manifold to 3.7l throttle body. You can choose tapered (the normal way) or non tapered if you planned on porting the inlet on the intake manifold in the future, either one doesnt hurt. And also make sure to tell him you have the stock airbox or a cai/sri so that you can get a silicone coupler from him if needed for ~$25. So total of around $240 for a new, better throttle body.

Also if you need it he also sells the harness fix for early cars like yours and mine that might have problems with the new tb but that is something like $50 so you are still ahead.

Optimized would be a little more but I dont know if he has any in stock. You would still break even or save money while getting a better part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this TB would work?
Mazda 6 2009 2013 Mazda CX 9 2010 2013 New Throttle Body CA01 13 640B | eBay

Then just get a TB adapter with *3.0l intake manifold to 3.7l throttle body*

I'll tell Scott I have a CAI for a Silicone Coupler.

And to be safe, I'll get this 'harness fix'.

Sorry If I'm being repetitive, just trying to make sure I got all this right.

If this is good, I'll go ahead and order all this. Just wondering(not trying to avoid your much appreciated advice), is there a one stop part that doesn't require these different parts that isn't much more expensive?

And again, thank you guys. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
And to be safe, I'll get this 'harness fix'.
Ask him about it. I believe you would only need it if you get a certain cel. So you could try without first.

Here this is cheaper- same part

THROTTLE BODY for 2012 Mazda 6|{$part_number

Edit: maybe if you wanted it optimized you could buy the tb and have it sent straight to Scott so he could work on it and send everything at once. its like $75 or $90 shipped to optimize it. I dont know how long it would take though.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Uploaded a pic of my intake/TB if it helps any of you.
http://i.imgur.com/TDVXflr.jpg

And what in the world is this cable, and why is it plugged into itself? Do I need this?
http://i.imgur.com/aA3WtRR.jpg
What cable? Not really sure what you are pointing at. Where your thumb is?

Edit:
@flipper66

Same car as you right flipper? I dont recognize anything in that area. Looks different than mine.

It does look like something aftermarket though. What does it lead to?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Not trying to derail the thread, but all you need is the controller on the side. Remove yours, inspect it, clean it and maybe its ok. Or buy the $166 tb and take the electronics off the side. No further expense needed. No 3.7 afapter as you use your old tb and new electronics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What cable? Not really sure what you are pointing at. Where your thumb is?
Sorry I don't mean cable, I mean the red hose to the right of my hand. The hose comes out of the bottom of that electronic piece that is plugged in to some separate electrical box, and the hose just loops around back into itself. If I remember correctly I was told that part was used with the stock airbox and helped regulate something, so it had to be kept.:confused:

Also, does the cordova optimized TB have the same size as the original OEM throttle body that I currently have? Would it need an adapter or no?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sorry I don't mean cable, I mean the red hose to the right of my hand. The hose comes out of the bottom of that electronic piece that is plugged in to some separate electrical box, and the hose just loops around back into itself. If I remember correctly I was told that part was used with the stock airbox and helped regulate something, so it had to be kept.:confused:

Also, does the cordova optimized TB have the same size as the original OEM throttle body that I currently have? Would it need an adapter or no?
Oh that is the vad sensor or something. Forgot what its called. It just needs to be plugged in. On mine, there is no hose connecting it to itself. It doesnt matter as far as I know.

Here is a thread with the info on the throttle bodies-
http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/241563-3-0l-v6-large-diameter-throttle-body-r-d.html

·
Registered
389 Posts

Get the cordova 3.7 otb. They are bigger in diameter but will fit your 6, they are cheaper the 3.o tb also. It will fix your problem and add more hp at the same time. But you got to buy the gasket, spacer and wire harness. Check out their site.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Not trying to derail the thread, but all you need is the controller on the side. Remove yours, inspect it, clean it and maybe its ok. Or buy the $166 tb and take the electronics off the side. No further expense needed. No 3.7 afapter as you use your old tb and new electronics.
UNBOLT - BOLT UP NEW Electronics..... Clean the sticky dried grease - problem solved....

Worst case is the drive motor needs to come out too and/or gears.... Inspect and use the new parts.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
UNBOLT - BOLT UP NEW Electronics..... Clean the sticky dried grease - problem solved....

Worst case is the drive motor needs to come out too and/or gears.... Inspect and use the new parts.

Good point. Probably the best idea.

I didnt think of that but it would be the cheapest solution and new part if youre willing to do that. Or upgrade to the 3.7l tb! :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had this same problem this summer along with a bad fuel pump. Bought a new 3.7 tb from the dealer and swaped over the tps. Now I have both the stock 3.7 tb and an optimized one to play with. Here are some pictures I took, hope they are some help. The stock 3.0 is on the left (1st picture) and on the right (2nd picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Mazda Fan,
Did the motor die on yours or just the TPS?
From the OEM - any grease inside or just dry?

And just to get this straight, you swapped the 3.7 TB TPS (electronics) onto the stock OEM TB. Also was there any contamination in yours or just worn out.

Thanks!
FI

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just the TPS was bad. I had already done the swap to a optimized tb from twowheelin. Since I just needed that one part I got a new one from the dealer and swaped it over. There wasn't any dirt or grease inside because it was sealed.

Before I switched them the car would start and die out right away. There was no noise from the tb like normal when you put the key in.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Found some added INFO applicable to 03-04 vs 05-08.

============================
HARNESS, THROTTLE BODY (AJT1-13-ZS8)
Throttle Body Harness is used in conjunction with Throttle Body part number AJT1-13-640.
Fits: 2003-2004 Mazda6 3.0L
==
BODY, THROTTLE (AJT1-13-640)
Throttle Body Fits: 2003-2004 Mazda6 3.0L
NOTE: You must purchase Throttle Body Harnes part number AJT1-13-ZS8 in conjunction with this Throttle Body.

============================

BODY, THROTTLE (AJ57-13-640D)
Throttle Body Fits:
2005-2008 Mazda6 3.0L

==

JJD952

1 - 20 of 23 Posts