Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 6 GT but coming from a BMW to this car I find it somewhat unfinished. Anyways, I can live with them but I can't live with an erratic connection to the phone and long waits for the infotainment/nav unit to respond. Sometimes it works sometimes don't. After resetting everything it works unit I turn off the car. When I start the car again it takes like 30 second to start the connection service and after that it's start to download all the phone book again. When it finish, after 5 to 6 minutes, I go to the phonebook menu but an error appears that the phonebook is not found. Then it ask for download the contacts again but the "Yes" option is grayed out. During this time the phone module cant be used. I can't make calls.

Additional to this issue the unit takes almost 2 and a half minutes to start playing the music on my 16GB USB and its start at the first song every time. I know this is an known issue but is very annoying.

I took the car to the dealer and the technician confirmed that the bluetooth module is not working correctly so they are going to order the parts right now. I told the manager that if the issue is not resolve during the allowed time to return the car I will return it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
The head unit problem is not going to get fixed in the time you have allotted. Forget it.

Note that on the Sport MT there is ZERO USB play delay and it remembers where it was too. I have a 32GB memory stick that is permanently stuck in the connector on my car and it starts up instantly and right where it was when I turn the car on, no matter how long it has been off.

The only gripe I have with the advertised capabilities is that it cannot display folder NAMES -- it does display SONG names, but not folder NAMES when stepping through. Meh.

So close but yet so far.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
@Atxyde Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear of your issues. Unfortunately some of the issues you have described are common in our cars, along with the CX-5, which shares the same unit. The software is poorly designed, but should be receiving an update within a month or two.

Although it's a very annoying issue, do remember that you can always change out the radio for an aftermarket setup. Other than the radio, the Mazda6 GT is a great car.

Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Like said above, this is no error that the factory can fix unfortunately. You'll either have to wait and hope that they'll release a patch or hardware update, or you can replace the unit yourself for a much better one. The excessive load times is a ridiculous software bug that a few of us are trying to work at improving but need a test unit to do so.

Personally, I'll take this car over a Similarly-priced BMW any day of the week. This car is much more unique and fun to own, not to mention the absurd MPGs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your responses. I can take the long waits to use the system but the fact that I can't even make calls its really unacceptable. I paired an S4, S3 and a iPhone 5, all with the same results and behavior. I'm not going to pay 38k for a car that I can't make a call from it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
How did you wind up with a $38,000 6?!

As for the phone problems that is one of the reasons I went with the Sport; the other being that I WANTED the stick and if I was going to have leather, I want REAL leather. That left me with one choice and I'm torn on the in-car nav and phone stuff as opposed to using my usual bluetooth earpiece. I also got to keep more than 10 large buying the Sport, which is a huge percentage decrease considering that I gave up nothing in engine power or driveability.

I'm not at all sure having car system do this job is actually a step forward at all, but if I decide it is an aftermarket head unit is easy to swap in on these cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an Android phone and it was reacting the same way. Each time it was a big ordeal to connect, until I checked the box on the phone to connect automatically. Now I get no splash screen on the phone and it works fine. Connects within 20 seconds.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid 38k beacuase I live in Puerto Rico. All cars are subject to high import taxation here. For example, a rule of thumb for BMWs prices is MSRP X 1.4. If the MSRP is 39,999 you will end paying 55k aprox. For a GT model w/ tech pkg, 32k MSRP you will end paying like an additional 8k.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an Android phone and it was reacting the same way. Each time it was a big ordeal to connect, until I checked the box on the phone to connect automatically. Now I get no splash screen on the phone and it works fine. Connects within 20 seconds.
Interesting. Where is that setting and what android phone/os version do you have?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Android 4.1.2. The check box was on a splash screen that came up on the phone while it was connecting. I had to approve the connection each time before I checked that box. No problems since.
Ok. I have the KitKat version, 4.4.2 and when connecting for the first time it ask me to grant permission to read the contacts, phone history, media and message access. I press Yes for each one and it works fine the first time. The problem is when I turn off the car and turn it on again. It start to download all the phone book again. Sometimes it finish after 6 minutes and sometimes it get stuck downloading forever. Anyways, when it says that the phone book was successfully downloaded I go to the phone book and the Phonebook Not Found message appears. It ask me again to download it again and the Yes option is grayed out. At this point I can only receive calls but I can't make them using the unit. Later its stops working completely and I have to reset everything, the unit, the phone and the car and start the process all over again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also when it download all the phone book some contact are missing, like my wife and my boss contacts, but I resolved this installing an app called Bluetooth Phonebook V1.1.7. These kind of issues can be expected in old cars models but in a 2014 car its kind of weird. It's like working with old technology in terms of compatibility.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have much to add but I would definitely say you have a zero percent chance of the dealer accepting the car back
Yes, you are right. It's gonna be complicated. At least the dealer accepted that the unit is not working correctly. So, I hope for my own sake and my sanity that this issue can be resolved.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had my entire bluetooth stop working, kinda like your situation. I had bluetooth and USB and all of a sudden it stopped working. It was a faulty hardware problem. I have never had bad luck with mazda ' s techs. If the bluetooth doesn't work anymore they will fix it, they have to under warranty.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Ok. I have the KitKat version, 4.4.2 and when connecting for the first time it ask me to grant permission to read the contacts, phone history, media and message access. I press Yes for each one and it works fine the first time. The problem is when I turn off the car and turn it on again. It start to download all the phone book again. Sometimes it finish after 6 minutes and sometimes it get stuck downloading forever. Anyways, when it says that the phone book was successfully downloaded I go to the phone book and the Phonebook Not Found message appears. It ask me again to download it again and the Yes option is grayed out. At this point I can only receive calls but I can't make them using the unit. Later its stops working completely and I have to reset everything, the unit, the phone and the car and start the process all over again.
I have (upgraded to) 4.4.2 Kitkat as well (LG G2) from Jellybean 4.2.2.

Seriously, I never had phonebook downloading issues (car on/off, 6 minutes?!, stuck downloading, "phone book not found", only receive calls, etc)..on either versions.

Sorry to say this..but your NB1 is doing weird things. Have it fixed..by getting first a case number and direct e-mail contact via Mazda Corporate CS. If I were you...on a brand new car, I'd surely RAISE HELL (on that email, to Corporate). Your "conduit" to fix that issue effectively is thru Mazda Corporate (they call the shots, Mazda Corporate is the dealer's paymasters for warranty claims). Good Luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
@OP, if you have genuine recourse in returning the vehicle, do yourself a favor and exercise that recourse before your window of opportunity closes. If you think the vehicle is unfinished at this early stage, your disdain will only grow exponentially over time; particularly if your measuring stick comes from a previous Bimmer (many of which are rightfully considered notoriously unreliable in their own right). Welcome to the wonderful world of Mazda for a brief or as long as your ownership experience may be. I will truly be surporised if your new module behaves materially differently than the module deemed by Mazda to be defective. Hopefully I am wrong, and that the replacement module will solve "some" of your complaints, many of which are documented ad-nauseum on this site.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts