Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed recently that after shutting the car off the throttle body is making high pitched whining/buzzing noises. Immediately after shutting the car off the throttle body sounds like it is repositioning itself and the noise changes quite a bit during this process, but after it's done it continues to make a constant whining/buzzing noise. I haven't really noticed it doing this until recently, but I'm not sure if it has always done it or if this is something new and I just noticed. The car was recently having trouble idling and when letting off the throttle while driving. I cleaned the throttle body which was quite dirty as well as the MAF which helped quite a bit and it no longer is throwing a check engine light, but the idle still bounces once in a while and isn't totally smooth. I am suspecting there may be a problem with the throttle body. Anybody have input on this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (kpjimmy @ Jan 20 2010, 11:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1631209
Before changing out a TB, did someone check all the vacuum hoses that lead into the TB? And if the hoses look fine, you may want to check the gasket on the TB. I think the one that looks like a wire hanger bent into the shape of the tb is what the gasket looks like.[/b]
Yeah I forgot to mention that I had checked for vacuum leaks because it was originally setting the CEL with a lean code. While the car was idling steady, I tried spraying propane and ether around all the vacuum ports, but couldn't hear any change in idle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thought I had was that maybe the drive by wire pedal sensor wasn't reading correctly. Anybody ever take one of these apart to clean?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think the noise you are hearing is normal. The throttle body does make this buzzing noise on startup and a little when the car is turning off. There might be other issues with the car.
At least mine does :p

I'll check with the noise on my car again, but there is something you can do to help your throttle body:

1. Remove throttle body from engine
  2. Remove metal clips with a small flathead screw driver (there is about 6 on the motor box)
  3. remove middle gear and use either some Lithium grease (recommended) or some WD-40 and spray a couple times in and around the gear spindle (turning it around with your hands)
  4. Work the grease around a bit till it feels smoother to turn. Grease the gear teath.
  5. Try using something to seal the black cover as I don't think it was every sealed properly

Seemed to accelerate a little easier, but hard to tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
07 mazda 3 ugg weird starts ....crank in the morning goes to 1.5 rpm then kicks up to 2 rpm then slowly back down to norm...sometimes kicks right up to 2rp with first crank then slowly down...before it use to be 1.5 rpm then back down before i was parking it outside....restarts after it has been sitting for a while a couple hours r wonkie ....acts like its going to stall after crank but revs up...sometimes it wont and then a hard crank ensues.....battery starter r good..... any info????

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have this same issue. But my car will lose totally power to the wheels my car will rev up but that's it. Just did a tune up, cold air intake,exhaust.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2005 2.3l had weird idling problems when it would sit. One day I went to Gamestop and went to park my car and my CEL was on. The moment i put it into park the car almost died on me. After getting my game I came back out to start the car and it did the same thing after starting it, it almost died again so I'm wondering wth is wrong with my car. Took it home and hooked my computer up to it and found that one of my cylinders was running lean and one of the culprits for this was the Purge Valve Solenoid going bad. I reset the CEL and never got the code but my idle still acted very weird and tried to die sometimes... 3 months later I purchased a Dorman Purge Valve Solenoid and my car runs soooo much better. my MPG has went up, my idle is perfect and no more jumping around, and finally my car doesn't want to die anymore. Also that whining and buzzing sound is normal for throttle bodies to make that noise.

TL;DR

Weird Idle = Check your Purge Valve Solenoid
Throttle Body Buzzing = Normal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts