Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent seen any 3.0 owners mention they've tried this one yet. Anyone tried it yet, or at least have any thoughts to share on it's efficacy and/or safety?

I'm wondering if, like some other mods, this one might yield the same percentage gain on the 3.0 as it does on the 2.3, and hence offer greater absolute gain. One guy in the 2.3 section documented an apparent gain via a dyno run.

According to Two Wheelin our sensor is not slotted like the one on the 2.3, with he felt that with some simple Dremel work it could be rotated easily enough. I've yet to eyeball it personally but plan to have a looky this weekend.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I would be very careful with this. Besides getting to the rear one is kinda tight. MrTea found out the hard way (to an extent) that playing with the position sensor can be dangerous if done in correctly. Now I am not saying what he did was wrong...but he was merely experimenting with it for potential gains. The easiest way to control timing is to go with a stand alone engine management tool. I am currently working on this. No I cannot provide any detail at this time.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would be very careful with this. Besides getting to the rear one is kinda tight. MrTea found out the hard way (to an extent) that playing with the position sensor can be dangerous if done in correctly. Now I am not saying what he did was wrong...but he was merely experimenting with it for potential gains. The easiest way to control timing is to go with a stand alone engine management tool. I am currently working on this. No I cannot provide any detail at this time.
[/b]
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down a second there buddy...you can't possibly think we're going let a comment like "...stand alone engine management tool. I am currently working on this" pass by without any comments like "WTF?!?!?!" "Are you serious?!?!" and "Damn, that's going to be way too expensive, can I get it for $25 with free shipping?!?!?" do you? :D

Seriously? Something's in the works?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think you should stop hacking up a perfectly good car. You bored out a throttle body which despite what you say, will give you only the slightest of gain if any, you hacked up your front bumper thinking you know more than the people who DESIGNED AND BUILT the car, and now you wanna screw with a sensor in hopes of getting more power? Sorry but you're a moron. Buy a faster car if you want more power.

I stay off this site for the most part but always come back once in a while to check my friend's car and see what he's up to. I've followed your threads and cannot believe the ideas you come up with. Step back for a minute and really think hard about what you're doing. You're voiding your warranty left and right and killing the resale value and you're not even making any improvements.

But after all is said and done, it's your car. Enjoy ruining it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you should stop hacking up a perfectly good car. You bored out a throttle body which despite what you say, will give you only the slightest of gain if any, you hacked up your front bumper thinking you know more than the people who DESIGNED AND BUILT the car, and now you wanna screw with a sensor in hopes of getting more power? Sorry but you're a moron. Buy a faster car if you want more power.

I stay off this site for the most part but always come back once in a while to check my friend's car and see what he's up to. I've followed your threads and cannot believe the ideas you come up with. Step back for a minute and really think hard about what you're doing. You're voiding your warranty left and right and killing the resale value and you're not even making any improvements.

[/b]

You seem to have fixated on me. Thanks for the attention to my threads, but perhaps you should read the 2.3l section occasionally where most of my "ideas" were first explored and executed and tell them they're morons.

For anyone else reading, the only (original) idea I've "come up with" was modding the front grill to allow cool air induction. I havent touched the front bumper.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts

[/b]

whoa, where did that come from??

first off, the mod works on the 2.3, so she thinks it might work on the 3.0....that's not too much of a stretch is it? and like you said, it's her car, give advice or ideas, not just knock her. i don't think anywhere she said she was worried about her warranty, did you? she never told anyone else to do anything, just giving her insight on what she's done. and lastly, if you think OEM designers think everything from optimum perfromance point of view, then you are sorely mistaken. she's trying to see some of those points.

the only problem i had with this mod was....a turbo. after adjusting an aftermarket pulley, i set the sensor to advance, rather than retard.....then i had a piston split down the middle, it was great. just make sure you start with a tank of premium before you start....make some adjustments, if you don't feel anything, then put it back to stock and chaulk it up to lessons learned.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after adjusting an aftermarket pulley, i set the sensor to advance, rather than retard.....then i had a piston split down the middle, it was great. just make sure you start with a tank of premium before you start....make some adjustments, if you don't feel anything, then put it back to stock and chaulk it up to lessons learned.
[/b]
HOLY CRAP!

Anyway, yes my plan was basically as you outlined it. With an empty tank I was going to fill with 89 octane and advance it conservatively, drive it for 20-30 miles to gauge for pinging and/or increased performance, and then go from there.

Tea, my only queston is whether the lack of pinging indicates it's neccesarily ok to keep advancing?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

[/b]
hahaha

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

[/b]

Um. Hmm. Shut up. I cant believe you took the time to write that.

·
Registered
531 Posts

[/b]

I like an honest man/woman, but c'mon, why the name calling? She definately has the mod bug and has more guts than most here (me included), but I do agree a little with your post. Messing with a daily driver at this level is playing with fire imo, unless of course it's not a daily driver and the bank account has enough funds readily available to fix/replace anything that might break.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Messing with a daily driver at this level is playing with fire imo, unless of course it's not a daily driver and the bank account has enough funds readily available to fix/replace anything that might break.
[/b]

Not sure exactly what you mean by "this level", but yes any modding at all assumes you release your dealership from liability.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not sure exactly what you mean by "this level", but yes any modding at all assumes you release your dealership from liability.
[/b]

Yeah I apologize, I meant 'level' in terms of importance. Messing with the intake is one thing, but a mistake with this sensor and BOOM!!!! Time for a new engine.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
yeah, that was due to advancing timing with the turbo AND running a focus crank pulley that had teeth spaced incorrectly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well my apologies for the name calling. Why the trouble with engine bay heat? Mazda didn't seem to think this was a problem? Or maybe you have a turbo under there? Doubtful.

How about instead of doing these "mods" which seem half assed, why don't you bore your block over. It would yeild better results than boring a TB. Find some pistons that lower the compression ratio and slap on a do it yourself turbo kit. Take the battery and put it in the trunk and you might have enough room for a small turbo.

Again, apologies for the name calling but there are better mods out there. Just because a kit doesn't exist doesn't mean you can't do it yourself. That's how everything starts out.

And by the way, you did ask for people's thoughts. I used to own a 6 until it was killed by some old wench. It's a beautiful car and I'd hate to see anyone take shortcuts when it comes to modifying it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
14 Participants
djquik1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing