Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined up with this site yesterday, and I have some concerns about the 3.0L V6 that maybe you can all help me clarify.

I'm a little scared off the idea of buying a 6 due to the frequency of thread titles like these:
New ticking to let bother us!
engine ticking 1 2
Knocking at Low RPM
SMOKING at startup and in stop & go traffic-HELP!
Oh my word! I need help asap! 1 2
New noise occuring
Lost power
Need Help ASAP
Back to the dealer it goes
Rattling noise under acceleration
whine?
New motor!! 34k miles!
Whats wrong with my car?
Fan Control Module Acting Up
Tune-up a lot sooner than expected

Now are these all due to poor maintenance by owners, or does this seem to be a trend with this car?

·
Registered
431 Posts
You will always see more posts on problems than you would from people not having problems. People just dont post when they "dont have a rattle" etc.

I've had 2 different 6S (2004 and 2005) and neither one has had anything other than a typical car would have.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i agree. the mazda 6 has a great record for reliability. if you want to look at somthing like that, its not a good idea to check on a forum. you should check consumer reports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JTZako@Nov 11 2005, 02:38 PM
You will always see more posts on problems than you would from people not having problems.  People just dont post when they "dont have a rattle" etc.

I've had 2 different 6S (2004 and 2005) and neither one has had anything other than a typical car would have.
[snapback]555574[/snapback]​
The reason I asked that is because I see some various problem threads on other forums...but it just seemed to be excessive here.
I look through my Toyota and Truck forums and don't see constant new threads about engine knocks, strange noises...and heaven forbid a new motor at 34k...
All I'm looking for some feedback on this subject from current owners to determine whether the 6 is a worth-while investment as a project car...or I should go back to my original idea of an F-Body.

...the reason I joined this forum was for some research into this car...which I LOVED when I drove it. But as with all large purchases, I like to learn about them first. Exactly why people don't buy Mitsubishi anymore, because everyone complains about the quality.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Originally posted by DeebsTundra@Nov 11 2005, 07:20 PM
The reason I asked that is because I see some various problem threads on other forums...but it just seemed to be excessive here. 
I look through my Toyota and Truck forums and don't see constant new threads about engine knocks, strange noises...and heaven forbid a new motor at 34k...
All I'm looking for some feedback on this subject from current owners to determine whether the 6 is a worth-while investment as a project car...or I should go back to my original idea of an F-Body.

...the reason I joined this forum was for some research into this car...which I LOVED when I drove it.  But as with all large purchases, I like to learn about them first.  Exactly why people don't buy Mitsubishi anymore, because everyone complains about the quality.
[snapback]555630[/snapback]​
Well, I'd say no car is perfect. Any car even though the German cars, have problems too. According to some researches, Japanese cars are most reliable compared to European cars. The reason that we post up the problems is because we DO care about it. Actually, not everyone has these kinda problems. Like me, I don't have problem so far. Itz like every 100 of 6 produced, a few percent of them have the problems. The factories are trying to make their products perfectly but most likely, itz impossible. And a little problem can be fixed easily if you find out where it comes from.
Mitsubishi? Obviously itz not my taste due to its cheap ass interior. For its most famous product- EVO. I don't know why people are so crazy in it, basically they just pay extra money for a modded car with twins turbo and intercoolers but what else??? I'd think itz a piece of crap since we can find these parts in the aftermarket too.
In short, there're some outstanding brands of car manufacturer in every continent since customers have good reviews on them and they're probably what you're looking for.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
As was said, this particular area of the Forum is largely for posting problems (it's actually made for discussing engine-specific modifications primarily, but since there are few to discuss, that leaves most of the posts to be about problems). It follows that it will be full of people posting about their problems and largely consist of such threads.

If the Forum was like most you come across, and there wasn't a specific area for posting problems with a specific motor, you wouldn't see as many of the threads in a concentrated area, making the problems appear worse. While the threads you posted are only across 4 or 5 pages, they're spread out over a full 3 months. In that same time, there's been almost 100,000 posts on this Forum. So the posts, although concentrated in this particular Forum and appearing more common, would be virtually impossible to find if mixed in with every other post. Even considering that people that are unhappy are much more likey to talk about it than those that are, the complaint posts are still a very very tiny fraction of the overall posts.

If you go to Forums that arrange their forums similarly, you will see the exact same thing going on. It doesn't matter if they're Suzuki forums or Lexus forums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Sigma@Nov 11 2005, 06:19 PM
As was said, this particular area of the Forum is largely for posting problems (it's actually made for discussing engine-specific modifications primarily, but since there are few to discuss, that leaves most of the posts to be about problems).  It follows that it will be full of people posting about their problems and largely consist of such threads.

If the Forum was like most you come across, and there wasn't a specific area for posting problems with a specific motor, you wouldn't see as many of the threads in a concentrated area, making the problems appear worse.    While the threads you posted are only across 4 or 5 pages, they're spread out over a full 3 months.  In that same time, there's been almost 100,000 posts on this Forum.  So the posts, although concentrated in this particular Forum and appearing more common, would be virtually impossible to find if mixed in with every other post.  Even considering that people that are unhappy are  much more likey to talk about it than those that are, the complaint posts are still a very very tiny fraction of the overall posts.

If you go to Forums that arrange their forums similarly, you will see the exact same thing going on.  It doesn't matter if they're Suzuki forums or Lexus forums.
[snapback]555694[/snapback]​
All-true. I am by no means saying that the Mazda6 is a poorly built car. I believe that it is. However, of all the forums I visit, even with sub-forums for specific engine types etc...I still see a greater trend of "help me" posts.
Perhaps, I'm simply not explaining my concerns properly.
I appreciate the input.
:)

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The way to look at it is. Count the number of negative threads. Compare that to the number of active threads. Find a percentage.

On the rx8 forum there was a big deal about a whole slew of engines failing suddenly. About 10-15 people were effected and everyone was freaking out.

Then someone realized that was only 0.02% of the total rx8club membership, and not even 1% of the registered car owners on the forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by DeebsTundra@Nov 11 2005, 05:04 PM
I just joined up with this site yesterday, and I have some concerns about the 3.0L V6 that maybe you can all help me clarify. 

I'm a little scared off the idea of buying a 6 due to the frequency of thread titles like these:
New ticking to let bother us!
engine ticking 1 2
Knocking at Low RPM
SMOKING at startup and in stop & go traffic-HELP!
Oh my word! I need help asap! 1 2
New noise occuring
Lost power
Need Help ASAP
Back to the dealer it goes
Rattling noise under acceleration
whine?
New motor!! 34k miles!
Whats wrong with my car?
Fan Control Module Acting Up
Tune-up a lot sooner than expected

Now are these all due to poor maintenance by owners, or does this seem to be a trend with this car?
[snapback]555560[/snapback]​
If you were to ask me I would say there is a problem but that's because I seem to be having every problem covered in every service bulletin out there but I also understand that there are a whole lot of owners who couldn't be happier with the car. Nothing I've had to date seems to be 'serious' just a little annoying to an anal retentive perfectionist. (i.e. rattles, squeaks etc. ) My only concern still is the ticking/tapping/rattling/knocking that I mentioned on the post "Knocking at low RPMs". If it turns out to be nothing and they can get rid of it than I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Originally posted by DeebsTundra@Nov 11 2005, 04:04 PM
I just joined up with this site yesterday, and I have some concerns about the 3.0L V6 that maybe you can all help me clarify.  d

[snapback]555560[/snapback]​
It's a trend with message boards. Who's going to login and post that thier car is running really well? People with problems will tend to find message boards to post on, people without problems tend to just drive around so you are already unbalanced. I just read the problems that people report so I'll know if I notice one too if it's worth taking to a dealer or not. Cars aren't perfect though and there will always be reported problems real or imagined no matter which one you buy.

There does seem to be a flood of newbies with odd noises lately though, apparently they didn't get the memo that Mazda has established a service program including something called a warranty. I'm not quite sure what it all means but maybe someone could call into Mazda and see whats up with that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by Damien@Nov 16 2005, 10:54 AM
It's a trend with message boards.  Who's going to login and post that thier car is running really well?  People with problems will tend to find message boards to post on, people without problems tend to just drive around so you are already unbalanced.  I just read the problems that people report so I'll know if I notice one too if it's worth taking to a dealer or not.  Cars aren't perfect though and there will always be reported problems real or imagined no matter which one you buy.

There does seem to be a flood of newbies with odd noises lately though, apparently they didn't get the memo that Mazda has established a service program including something called a warranty.  I'm not quite sure what it all means but maybe someone could call into Mazda and see whats up with that.
[snapback]558798[/snapback]​
Hey Damien we can do without the sarcasm - "apparently they didn't get the memo that Mazda has established a service program including something called a warranty". If you try reading the posts a little closer you'll see that we have all tried to get a dealer to fix the issue under the warranty but these lazy, unintelligent Mazda service techs don't seem to know how to fix anything unless Mazda staples a TSB to their forehead and even then they can't seem to get it right. Most of us are just hoping that someone out there was lucky enough to come across a tech who didn't have his head in his a$$ and actually fixed the problem. It's weird how some of you people take it personally when we criticize the 6 like we were talking about your mother. I'm glad you never had a problem with your vehicle but that doesn't discount the problems we are having. I thought that was the point of this site...to help each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by JMoney6@Nov 16 2005, 09:57 AM
...to help each other.
[snapback]558911[/snapback]​
That's the whole reason I asked the question to begin with. Nobody wants to buy something that's going to break down right?
I posted the question up, not to irritate and enrage Mazda 6 owners, because like I said, I believe the car is a well-built car. I was simply asking a question, hoping to receive some insight and comments from members, as opposed to making my own conclusions about post titles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've never done this, so I don't know the outcome, but check the sites of other cars you're considering and see if they have the same type of threads.

Incidentally you'll see threads like, "I love this car" and "Does anyone else make excuses to drive?" In this forum too.

You'll want to look for those in other car forums too.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
You talk about a problematic car.....Try driving a Mitsubishi, or a Suzuki.

Then come back here and talk....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
J Dragon
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing