Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will be dedicated to my track driving progress of my 2015 Mazda 6. Since there are little to no track driven Mazda 6's (especially the 3rd generation) I hope this thread is interesting for you guys and maybe even inspire more track driven 6's!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Streets of Willow 6/29/19 (Rosamond, CA)

My Build:
-CorkSport Front Strut Tower Bar
-CorkSport Axleback Exhaust
-CorkSport Rear Sway Bar
-Powerstop Brake Pads
-Centric Rotors

Goal Time: 1:45

Actual Times:

Session 1: 1:55.737
Session 2: 1:57.767 (+0:02.03)
Session 3: 1:49.909 (-0:07.858)
Session 4: 1:48.158 (-0:01.751)
Session 5: 1:47.453 (-0:00.705)
Session 6: 1:46.241 (-0.01.212)
Session 7: 1:47.642 (+0.01.401)
Session 8: 1:46.070 (-0:01.572)

Overview:

Sessions 1-2: served as laps to help me get to know the track
Session 3-5: started to get comfortable and started pushing the car
Session 6-8: 90% comfortable with the track and started putting down consistent times

When I return to Streets of Willow, my new goal is to get sub 1:40. How will I achieve this?

-Coilovers
-Better braking and race lines
-Better conditions (cooler temperatures)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been a long time since an update on this thread, I have signed up for another track event hosted by SpeedVentures. The track I'm going on this time is Buttonwillow on 12/21! The main focus of track days are to have fun, improve driving skills and break some personal best times!

Goal Time: 2:15-2:20

This is kind of a huge goal, but I think I can do it as I plan on installing coilovers before this next track day as opposed to my stock suspension which I used at Streets of Willow.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tires are the single best handling mod you can do, I'd add them over coil overs first, personally.
Definitely been looking into some performance tires, I was thinking of going a staggered set up. 255/235 maybe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definitely been looking into some performance tires, I was thinking of going a staggered set up. 255/235 maybe
I would highly recommend not doing staggered yet until you've had a good set of summer tires on this car and can handle that well. But this is my opinion only so feel free to do what you wish :)

Here are my reasons why:

1) Other suspension components may not be able to handle it: If you put on a set of good tires on your current tires (like 225 width Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S), this is an insane amount of grip for corners and would already be putting more cornering load on your suspension components than the car was designed for.

2) A staggered setup will affect your suspension geometry, moving your center line of steering axis and center of driving contact patch. Check out an engineering explained video on how the Civic Type R eliminates torque steer. A lot of tuning and engineering goes into the contact patch location.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would highly recommend not doing staggered yet until you've had a good set of summer tires on this car and can handle that well. But this is my opinion only so feel free to do what you wish :)

Here are my reasons why:

1) Other suspension components may not be able to handle it: If you put on a set of good tires on your current tires (like 225 width Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S), this is an insane amount of grip for corners and would already be putting more cornering load on your suspension components than the car was designed for.

2) A staggered setup will affect your suspension geometry, moving your center line of steering axis and center of driving contact patch. Check out an engineering explained video on how the Civic Type R eliminates torque steer. A lot of tuning and engineering goes into the contact patch location.

I agree with that notion and will hold off on the staggered set up until I'm more experienced on summer tires. Since you brought up cornering load, do you think switching to coilovers and utilizing camber arms in the rear will eliminate that worry?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Being honest, no idea what that would change. You might have to see how it feels for you. If it were me, I'd try it stock to get used to it with some good Michelin PS4S tires first, then make any changes to the suspension and document it carefully to see how it feels for you.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Being honest, no idea what that would change. You might have to see how it feels for you. If it were me, I'd try it stock to get used to it with some good Michelin PS4S tires first, then make any changes to the suspension and document it carefully to see how it feels for you.
This is what I was told, use stock until you can precisely predict how the car will react until you hit the "wall".

That is, until you reach your limit with the car. This is assuming that you have continuously upgraded the most necessary component, the "Driver".

From there that you can no longer improve on your time, that is the best moment to start upgrading components. The idea behind is, you are getting faster not because you have upgraded your car but you as a driver has improved.

Well, what do I know about this topic? I haven't been upgrading "the Driver". How I wish I'll have the opportunity to run again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is what I was told, use stock until you can precisely predict how the car will react until you hit the "wall".

That is, until you reach your limit with the car. This is assuming that you have continuously upgraded the most necessary component, the "Driver".

From there that you can no longer improve on your time, that is the best moment to start upgrading components. The idea behind is, you are getting faster not because you have upgraded your car but you as a driver has improved.

Well, what do I know about this topic? I haven't been upgrading "the Driver". How I wish I'll have the opportunity to run again.
I believe you're absolutely right, the driver mod is so necessary. I've met a few folks who are so good and consistent that they can keep their (insanely quick) time across five runs to between 0.5 seconds. Because of their consistency, they can easily tell when a tweak is helping or hurting their car performance. Might take a while to get there.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe you're absolutely right, the driver mod is so necessary. I've met a few folks who are so good and consistent that they can keep their (insanely quick) time across five runs to between 0.5 seconds. Because of their consistency, they can easily tell when a tweak is helping or hurting their car performance. Might take a while to get there.
I'm nowhere near putting down times between 0.5 seconds, but on my track day I put down consistent times within the second of each other. Driver mod is something I am constantly working on, whether it be practicing racing lines, braking techniques or controlling rotation in a FWD. I do have to say that I believe I've reached about 90-95% of the limit of the current set up so whether I upgrade suspension or tires one of those is in order for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm nowhere near putting down times between 0.5 seconds, but on my track day I put down consistent times within the second of each other. Driver mod is something I am constantly working on, whether it be practicing racing lines, braking techniques or controlling rotation in a FWD. I do have to say that I believe I've reached about 90-95% of the limit of the current set up so whether I upgrade suspension or tires one of those is in order for sure.
I can only speak from my own experience, but my suggestion is to not be so quick to think that you've maxed out the car. The chassis is so capable and even after 10+ times at autoX, I've met others who can autocross still 2 seconds per run faster than me in a similar car. Mind keeps getting blown.

On a longer track, they'd easily be 10 seconds ahead. But who knows, maybe I'm just a slow driver 😬

·
Registered
821 Posts
I can only speak from my own experience, but my suggestion is to not be so quick to think that you've maxed out the car. The chassis is so capable and even after 10+ times at autoX, I've met others who can autocross still 2 seconds per run faster than me in a similar car. Mind keeps getting blown.

On a longer track, they'd easily be 10 seconds ahead. But who knows, maybe I'm just a slow driver
Someone said that autocross is much more abusive to the car compared to racing on a track. Is this true?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Someone said that autocross is much more abusive to the car compared to racing on a track. Is this true?
I don't think so. You are at most accelerating and cornering hard for 30 seconds per run on autocross, with time inbetween for engine, brakes, transmission, etc to cool. Total time working the car hard may be 5 mins over a whole day

On a track with 4 x 30 minute sessions (2 hour track time total), your fluid temperatures rise far beyond normal road conditions with very little time between to cool. Also, kinetic energy is 0.5 x m x v^2. With longer straightaways, you have much higher velocity, and you have to be really hard on your brakes to bring it down from 100+ mph to 40mph to make a tight turn. And you will have to do this repeatedly - heavy braking, heavy cornering, and then heavy acceleration. With heavy cornering loads for long periods, it can also lead to oil starvation if you have good track tires that can pull 1G+ but don't have a good dry sump when your oil gets pushed to one side of the car. That could be bad!

In my personal experience, I've noticed both tire wear, brake wear, suspension wear to be much harder on track than autoX.

·
Registered
60 Posts
But even with all the consumables needed for the track, track driving is a ton of fun.... so props to Modzas6x who started this thread and is going out on track!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

On a longer track, they'd easily be 10 seconds ahead. But who knows, maybe I'm just a slow driver 😬

Definitely a great point, I still need much more experience on this chassis to talk about the limit. I shall get closer and closer after every event!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But even with all the consumables needed for the track, track driving is a ton of fun.... so props to Modzas6x who started this thread and is going out on track!

Next month I will have a detailed report on how it goes on Buttonwillow! It is a much more challenging track than Streets of Willow and it is also much longer!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts