Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My car is still surging but only during warm up. I usually have to restart 3 times to get it to stop surging. Other than that the car drives well and everything is ok. I wonder if there is a vacuum leak anywhere? Does anyone know what hoses I should check in order to find a vacuum leak? The air intake hose is brand new and i checked the pcv hose and found no leaks? Any others? There is a slight/ soft hissing sound on the back side of the passenger side of the engine but I might be hearing things so im not sure. Also I did not change the TB gasket after changing the TB. Could there be a leak there? The TB gasket looked fine. Basically Im trying to avoid going the 150 dollar diagnostics fee that mazda is proposing to charge me!

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
the hissing sound is a leak.

you need to check the brake booster(hose to the right of the PCV hose) and the FPR hose(to the right of the brake booster hose, should be a rubber 45* elbow)

Also check the lines that hook up to your vad sensor check valve(Green and white bulb thing) if you still have that equipped.

rarely do the vac lines on the EGR go out, but you can check that one too just to be safe. Could also be that the EGR itself is not seated properly or the plenum isn't all the way down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey flipper, when my car is surging I hear a sound coming from the EGR valve. Its kind of like a metallic buzzing sound on every surge. Not sure if the surging is causing this sound or if the EGR valve is causing the surging.

As far as the other hoses you mentioned, they are all good. when warmed up the car runs fine and idle is fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok I brought my car in to the Mazda service center. They ran diagnostics for 2 days and found that the new throttle body that I bought needs to be replaced. My car also needs a throttle body harness with diode. Do you know what the throttle body harness with diode is or where it is located? Mazda said there was a service bulletin that required a replacement with parts (AJT1-13-ZS8 and AJT1-13-640) which is the TB and harness w/ diode. Also Im trying to get my TB replaced by cordova motor sports, who got the OEM TB from Mazda. And of course Mazda tries to milk me clean with outrageous diagnostics costs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Flipper do you or anyone else know of any DIY for TB harness replacement? I was reading the TSB 01-030/11 and the replacement involves special tools and soldering parts together.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed an Optimized TB a couple of years ago. I had the surge and then choking issue this morning, with CEL on. Had it hauled to Mazda in Chantilly. They're asking me about the TB, cause they know it's not stock. The thing has been running great since I installed, and added Steeda TB Spacer. Yesterday, had a faint smell of gasket or rubber burning. Last work was done at Mazda with valve cover gaskets replaced. I'm clueless on problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Optimized Throttle Body Bad? NO!

Update: Mazda dealer says replace TB for $1000. Cordova Motorsport says I need the diode on wiring for $35 kit (2003-2004 models).

I think I'll take the wiring harness kit. I should have seen this sooner. I was thinking it couldn't be my car, but that's better than replacing whole thing.

I've got a free Saturday coming up.

Thanks Flipper.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Update: Mazda dealer says my optimized throttle body (purchased Apr 2009), is bad and they will replace for $1000 parts & labor.

Is this right? bad after only 3 yrs?

NO THANK YOU!
highly doubtful.

you can contact 2 wheelin and ask him about possible warrantying it. I would say they are probably clueless and didn't know what was actually the issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got instructions form Cordova on repairing TB Wire Harness. Turns out they have simple solution that doesn't require the special tool mentioned in the TSB. It would have been nice to know this before I bought it (only $13 at CarQuest). They will FedEx part if you need right away, but be specific, otherwise normal mail. I could of had it today, vs tomorrow. I'm gonna turn my Rental back in, and hopefully drive My 6 home safely from dealership in Chantilly (15 miles).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey guys, really need your help...
Got a '04 6S. When I start the car after it's been sitting overnight, it makes some kind of rattling noise for about 1-2 minutes (with periods of about 25 seconds). The sound is very close to the sounds of a tractor. I tried to track down, where the noise comes from and I'm pretty sure, it's the TB. Is there any chance it needs to be cleaned and maybe something is loose inside? Would be pretty awesome, if I could avoid spending big $ on a new one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not a mechanic but I went to an AutoZone and they gave me a code for my throttle pedal position sensor and or my throttle body I want to know being not a mechanic am I going to be able to change both myself

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's a bunch of them but they all relate to the throttle pedal position sensor or the throttle actuator control model circuit the codes are p2135 then p2101 then P0122 and p0223 then p2110 than p2135 and then p2101 P0122 and po223 then p2110 all relating to the TPS or throttle body or both I'm driving a Mazda 6 2004

·
Registered
543 Posts
The TPS is built into the TB. It's 4 bolts that hold it to the manifold. There are also a couple of water lines (v6 that I know for sure) and a connector. It can be changed out in an hour tops. The amount of the coolant lost is very minimal and can top off the res with a little distilled water. Just be careful if you have plastic Ts. These tend to break even if messing with the opposite side of the hose with a car our age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply sounds like something I can do on my own the other thing I was wondering about is the throttle position sensor is there anyway I can test that without having to buy expensive equipment cuz that seems to be the other problem or it could be both

·
Rally Racer
1,994 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts