Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning it was about 40 degrees out and i floored it getting onto the highway. i hit about 80 and i looked down and my cel started flashing...it flashed for about 15 seconds and then went away, it never was solid, just flashed. this is the first time i've seen this happen on my car. a few weeks ago i installed a CP-E CAI on my car, which is scotchlocked, a tranny cooler, and an extra PCV valve.

should i be worried about this?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a little bit, it's about a mile to the highway, and i let it run as i'm messing with cd's and getting my sunglasses and crap..

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there very well could have been a misfire, i was thinking it was a misfire or a shift point. just had that kind of feeling to it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn you guys, i wanna rock my car at -20 degrees from a stand still. but thanks for the halp, and WELCOME BACK CROSSBOW...your input was missed

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
"Think of it this way (I'm assuming you are male) it's like a woman riding your ass the second you open your eyes, your CEL is going crazy and she is driving hard causing damage to your mental health! She could at least let you wake up and drink some coffee or something."

- Polarwind from Mazda6tech

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahahh , no i totally understand what they are saying, i let off as soon as it started flashing, and i was going to pull over, but it shut off. i've learned it now, wait till she heats up before riding her hard ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
This just happened to me tonight... except it went solid after it blinked and never went away. I was also on the highway but it's not very cold out and I wasn't pushing the car. This is an '06 and it's less than THREE MONTHS OLD (3,500 mi) Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Don't go past 5k rpm for the first 4 minutes of driving.

Supposedly there is a redesigned manifold in the works...but I've been hearing that for a long time.

Basically any P030x cel code is generally from being romping on the car before its at operating temp. The colder it is in the morning, the more time the car needs to warm up.

Now this isn't because people are driving the car, its because people pull out of their side streets onto a main road, and rev to redline to go flying off. Usually if you keep the rev's below 5k the car won't yell at you, or leave a dataset for the dealer to see that you were at 6,400 rpm when the coolant temp was at 140F...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really dont think I went over 5k.

Story: It's about 45 degrees out. I'm literally 2 minutes from the highway. I start the car and drive to the store which is about 100 yards from the on-ramp. I'm at the store for 5 minutes (enough time for the car to cool back down a bit). Jump on the highway, there's nobody around because its late. I doubt I went over 5k as I worked it up to 4th gear (about 80 mph) and the CEL flashes. It flashes for 10-15 seconds then goes solid. I stopped at a rest area and checked all the bullshit like fluids, caps, etc. The CEL remains my entire ride home. This morning it was still on for my ride to work (half hour), and remains as I type this. The car is an '06 6s MTX

Edit/Update: I just went out to get a coffee and the CEL is gone. Should I scan it or let sleeping dogs lie? I should add that I never noticed anything out of the ordinary (feel, sight, sound) that would indicate a problem while the CEL was tripped...

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
What you described is the exact situation in which the cel occurs. A rapid acceleration when the coolant is not at operating temp...flashing cel is a misfire code, which is generally a p0304 misfire.

Cel goes away after 2 concurrent drive cycles without the situation that caused the cel. It remains in the FFD until another cel overwrites it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
"Think of it this way (I'm assuming you are male) it's like a woman riding your ass the second you open your eyes, your CEL is going crazy and she is driving hard causing damage to your mental health! She could at least let you wake up and drink some coffee or something."

- Polarwind from Mazda6tech[/b]

I was doing some research for my p0304, and stumbled on this thread after using that awesome search function. And see I was quoted from 6tech :laugh: I feel so special! :yesnod:

This thread is basically true, expect for me it wasn't cold out side, but I did get on the car a bit, car had been running for a few minutes but needle wasn't mid way on the temp gauge which makes sense. Damn 80 degrees outside and this can still happen to yous!

That is all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
polarwind
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing