Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I did a search on this and never got an answer. I live in New Jersey and wanted to do the throttle body bypass. I have heard that it is possible for the throttle to freeze. It does get cold here in the winter so I want to see if people that have done this mod, ever had the throttle freeze or anything like that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a remote start, so warm up isn't a problem. i just want to make sure that the thottle isn't going to freeze. I do have a CAI.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I live in kansas and did not have an issue with it last year's winter.It did actually run better the colder it got.I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
It's 20 degrees outside and I'm running a 160 degree thermostat with the bypass and I am not having any problems

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Dont do it in the winter and you dont have to worry about it.

And if it doesnt happen why does mazda spend all the time and money putting the coolant in there to start with? Sure it probably wont happen to you, but if it does, it could be bad.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i had one freeze on my 280z a while back
it was kinda scary
but i got over it real quick

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Dont do it in the winter and you dont have to worry about it.

And if it doesnt happen why does mazda spend all the time and money putting the coolant in there to start with? Sure it probably wont happen to you, but if it does, it could be bad.
[/b]

This guy is a proclaimed expert on the engineering of the coolant line going into the TB and mazda even got his opinion to design it...............NOT. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
This guy is a proclaimed expert on the engineering of the coolant line going into the TB and mazda even got his opinion to design it...............NOT. :laugh:
[/b]
I never proclaimed I was an expert on anything...

The fact is that line is there for a reason. Here in kansas it has only gotten cold in the last few days, so it wouldnt be an issue. However if you lived where it got cold, and wet more often, you might get screwed.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I never proclaimed I was an expert on anything...

The fact is that line is there for a reason. Here in kansas it has only gotten cold in the last few days, so it wouldnt be an issue. However if you lived where it got cold, and wet more often, you might get screwed.
[/b]
Thats good that you admit that you have no idea what you are talking about when you voice your opinion.......you should go back to the lounge and post more on topics you might actually know something about.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So what your saying is... That car companies spend extra money to put this on a car, and they dont know what they are doing and it isnt needed? And that Freakta is lying, he really didnt have this happen to him?

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
i had one freeze on my 280z a while back
it was kinda scary
but i got over it real quick
[/b]

A 280z is a far cry from a MAZDA 6,Since they haven't been produced since like 1985,that's a great comparison....Sorry there is 20 years gap in technology between the 2 of them.
The reason for the coolant lines to the TB is as follows.........
#1 Emissions and fuel economy
If you want a list of all the reasons for the coolant lines and why Mazda went to that design,I can post them from the 2003 mazda 6 service highlights manual.

there are many benefits to heating a TB and avoiding it icing is one of them,I will not deny that.If you go to 6tech.com,there are many members who live in colder and wetter places than Kansas and do not have problems with doing the mod. :search: or :google:

You might learn something,AND FINALLY I never called freakta a liar about his 280z,he never said it happened to his 6 so lets compare apples to apples.........

Thanks for playing who can be the bigger jerk with me,
Dave

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welp, glad you admited your a big jerk. Glad you have ruined this poor guys thread going on. Glad you think throttle bodies have changed tons in 20 years.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
when you can post something based on fact or show that you actually have any expertise in working on vehicles,by all means please post here and help out fellow members,Until then please stay in the lounge and try to make some friends that can teach you some social skills to play well with others.just my .02$

·
Registered
11 Posts
when you can post something based on fact or show that you actually have any expertise in working on vehicles,by all means please post here and help out fellow members,Until then please stay in the lounge and try to make some friends that can teach you some social skills to play well with others.just my .02$
[/b]
In defense of fullmetal6, I DO work for Ford in Powertrain Operations (home of the 3.0 L Duratec) and here are the FACTS.

The throttle body IS heated for a reason, so that ice doesn't accumulate at the butterfly valve and either freeze the plate in place (closed) or cause a fast idle due to the plate not closing completely, either of which will initiate a "limp-home" mode. Ice tends to accumulate in very cold conditions (-20F and below) after the vehicle has cold soaked -- overnight, for example. Water vapor accumulates on the throttle body and then freezes. Accumulation while the engine is running is usually not a problem. Heating the throttle body melts the ice and allows the vehicle to be driven much more quickly than waiting for the throttle body to heat up with the engine. This feature adds significant cost to the throttle body (on the order of $20, fully accounted) so I can assure you that it isn't added for no good reason.

I'll agree that for 95% of US owners, this is probably not going to ever be an issue, but for people who live and drive in cold weather states and Canada, many will experience these conditions. Having grown up in Minnesota and living in Michigan, I can attest to the fact that I see -20F temperatures on a yearly basis (-40 in Minnesota!).

As to the assertion that performace is diminished by the air being heated as it passes through the throttle body, that effect is minimal. The amount of heat transferred from the smooth-sided throttle body to the fast-moving air is minimal, and does not have a measurable affect on the intake air temperature, except perhaps, at idle, where the velocities are relatively low.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ya some guy a while back actually did a bunch of math to proove that the air was going so fast it didnt matter. Thank you for the back up. And as I said before it probably wouldnt happen, but... why chance it.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Doug Perrenoud,please read post 15 before you decide to chime in in full defense of fullmetal6.I did acknowledge that it did help prevent icing in that post among other things.
:search:for post 15.
As a matter of fact,give me a call at the store,pna code 05334.I have a few more questions for you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts